Can we all agree this is wrong (and needs to be changed)? (1 Viewer)

brophy

Very Banned
Reaction score
OffenderAges.jpg

Mugshots:

JSO.jpg

780927pc7.jpg

8007435.jpg

SOP07081.jpg

SOP04716.jpg

254860vb6.jpg

8007185.jpg

These are just a few of the boys who now make up the majority of "adult" sex-offenders. Almost all such cases involve underage boys messing around with underage girls, often their own age or older. Apparently, puberty is now a crime.

These boys are all registered sex-offenders now, a status that they will keep for the rest of their lives (no, it doesn't go away when they turn 18). Their lives are essentially ruined before they even began. And what's worse, is that simple common sense tells us that, by the same standards, every one of us belongs the sex-offender registry -- including the judges, prosecutors and legislators responsible for this. The hypocrisy here is almost palpable.

This specific information comes from a blog I found on reddit today (I'll link to it at the bottom). I know that a blog hardly counts as a solid news-source, but I've been hearing about this situation for a few years. Somehow seeing the sex-offender mug-shots of these kids really illustrates how insane our society is becoming.

Here's the link to the blog, if you feel the need to check it out. I'll warn you that the blogger is rather mellow-dramatic about the whole thing but the information was worth the read.

http://freestudents.blogspot.com/2009/09/there-is-fury-and-and-sadness-inside.html

Very wrong. I wasn't aware the charges were not expunged when you turn 18. Very sad situation for most of these kids. Convicted felons definitely have a hard time finding decent jobs.

While I am sure some of these kids that are sexual deviants, there has to be some standard that says concensual sex is not a crime.

Wow. Harsh. Kids just tryin to cop a feel. Although I think this has a lot to do with parenting. If I found out my daughter was getting felt up, I wouldn't press charges, I'd just chain to the wall in the basement.

Yep, and now when people see them in 20 years as sex offenders they will think these poor gents are monsters. Good ole justice playing it's part.

The "Megan's Laws" in this country are a classic case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Legislators are notorious for making harsh laws that go too far in response to crimes. They don't think ahead or examine possible scenarios. The intent of the Megan's Laws are to protect little kids from pervy adults, but in the meantime, teenage and early 20s guys get thrown under the jail for getting laid consensually by girls who are 15 and look 20. They are guilty of not carding their dates. Newsflash: girls lie about their age! Teenage girls almost always have crushes on guys too old for them, and will lie and say they are older. Sometimes it is just assumed and there wasn't a lie. The first "date" I ever had was a chaperoned movie outing. He was 18 and I was 14. First, I can't believe my mother agreed, but since it was chaperoned I guess that made the difference. We went to church together, not school, so he didn't know what grade I was in. It just never came up. But during this date when I said I'd be 15 on my birthday...shock. Afterward he said we couldn't go to the movies again because he didn't realize I was only 14. Point is, he didn't know I was in the eighth grade, but I damn sure knew he was a (dreamy) senior. Get the point? The girl always knows the score and the guy doesn't always.

In my state, the official age of consent is 16. Statutory rape requires the girl be under 16 and the boy be more than two years older. So if the girl is, say, 15, and the boy is 17 and a half, he can be convicted of statutory rape and be labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life. This is wrong. If I was a defense attorney, I would challenge that all the way to the SCOTUS.

I always thought that jail time or any other punitive legal sanction is considered "paying your debt to society". So why is it convicted felons cannot vote or get decent jobs? It seems these tags follow people all their lives, and are NOT lifted upon relase from jail, juvenile detention, etc.

It does seem unfair IMHO

I don't think we're talking about "age-lying" anamolies or mix ups, we're talking about teens following the natural course of actions of teens...... Experimenting sexually with peers.

This is a abominable "crime"!?

What you, in your clumsy adoslesce, did 15 years ago, should haunt you for the rest of your Chris-Hansen-life?

I always thought that jail time or any other punitive legal sanction is considered "paying your debt to society". So why is it convicted felons cannot vote or get decent jobs? It seems these tags follow people all their lives, and are NOT lifted upon relase from jail, juvenile detention, etc.

It does seem unfair IMHO

It's like Jean Valjean in Les Miserables. Changed his identity so his prison record wouldn't hold him back, became a gloriously upstanding citizen. But he had to change his identity. That was possible in fiction, pre-Revolutionary France, but not possible in today's real world. You can petition to have your voting rights reinstated, and you can petition to have your record expunged, but most of the time an error will haunt you forever.

I don't think we're talking about "age-lying" anamolies or mix ups, we're talking about teens following the natural course of actions of teens...... Experimenting sexually with peers.

This is a abominable "crime"!?

What you, in your clumsy adoslesce, did 15 years ago, should haunt you for the rest of your Chris-Hansen-life?

Babe, we're on the same page. That was just an example of how a guy can get in trouble when he didn't even mean to.

Corrected with a simple insertion of an age clause. Say a three year difference in age under the age of eighteen, a five year difference in age up to twenty-one, and from there back to the "under eighteen makes you a pedophile for life" club. There is no way to conscionably say that an seventeen year old boy can "fool around" with a twelve year old girl and it be consensual. So, if we protect for those situations, then I think legislation fixing the issue would pass easily....

any amount of digging you would do - even casually - into the nature of juvenile incarceration in this country would probably disturb you

it really is a shame and in many ways still quite medieval

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom