Can this 2022 offense rival the 2011 team? (1 Viewer)

Breesusdat

Deep Threat
Reaction score
A bold proposition, I know. But hear me out. Winston has an absolute cannon and he finally has some legitimate weapons. I was impressed last year with his decision making and while he isn’t vintage Drew back there, I see some serious potential. If MT can resemble his old self, Olave lives up to the hype and Landry is serviceable in the slot defenses will almost always leave one of them with less than desirable coverage. Not to mention Kamara being a threat out of the backfield on every play (assuming any suspension is limited and he is present for most of the season). Where is the weak spot here? TE could be the one hole at the moment but there is always the possibility Trautman can figure it out. Add in a solid O-line for protection and I think we can see some significant numbers out of this offense.

Pair that with our defense which should only improve from last season and this team in my book is a lock for the playoffs and could even go the distance. Thoughts?

It all hinges on Winston, and to some extent Carmichael. If he can grow from what he was last season before he got hurt, then yeah. I think this offense can be something special. Harty, specifically, is someone I think will see a lot of success in this offense if it all comes together. He's very underrated as a route runner, imo, and mix that kind of speed with Olave, Thomas, and Kamara as a safety valve, and you have a threat. Harris is going to be better than any team's #3 or #4 corner. Every time. I think outside of Winston, Taysom is the question mark. Defenses can't put a corner on him, and they certainly can't put most LB'ers on him. That will take a safety out of coverage, so if he can stay healthy, that's another possible threat. Again, assuming he can figure it out. Trautman, I don't really have a ton of confidence in, but on the other side of it, that leaves a lot of room for him to exceed them.

I think a lot of it also hinges on the type of offense we'll be running. Carmichael might stick with the WC and taking shots, or he might go full vertical. It's hard to say at this point. Winston is variable in the equation, imo. Even if he's just a game manager (Alex Smith-esque.), the team is legit. If all those Heisman intangibles and those years under Brees/SP start to finally come together with that arm talent? The sky's absolutely the limit for this team. Maybe even one of the more dominant teams football has ever seen. That's a big if, though. We just have to wait and see.

A bold proposition, I know. But hear me out. Winston has an absolute cannon and he finally has some legitimate weapons. I was impressed last year with his decision making and while he isn’t vintage Drew back there, I see some serious potential. If MT can resemble his old self, Olave lives up to the hype and Landry is serviceable in the slot defenses will almost always leave one of them with less than desirable coverage. Not to mention Kamara being a threat out of the backfield on every play (assuming any suspension is limited and he is present for most of the season). Where is the weak spot here? TE could be the one hole at the moment but there is always the possibility Trautman can figure it out. Add in a solid O-line for protection and I think we can see some significant numbers out of this offense.

Pair that with our defense which should only improve from last season and this team in my book is a lock for the playoffs and could even go the distance. Thoughts?
You make it sound like it is so easy to replicate.

No. There is no Sproles or PT. Also no Graham. Itll be best we seen since first half of 2018 though.

That offense was magical until Dallas figured how to stop it. They went from raining all over Philly to not being able to score on Dallas.

2011 Brees and the 2011 Offensive Line are just in a completely different universe unless/until the 2022 lineup can prove otherwise.

No. There is no Sproles or PT. Also no Graham. Itll be best we seen since first half of 2018 though.

That offense was magical until Dallas figured how to stop it. They went from raining all over Philly to not being able to score on Dallas.

That was so crazy to watch.

Lets pump the brakes.

I think the offense will be really good, but 2011 good??? I can't see it.

Wasn’t it revealed that Drew got injured in that game? Like his knee or foot or shoulder or something.

I think he was quietly struggling though an injury the remainder of the season.

But - to your point. Once teams realized that he couldn’t hit the deep ball as well as he used to, they clogged up the mid-range stuff and ramped up the pressure. That’s how the Rams eventually defended us in the NFCCG. Still should have won - but for a terrible no-call….but still, it might not have been close enough to steal had Drew not been so harassed that game - and if our rookie TE could catch and our special teams could sniff out an obvious fake punt situation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom