Saints Can we please stop all the get rid of Brees talk? (1 Viewer)

Even if the Saints are somehow able to snag a top QB in the draft . Drew will be the starter next year. End of discussion.

That's gonna win us a Super Bowl as a wild card?

That's bloody genius. Let's take the most difficult route possible.
It's better than keeping an aging QB a year to long. No one is claiming that TB or TH is going to win the SB in one year. This is about the big picture not 1 year.

You’ve lost YO mind if u think we’re gonna get anything better from Drew than what we’ve already seen
Well let’s see if the stats add up. We played the niners this year. They had the number 1 passing defense in the nfl this year. So our washed up QB threw for 349 yards and 5 touchdowns. That wasn’t really that long ago.

I would rather be 13-3 and a contender than the 8-8 we would be lucky to be with either of the other 2 guys on the roster.
Really no difference from 13-3 and 8-8 when they can’t win in the playoffs. Just worse draft pick. We’re still saints fans, gonna route for the team anyway. I say just use this next season as teddy or taysom show, either playoffs or good draft pick.

Yeah be the first QB to end back to back seasons with a QB rating above 115 and let's shove him out the door.

He's not playing good football. He's not even playing great football. He's playing elite football. The very best of his career and there's really no argument.

His career is arcing upwards right now, ever since 2016.
Individual stats don’t win playoffs or super bowls, but they sure do look good.

Fark anyone who wants to get rid of brees.

Teddy was good but our defense played out of thier minds to help him

7 is good in the role hes in now. Hes not a starting qb. Everyone all over 7 for the one deep throw against the vikings. Everyone says 9 needs to go bc he cant throw deep. Well, harris had to stop and almost come back for that pass

We riding with 9 next year like it or not. I love it.

Right, because the sample size is now big enough to say that....NOT.....if the Saints have an opportunity to resign Brees on a contract similar to the last one it would be insane not to....
I didn't say don't resign Brees. I said resign him at a team friendly deal and resign Taysom and Teddy and let them compete for the starting job. If Drew is still the best, he will win the competition. Why are so many posters averse to the notion that Brees should have to compete for his job just like all the other players on the team?

I didn't say don't resign Brees. I said resign him at a team friendly deal and resign Taysom and Teddy and let them compete for the starting job. If Drew is still the best, he will win the competition. Why are so many posters averse to the notion that Brees should have to compete for his job just like all the other players on the team?
At this stage in their careers, you really think we can sign all three (now free agents) again? How much do you kick up Taysom and Bridgewater to make them happy and how "friendly" of a deal does Brees have to take to make this scenario happen? I don't think anyone is averse to a competition to win the job. Brees is still the best QB on the team even at his age. He's still one of the best in the league, still.

Brees also struggled in the NFCCG against the Vikings ten years ago. And then lit up the Colts in the Super Bowl. He made two bad, very costly mistakes in the playoff game this year. He doesn't get a free pass (but some will still reply that I'm saying Brees can do no wrong). Against the Vikings, we got beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Out coached and outplayed in supposedly two areas that we are strong at. That is inexcusable.

And Bridgewater went 5-0 as a backup. I love the guy and appreciate him for it. But his play was comparable to a Tannehill. Not stellar, but solid and mistake-free. But he can not take us as far as Brees can. And because Taysom make some wonderful splash gimick plays, some are saying we'd have won the Vikings game if he'd played QB all game.

I had my doubts about Brees coming off the thumb surgery this year, but he looked really good. He still has it. It's not from blind loyalty that I want him back. I want him back because he's still our best shot at going to another Super Bowl.

And, IMO, now is the first time to try to draft our future QB. Hopefully it won't involve some of the crazy trade scenarios floating about, but we may need to try one of the second-tier guys (after Burrow and Tua) and sit them behind Brees for their rookie year.

At this stage in their careers, you really think we can sign all three (now free agents) again? How much do you kick up Taysom and Bridgewater to make them happy and how "friendly" of a deal does Brees have to take to make this scenario happen? I don't think anyone is averse to a competition to win the job. Brees is still the best QB on the team even at his age. He's still one of the best in the league, still.

Brees also struggled in the NFCCG against the Vikings ten years ago. And then lit up the Colts in the Super Bowl. He made two bad, very costly mistakes in the playoff game this year. He doesn't get a free pass (but some will still reply that I'm saying Brees can do no wrong). Against the Vikings, we got beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Out coached and outplayed in supposedly two areas that we are strong at. That is inexcusable.

And Bridgewater went 5-0 as a backup. I love the guy and appreciate him for it. But his play was comparable to a Tannehill. Not stellar, but solid and mistake-free. But he can not take us as far as Brees can. And because Taysom make some wonderful splash gimick plays, some are saying we'd have won the Vikings game if he'd played QB all game.

I had my doubts about Brees coming off the thumb surgery this year, but he looked really good. He still has it. It's not from blind loyalty that I want him back. I want him back because he's still our best shot at going to another Super Bowl.

And, IMO, now is the first time to try to draft our future QB. Hopefully it won't involve some of the crazy trade scenarios floating about, but we may need to try one of the second-tier guys (after Burrow and Tua) and sit them behind Brees for their rookie year.
Why are you so confident that Teddy can't get us to the playoffs when he won 5 tough games? It's clear that his teammates and coach believe in him. Drew also had the benefit of not having the where on his body, and I do think that fumble was a byproduct of a lack of strength the hand post injury. If we get to the SB it will because of our overall team and we avoid critical injuries not because of Drew's greatness. Why let a guy who has proven he can lead the team leave out the door instead hoping you hit the new qb lottery in the draft. There is no gamble with TB, it's a much more pragmatic option. If he doesn't show the capability to lead the team, then we search for a young guy. It just seems a lot of posters want to delay the inevitable.: we're probably not going to win the Bowl next year and we need to find another franchise QB.

Why are you so confident that Teddy can't get us to the playoffs when he won 5 tough games? It's clear that his teammates and coach believe in him. Drew also had the benefit of not having the where on his body, and I do think that fumble was a byproduct of a lack of strength the hand post injury. If we get to the SB it will because of our overall team and we avoid critical injuries not because of Drew's greatness. Why let a guy who has proven he can lead the team leave out the door instead hoping you hit the new qb lottery in the draft. There is no gamble with TB, it's a much more pragmatic option. If he doesn't show the capability to lead the team, then we search for a young guy. It just seems a lot of posters want to delay the inevitable.: we're probably not going to win the Bowl next year and we need to find another franchise QB.
I agree that we need to find another franchise quarterback. I disagree that we aren't capable of going to and winning the Super Bowl next year. And despite the horrible team effort, or lack thereof, against the Vikings, I saw enough team talent and enough good play from Brees after the surgery to think that we ride with him again.

I love Teddy, and there was a time that I thought he could be our future franchise quarterback. I didn't see that in his play. It was solid, but not much more than that. I think too much emphasis was put on the 5-0 stint and I'm certainly not disregarding that point. He did light up the Bucs, but he looked just okay in the other games. I'm just trusting my eyes and my gut.

I agree that we need to find another franchise quarterback. I disagree that we aren't capable of going to and winning the Super Bowl next year. And despite the horrible team effort, or lack thereof, against the Vikings, I saw enough team talent and enough good play from Brees after the surgery to think that we ride with him again.

I love Teddy, and there was a time that I thought he could be our future franchise quarterback. I didn't see that in his play. It was solid, but not much more than that. I think too much emphasis was put on the 5-0 stint and I'm certainly not disregarding that point. He did light up the Bucs, but he looked just okay in the other games. I'm just trusting my eyes and my gut.
Fair enough, we agree to disagree. I'm trusting the results and his his experience as a starting qb. The just give Brees one more chance after coming up short for the past three years seems like a big gamble.

It's better than keeping an aging QB a year to long. No one is claiming that TB or TH is going to win the SB in one year. This is about the big picture not 1 year.

I think for the people who are not beholden to Brees (and truly wants whats best for the team for he next 20 years) have to understand that some folks are just incapable of letting a good thing go while its still good. They want to go down with the Breestanic and THEN make thread the next half decade as to why we dont have money for the shiny FA's and retain our shiny FA's.

I challenge these people to read the definition of insanity and apply it to their thought process.

Fair enough, we agree to disagree. I'm trusting the results and his his experience as a starting qb. The just give Brees one more chance after coming up short for the past three years seems like a big gamble.
The problem I see with your argument is that you seem to put all or most of the blame for "coming up short" on Brees, when the truth is that we were in position to win those three games before the defense let us down. Yeah, he struggled against the Vikings, but he got us to OT, and maybe, just maybe, if Kamara doesn't go brain dead in the last drive in regulation, we score a TD and avoid OT.

I think Brees still gives us the best shot at a SB, but it will take a total team effort to do it. Brady won when he was 41, and Manning won when he could barely hold his head upright because they had good teams behind them. We need the same.

The problem I see with your argument is that you seem to put all or most of the blame for "coming up short" on Brees, when the truth is that we were in position to win those three games before the defense let us down. Yeah, he struggled against the Vikings, but he got us to OT, and maybe, just maybe, if Kamara doesn't go brain dead in the last drive in regulation, we score a TD and avoid OT.

I think Brees still gives us the best shot at a SB, but it will take a total team effort to do it. Brady won when he was 41, and Manning won when he could barely hold his head upright because they had good teams behind them. We need the same.
As I've said elsewhere when somone mentions Brady, he won rings after Drew but Drew has not got us to the promise land since 09. Yes, this is a team game but it's hard for me to believe that Drew gives us the best chance to win at 41 when he is no longer a top 5 QB. I'm not saying that I think TB is a top 5 QB or that he will get us to the bowl next year but I think he's shown enough to deserve, at least, a chance to be that guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom