Can we beat the Rams? (1 Viewer)

Obviously we have a few weeks before the matchup that all of the NFL watching world is waiting for, but since the Pats vs Chiefs game last week, this is the game everyone is waiting for because you have a perfect team playing a near perfect team, and they are #1 and #2 in the NFC. This game will have home field implications, and it will show who has the inside track for the rest of the season.

The talking heads are really in the fence with this one. Since the Rams win yesterday everyone is wondering, “who will be the first team to beat the Rams this season, or will they go undefeated?” People are quick to point out the 11/4 matchup vs the Saints, but nobody can say for certain who will come out the victor.

Obviously as Saints fans we all are going to say the Rams die in the Superdome, but the Rams have more weapons than we have seen (the Falcons aren’t on the Rams level), and they mirror the Saints in strength for strength.

How do you see the Rams game going?

YES, without a doubt.

I am talking about adversity - injuries, under performing players, struggling against bad opponents. The Redskins have taken significant injury hits to their RB group all season long so far. They lost their projected starter (Guice) for the season, they lost Robert Kelley for the season, Samaje Perine is just now getting healthy, Chris Thompson has been dealing with injuries (including sustaining another one against us early in the game), and AP was injured twice against us. Their only healthy option at RB against us was Kapri Bibbs and he is not very good. That is significant adversity for an offense that depends heavily on the run. Jordan Reed has largely been a non factor this season, and their WR group is one of the worst in the league. Their defense is very good, but their offense is behind the 8 ball. We matched up perfectly against them, and we got them at home on a Monday night to boot. Additionally, the Redskins have struggled against some really poor teams. Even in their wins, they aren't consistent putting points on the board. A very large majority of their points come in 1 quarter, and then they get blanked the rest of the game. The Vikings are facing the same adversity, but on the opposite side of the ball. Their offense is stellar, but their defense has abnormally struggled. They still have plenty of talent on that side, but their strengths have either under performed, or taken significant injury/absence hits.

I agree that week 7 records don't make teams equal, but 7 weeks of football is kind of all we have to go on at the moment. If I can't credit and compare team records in week 7, then I sure as heck can't credit the Saints for demolishing a statistically great Redskins defense in week 4 - who up to that point had only played a terrible Cardinals offense, a terrible Colts offense, and a limping Packers offense.

I'm not really sure how you can so entirely dismiss week 7 team records, and then qualitatively claim the Chargers aren't beating top teams. Top teams based on what exactly, records? I'm skeptical that you have watched every Chargers game and every game of their opponents'. Instead I suspect that's exactly what you're doing, judging the quality of their wins based on the opponents' records. As for your point that the Chargers nearly lost to a terrible Titans team, yes, that happened. They played a poor game. They also played the Titans in London, which is a long way to travel for a West Coast team, so struggling there is pretty understandable. They did pull out the win though, so I feel that I have to give them credit - after all, we nearly lost to a Tyrod Taylor led Browns team. The Chargers destroyed a Baker Mayfield led Browns team, the very same one that beat the Ravens btw, if we are going to use single game performances to discredit teams.

The Rams dominated the Chargers, Cardinals, Raiders, and had a other performances that felt impressively dominant even though the margin of victory was small (Gurley's game against the Broncos and their passing game against the Vikings). Comparatively, the Saints have had dominant performances against the Giants and Redskins, but I felt we had other performances that felt impressively dominant (our methodical offense against a tough Ravens D on a per drive basis).

I'm not discounting the Saints, and I don't think many people here are. I'm simply giving credit where credit is due. The Rams are 7-0 with no home field advantage, and the Saints are 5-1 with a good home field advantage. Both teams have nearly unstoppable offenses and have poor defenses. Their defense has performed well against poor offenses. Our defense has performed well against poor offenses. I think both teams are pretty evenly matched right now.

Look, I only brought up the greatness of the Rams because it was pretty obvious you were going out of your way to dismiss them as a current favorite because of a Saints/NFC bias. It is apparent because the same dismissive things you've said about them can be said for each other contender you gave props to (Chiefs, Patriots, Saints).
I wanted to skip over this post because it was too wordy, but I couldn’t. This post expresses the truth of the situation I am asking about. The Rams are good, and they have been playing very well the entire season. We can’t gloss over their record because it’s “only 7 games”, that is the reality of who we are (we have played 6 games), and people want to say we have enough to determine how good we are.

In short, great read. I don’t think many people will read it because it’s quite the thesis, but everyone should read it.

I like the probabilistic answer

If we were playing at Rams, I'd give us a 40% chance of coming out on a win
Given we are playing at home, I'd say we have a 55% chance of winning

Peters has been playing. They've played nobody. If u wanna crown them, crown them, but we're not going to let'em off the hook!

I'm not fearing that "vaunted" D u wanna make them out to be.
Please don’t put words in my mouth. I never said they were vaunted and I never said I am crowning them. But every point I made was valid. Gurley is on fire, goff is playing well and if he has all day to sit back and throw it will be an even longer day for us. Okay, my mistake on peters. But Talib is a solid corner also and he hasn’t been playing. They’re only going to get better when he comes back. I’m not saying we have 0 chance to win, but if I had to pick a game where we would lose then this is the one I’d choose. People are saying there Defense has struggled but they have Donald who just had 4 sacks in one game. That’s more than our d line hasn’t managed in a game combined this season lol. Okay they were playing San Fran but it’s impressive none the less. We can’t judge their true defensive power when one of their top CBS has been out. They have the players to be vaunted, and they very well could be when he does start playing again. Donald and Suh on that D Line with Peters, Robey and Talib in the secondary. Mixed with an Offense that is very hard to stop right now.

Both our Offense and their Offense are pretty much unstoppable, so it might come down to who’s Defense makes more plays on the day.

Would you honestly put your money on ours when they have many more playmakers than us and when we have struggled creating turnovers/getting pressure? I wouldn’t.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom