Can we finally dispense with the myth that we have a bad Oline? (1 Viewer)

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Only seven teams have given up fewer sacks than the saints. Three of which haven't played a fourth game yet. I have been saying since the preseason that we would have a top 10 OLine but all I ever see is shock when they play well, AGAIN. All this despite being second in the league in pass attempts per game.

On a side note I sincerely hope Drew isn't hurt. Either he was hurt today or too hyped but he was OFF to say the least. I see a thread bagging on Cooks but did Drew make any throws over 15 yards today outside of the one interception? He just never seemed to get comfortable.

The bye couldn't of come at a better time.

WHO DAT!!!!!

LUX

Ride til I die!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
At times, our line held up pretty good. I'm hoping it continues, but it's still early in the season. Brees had to throw the ball out pretty quick at times because defenders just blew past our line. Overall, it was still ok, but still needs improvements.

LombardiGras

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Only seven teams have given up fewer sacks than the saints. Three of which haven't played a fourth game yet. I have been saying since the preseason that we would have a top 10 OLine but all I ever see is shock when they play well, AGAIN. All this despite being second in the league in pass attempts per game.

On a side note I sincerely hope Drew isn't hurt. Either he was hurt today or too hyped but he was OFF to say the least. I see a thread bagging on Cooks but did Drew make any throws over 15 yards today outside of the one interception? He just never seemed to get comfortable.

WHO DAT!!!!!
Brees is very difficult to sack, and that makes the O line look good. They've done a decent job but still gave up more than a couple pressures in the middle and on the right side.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Agree with Lux. Brees has the "escapability" factor to help out the O line at times. But after hearing about what a problem the O line would be this year, I've been pleasantly surprised at their play.

tthier2

O.G. Bobby Johnson
Reaction score
Brees definitely makes the line look much better than it actually is. Truth be told it still has major deficiencies in the run department.

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Run blocking leaves a lot to be desired, but Payton knows how to put in protections. Given the injuries, the O line is playing well. Too bad our bad defense is not a myth.

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well to be fair, our OLine looked like a liability in the preseason, but they are holding their own so far.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Keeping Brees from getting killed is not enough. Our O-line needs to give our WR's time for their routes to develop. A few more holes for the RB's would be nice too.

Good news is, it looks like they're slowly getting better.

SaintsJunkie

BREES HOF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's really more about the things Sean is doing to help the bad OL, the OL didn't get better

WilliamBrees

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

WHO DAT!!!!!
We didn't just used to be a top ten oline. We weren't just a top five either.

OP

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The posts in this thread smack of ignorance. You guys do realize it's football and that other teams pick up a paycheck also? This is the NFL you won't win every battle. Brees does have an amazingly quick release but his lack of height presents problems also.

Why can't you just realize that the OLine has been very good? Brady would give his left @@@ for this line.

JvilleJoe

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'll just be happy if we can get all the regular starters (i.e. Armstead) back and everyone back to their natural position. I must say though that this patchwork line has performed better than I ever thought they would and that is a good thing. Jahri has been a very pleasant surprise, but next year we have to invest in another early round OG and OT, noting Strief is getting up their in years.

Hotdog_Skin

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
One of the things that's exciting is that typically, o-lines get better as the season progresses.

robsmith32

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
It's really more about the things Sean is doing to help the bad OL, the OL didn't get better
this, having all the chips thrown by players starting routes.
we normally don't do that.

also, i'm worried brees injured or something that was a weak throw to coleman, and noticed right there at the end, payton took the play calls and started running the ball, when was short on time. Right after the last interception. He was seeing that Brees was having trouble, and helped him out by back to back runs.:scratch::idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)