Can we please stop quoting PFF? (2 Viewers)

It's just a piece to help you solve the puzzle. Along with your personal observations, coaches analysis, talking head babble etc. It's not the end all be all ... but it helps to put together the pieces.

How do you think teams grade out other teams? it's imperfect, but it's better than nothing. I wouldn't use it to over ride what coach is saying though for the reasons you stated.

It's not better than nothing

Pff has a tendency to completely make things up and base entire formulas on a judgement call that is made by an analyst on the site.

It's interesting, but saying it's better than nothing ignores the fact that it's very misleading data. Misleading data is actually worse than nothing because it gives people a false sense of knowledge

The analysts are no different than the posters on this site with a little bit of free time. They aren't certified statisticians or experts in the field. They are guys hired to watch games and try and figure out what happened.

I wouldn't tell people not to view the site because it is interesting how they manage to find some of these stats...but it is very inexact and can trick people into thinking its actual fact

It's not better than nothing

Pff has a tendency to completely make things up and base entire formulas on a judgement call that is made by an analyst on the site.

It's interesting, but saying it's better than nothing ignores the fact that it's very misleading data. Misleading data is actually worse than nothing because it gives people a false sense of knowledge

The analysts are no different than the posters on this site with a little bit of free time. They aren't certified statisticians or experts in the field. They are guys hired to watch games and try and figure out what happened.

I wouldn't tell people not to view the site because it is interesting how they manage to find some of these stats...but it is very inexact and can trick people into thinking its actual fact

Thank you.

They have no idea as to what the scheme was on a certain play or for that matter the play call.

Another thing is people on here love to quote pff when it comes to other teams players but when pff has us with a top 10 line it's a mistake.

I'll take Payton's assessment over theirs a yeah of the week.

I have an account. I post their grades. On a lot of those occasions I gave a long rambling prologue about how I don't think these grades are gospel but I decided most people on here can think for themselves when it comes to that.

It's like looking up stats, highlights, contract info, etc. It's a piece of the puzzle that I think a lot of people here appreciate seeing, so I'm going to continue to post them regarding our players or players on our radar unless the SR mods don't want me to.

I have an account. I post their grades. On a lot of those occasions I gave a long rambling prologue about how I don't think these grades are gospel but I decided most people on here can think for themselves when it comes to that.

It's like looking up stats, highlights, contract info, etc. It's a piece of the puzzle that I think a lot of people here appreciate seeing, so I'm going to continue to post them regarding our players or players on our radar unless the SR mods don't want me to.

I actually like reading their stuff. That's not the problem.

Once again no one has answered the question. How come most of this board listens to them about other teams players but people on here call it a mistake when PFF ranks our Oline in the top 10?

PFF is like the TED talks of football stats.

My biggest problem with PFF is that a CB can give up 5 1 yard slants and then have a safety blow a coverage over the top of him for a long TD and PFF will say default CB struggled mightly today. He gave up 6 catches for over 80 yards and graded out at -600. When in reality, he played really well except for 1 play that wasn't even his fault.

But they do get things right a lot, too. Have to give them credit. It's just they are far too ridgid with the numbers at times to be reliable in my eyes.

Like any metric, it provides a good grounded starting point for discussion. I can say I believe player A is better than player B, but that doesn't really foster good discussion because it's going off of my opinion. If I can say player A is better than player B because X Y Z stats and PFF, at least my argument is based on something concrete that can be debated. You really cannot debate someone's opinion effectively (well, you could, but those discussions usually don't go anywhere, we might as well yell "less filling. tastes great" at one another).

It's just like talking about a player's stats. In any one week, a player will have better stats than another, but it doesn't tell the whole story from who was more critical to the team's success. What the stats do provide is a useful jumping-off point for why a player could be better than another.

Once again no one has answered the question. How come most of this board listens to them about other teams players but people on here call it a mistake when PFF ranks our Oline in the top 10?

The answer is your selective bias.

There are plenty of discussions where we side on one side or another on a PFF grade. Because we are Saints fans in a Saints forum, our discussions will be more numerous and varied on Saints players.

Most of us don't follow other teams as closely, so their grades and stats are a bit harder to swim against unless we have a particular interest in that team or player. We do vary on other team's players, just not as vocally or vigorously as with our own.

PFF said that fans that read PFF stats have a knowledge rate of 13.9. Don't know what that means but seems to be decent.

Krodwhodat says that fans that read krodwhodat have a knowledge rate of 14.9 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most people quote the grades that confirm their opinions and ignore or discount the grades that go against their opinions. That's what keeps PFF going.

Someone once argued that the Saints used PFF for their evaluations, then Payton later said that they had no use for PFF's evaluations. It's an offshoot of the "I'm great at Madden and fantasy football, so I know as much as any NFL GM or Coach" phenomenon.

Most people quote the grades that confirm their opinions and ignore or discount the grades that go against their opinions.
I mean, that goes for any argument. I mean, why would anyone use the facts that don't support their opinions if they want to make a point? Unless they're fair and balanced and have no dog in teh fight...

:scratch:

Our line has been top 10 for years...

It stinks now, and PFF says it stinks now too.

Obviously PFF isn't perfect, but at least it's a standard baseline measurement for people to follow. Whether their formulas are completely accurate or not, it's standardized for every player. With all things being equal (even if not theorized correctly, the grading is done "equally imperfect" across the board) which allows for armchair quarterbacks to evaluate players on a consistently level playing field.

It's a useful tool to compare players and assess values. Obviously there are variables that PFF can't always quantify, but at least for consumers it creates a static environment to begin understanding value for players and brings some stability to a complex multi-variable sport

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom