Can we talk guitar pedals and/ or effects? (1 Viewer)

saintpack

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Ratt Warren Demartini sound. Anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited:
I would try something like a freidman HBE pedal, or the suhr riot or maybe the bogner ecstacy red channel.

There are a lot of marshall in a box type pedals that could get you there.

I would try something like a freidman HBE pedal, or the suhr riot or maybe the bogner ecstacy red channel.

There are a lot of marshall in a box type pedals that could get you there.
Thx for the suggestions

I'm looking for a Ratt Warren Demartini sound. Anyone got any suggestions?
I'm a huge fan of Warren DeMartini....very under-rated player, IMO. I also believe that a LOT of a guitar player's "sound" is in his fingers, and goes beyond his tone. But if you've got his long fingers, wide span, and legato technique, the tone is a little easier to achieve, IMO.

I chased his tone from Out of The Cellar and Invasion of Your Privacy; starting with Dancing Undercover his tone started to morph a little. I was a full blooded Ratt junkie in the early 80s and think Invasion was one of the best albums ever. THAT is the tone I wanted.

Starting with gear, Warren has always played solid body stratocasters with humbuckers. Specifically, Charvels, but I think a solid body guitar with trebly humbuckers will suffice. In his earlier days, he played Laney Amps through Marshall cabs (both British companies). I know this because when I found out, I wanted what he played but couldn't find Laney equipment where I lived (pre-internet days). Not sure what he plays now, but his tone has changed over the years also, but seems to have come back around to his earlier tone with the Infestation album. I remember reading an interview with Warren & Robbin (circa Invasion era) where they shared that they ocassionally "swapped rigs" in practice just to see how the other approached guitar; Robbin admitted that Warren's rig "got away" from him....a lot of gain & treble resulted in feedback that Robbin couldn't control, but Warren had mastered and tamed. What I took from that interview was bulletpoints of a "hot signal" which included solid body guitar, Seymour Duncan humbuckers (JB or Distortion....can't remember), and Laney amps with high gain and treble. Today, I THINK I read he's using Soldano and Diezel heads, and still prefers Marshall cabs.

EDIT: found this, circa 2010, so probably Infestation tone:

In today's world, rather than try & buy tons of gear, I might suggest a digital stomp box, like a Line 6, Boss, or Digitech, and find one of the many patches available for Ratt tones. I have a Line 6 POD HD 500, Boss ME-100, and a Digitech RP500 for quick switching and trying different things, but I always migrate back to my Mesa Boogie, mostly with a "naked signal" (no stomps whatsoever), but occassionally with an MXR 10-band EQ.

This guys seems to have his 1985 (Invasion) tone dialed in real good:

Enjoy!

My favorite sound from Ratt and song was “Way Cool Jr” love that sound…hard as nails blues. You have a pounding bass, drums are smashing, guitars ripping and sax’s jamming..love the rhythm throughout the whole song. This song is a literal instrumental jam session. Robbin Crosby was the heart and soul of Ratt though, IMHO.

Love Ratt..

Last edited:
I remember saving up $50 for a Boss digital delay or a flanger back in the mid-80s.

Recently took my daughter to a guitar store and they had the same pedals. Same technology! But higher prices.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom