Saints Can we please stop all the get rid of Brees talk? (1 Viewer)

I didn't say don't resign Brees. I said resign him at a team friendly deal and resign Taysom and Teddy and let them compete for the starting job. If Drew is still the best, he will win the competition. Why are so many posters averse to the notion that Brees should have to compete for his job just like all the other players on the team?

I believe signing all 3 of those guys is not going to happen. The one who would have to sign a very team friendly deal would be Bridgewater, and I really think he will get some good offers elsewhere....

Do you really think there would be a competition? Brees would beat both of them out in his sleep....

I don’t think you’re seeing the big picture. It’s about winning another Super Bowl. Did you see Mahomes today? We will never be truly competitIve again until we get a dynamic QB. Drew at 41 is not that guy.

Right and I don't think you understand the reason(s) we lost against Minnesota.....

I believe signing all 3 of those guys is not going to happen. The one who would have to sign a very team friendly deal would be Bridgewater, and I really think he will get some good offers elsewhere....

Do you really think there would be a competition? Brees would beat both of them out in his sleep....

I’m not so sure drew would beat them out this upcoming season. Think it would be a toss up as the 3 offer different styles of play. CSP could make a successful game plan for each QB. Drew would have the hardest time with a run more offense that he would need unless CSP stopped him from the audible.

I think we are a super bowl team next season IF IF IF we add a STUD slot receiver. This is our biggest need , if we get it done we will be fine. Brees will be fine. Every other team I watch seems to have far superior WR than we do. I kind of shunned that notion aside the last two years but its glaring now.

I think Brees still gives us the best shot at a SB, but it will take a total team effort to do it. Brady won when he was 41, and Manning won when he could barely hold his head upright because they had good teams behind them. We need the same.

Why did the Pats lose this year? Everyone's running around saying Brady is washed up (and they're right). And Yet Brady is sitting at home for the exact same reason that Drew is. They lost games where their defense held the other team to 20, and the offense couldn't get it done.

And Brees has better weapons by a huge, huge margin.

FYI I'm not a "get rid of Drew" guy. I think he gets one more year and one more year of Drew is still better than what Teddy gives us. But I do think his time is coming and I don't think it's reasonable to absolve him of blame for the playoff exit. He did not play well. Period. Average QB play probably wins that game. He didn't play average - he was worse than that.

I don't think he was the #1 reason we lost. I think that was probably the Davenport, Rankins, and Kamara injuries. But he certainly has some blame. A good bit of it.

Last edited:
What does Brees do to make our offense exciting and explosive? I find our offense to be very predictable and boring. Yes, Brees is excellent at nickle and dimeing defenses to death, but what can he do when defenses are committed to taking away his nickles and dimes?

Oh, that's right, we already know.

Anybody thinking we should move on from Brees, Jimmy Garoppolo is the starting QB for the odds-on favorite in the Superbowl. How many of you would trade Brees for Garoppolo? We're missing a couple of key pieces (and maybe a call or a few) to get us 1-2 more wins & quarterback isn't one of them.

As I've said elsewhere when somone mentions Brady, he won rings after Drew but Drew has not got us to the promise land since 09. Yes, this is a team game but it's hard for me to believe that Drew gives us the best chance to win at 41 when he is no longer a top 5 QB. I'm not saying that I think TB is a top 5 QB or that he will get us to the bowl next year but I think he's shown enough to deserve, at least, a chance to be that guy.
Drew has done enough to get us to the SB since 2009. It has been the defense and, at least once, the refs that kept us from going back. I agree that he can't carry us to the SB by himself, but he's capable of SB winner again if the rest of the team shows up and plays like a SB winning team.

As far as Drew not being a top 5 QB, that's your opinion, but his performance this season says otherwise.

Why did the Pats lose this year? Everyone's running around saying Brady is washed up (and they're right). And Yet Brady is sitting at home for the exact same reason that Drew is. They lost games where their defense held the other team to 20, and the offense couldn't get it done.

And Brees has better weapons by a huge, huge margin.

FYI I'm not a "get rid of Drew" guy. I think he gets one more year and one more year of Drew is still better than what Teddy gives us. But I do think his time is coming and I don't think it's reasonable to absolve him of blame for the playoff exit. He did not play well. Period. Average QB play probably wins that game. He didn't play average - he was worse than that.

I don't think he was the #1 reason we lost. I think that was probably the Davenport, Rankins, and Kamara injuries. But he certainly has some blame. A good bit of it.
Have you asked why the Pats won last year despite having a 41 year old QB? The answer is because it's a team game, and the rest of the team and the coaching staff stepped up to the plate. I think Drew is good enough to do the same.

Really no difference from 13-3 and 8-8 when they can’t win in the playoffs. Just worse draft pick. We’re still saints fans, gonna route for the team anyway. I say just use this next season as teddy or taysom show, either playoffs or good draft pick.

Y’all sit up here and type responses like “there’s no difference between 13-3 and 8-8 when you lose in the playoffs” knowing full well how dreadful that 8-8 season was to watch unfold. Not to mention those 7-9’s. Most of the board during that time was crying for a Wild Card opportunity.

I’m not saying that we shouldn’t expect more, but this idea that the regular season was trash if we don’t win it all every season is outlandish to me. The Pats have six rings in nine appearances. They’ve been a franchise since 1959. That’s 60 years as a franchise and they have 6 in 60 seasons, which makes them one of the most decorated franchises in league history...6. That’s how hard it is to win championships in this league. Just some perspective would do this board good.

They still think he can play at an elite level for 21 straight games. It's not happening. The last 2 years proved that. He can still be elite at times but defenses are well aware of his deficiencies now and will take advantage of it.

It doesn't matter though. If the team wasn't ready for its first playoff game, they aren't ready to contend for a SB.

Who exactly is this imaginary contingent of "they", claiming Brees can play every single possible game in a season at an elite level?

Even in his greatest of seasons, he has always produced a couple of clunkers.

This simply wasn't our season. Maybe things are finally lining up just right for Andy Reid to get a championship.

Y’all sit up here and type responses like “there’s no difference between 13-3 and 8-8 when you lose in the playoffs” knowing full well how dreadful that 8-8 season was to watch unfold. Not to mention those 7-9’s. Most of the board during that time was crying for a Wild Card opportunity.

I’m not saying that we shouldn’t expect more, but this idea that the regular season was trash if we don’t win it all every season is outlandish to me. The Pats have six rings in nine appearances. They’ve been a franchise since 1959. That’s 60 years as a franchise and they have 6 in 60 seasons, which makes them one of the most decorated franchises in league history...6. That’s how hard it is to win championships in this league. Just some perspective would do this board good.
My perspective is, yes it is very hard to remain competitive to win a super bowl. So, why handicap your team by keeping a QB that is a statue in the backfield, can’t make the deep throw, and is really showing his age. I’d rather be 7-9 or 8-8 with another QB even in rebuild mode. At least with another QB your moving the team toward the future instead of grasping at past performance to say well Brees gives us the best chance. Interior pass rush is his kryptonite, so why would you invest in the type of players needed for that scheme for one year when the next franchise QB will need a different type of oline. A taller, more mobile QB isn’t concerned about the interior push as much as Brees is.

when you look at when teddy came in and played those 5 games. It looked like the team as a whole played much more like a complete team than when Brees was in. It seemed like the defense and special teams stepped up their game. Whatever the reason, they did it.

I’m not discounting all the great things that drew has done for the team, city and fans. I just feel that him leaving a year early is better than a year too late and his year early is now now.

My perspective is, yes it is very hard to remain competitive to win a super bowl. So, why handicap your team by keeping a QB that is a statue in the backfield, can’t make the deep throw, and is really showing his age. I’d rather be 7-9 or 8-8 with another QB even in rebuild mode. At least with another QB your moving the team toward the future instead of grasping at past performance to say well Brees gives us the best chance. Interior pass rush is his kryptonite, so why would you invest in the type of players needed for that scheme for one year when the next franchise QB will need a different type of oline. A taller, more mobile QB isn’t concerned about the interior push as much as Brees is.

when you look at when teddy came in and played those 5 games. It looked like the team as a whole played much more like a complete team than when Brees was in. It seemed like the defense and special teams stepped up their game. Whatever the reason, they did it.

I’m not discounting all the great things that drew has done for the team, city and fans. I just feel that him leaving a year early is better than a year too late and his year early is now now.
What is it about his performance last year that convinces you that it's time to move on from Drew? And if it's possible, don't mention the Vikings game in your answer. Because if one bad playoff loss, in which the entire team pretty much played like crap, is enough to get rid of the QB, then the Colts would have cut Peyton Manning early in his career after several dreadful performances in the playoffs. I'm sure if I went back and looked, I could also find dozens of examples of good QB's having bad games in the playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom