Can we forfeit a game? (1 Viewer)

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Before you crucify me realize this is just a curiosity and I'm a bunch of fantastic Miller lites into my Friday. I'm just wondering if our end game is a superbowl win and we're getting ready to play a team cancelling practice due to covid cases. If we wanted too could we forfeit this game and move onto the next one?

Uh, what? I'm not really gonna think about this too much except to say that the Ravens probably should because they're not really going anywhere this year and they're gonna end up upsetting the whole playoff apple cart.

I don't think there's such a thing as a team's discretionary right to forfeit.

Before you crucify me realize this is just a curiosity and I'm a bunch of fantastic Miller lites into my Friday. I'm just wondering if our end game is a superbowl win and we're getting ready to play a team cancelling practice due to covid cases. If we wanted too could we forfeit this game and move onto the next one?
I have never seen the Saints beat the Broncos in my lifetime. We gotta play. We gotta win.

I was curious about this. Not for us but a bottom dweller fighting covid. I could see a team saying its not worth it.

That said with the way parity works with the draft in the NFL, TV deals, etc. I wonder it's even within the rules?

I was curious about this. Not for us but a bottom dweller fighting covid. I could see a team saying its not worth it.

That said with the way parity works with the draft in the NFL, TV deals, etc. I wonder it's even within the rules?
I think that’s partly about why they shutting down Monday and Tuesday.
You’re gonna get a lot of meaningless games.

Kinda my train of thought too....could a team say the juice isn't worth the squeeze and pass on a game? Haven't heard it discussed so not sure.

I think the league franchise agreement requires the teams to play their schedule and with good faith performance of that agreement, plus the rules for players and coaches about detrimental conduct, teams don't have the right to just forfeit games. Plus the players' salaries are based on games ("game checks", which is how suspended players don't get paid) - so a team trying to forfeit a game faces a range of pay issues.

I suppose a team could potentially refuse to play a game for public health (or some other kind of safety reason) that could be valid - but I think the league would work its arse off to try to avoid that scenario. But beyond some compelling circumstance, a team simply wanting to forfeit isn't going to fly.

Last edited:
I don’t see anyway the league would let you forfeit with Covid reasons. They aren’t going to say it’s safe to play and have a team say it’s not. They would have to argue the safety behind closed doors and let it be a league decision.

Here is an article on COVID-19 and the NFL forfeit rule:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom