Can we track this? (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Steve Spagnuolo Rob Ryan, Greg Williams. All are defensive coordinators, and all coached some of the worst defenses in NFL history, which also happened to be Saints defenses. Now we have Dennis Allen coaching the defense, and things have started bumpy.

Would it be fair to compare these four guys during the season, and see if it's coaching or if it's something more?

What parameters would you use in comparing the 4?

I can give you some generic factors to go off of

2009: YES
2010: Marshawn Lynch run
2011: Freakin' Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins
2012: That never happened
2013: ROB RYAN IS THE SAVIOR
2014: Just kidding, Rob isn't that good
2015: That never happened, again

Quite honestly I am surprised 3 guys could do such a poor job as defensive coordinators for this team and still get positions as DCs for other teams.

Technically Rob isn't a DC, he's an Assistant Head Coach/Defense.

Spags is unconscionable to me, seems like a case of Tom Coughlin doing what Payton is always accused of doing with coaches here.

You can already compare. Spags had the only defense in the league worse then ours last year. He had the 29th defense in 2014 as well.

You can already compare. Spags had the only defense in the league worse then ours last year. He had the 29th defense in 2014 as well.

Yeah looks like he was just in the right place at the right time with Strahan and company back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did Gregg Williams coach one of the worst defenses in the NFL?

His final year here (depending on what stats you are looking) we had a bottom tier defense at worst, mid tier at best.

Simply put, we weren't very good.

Bonchie, how would you work GW and Allen into the mix?

His final year here (depending on what stats you are looking) we had a bottom tier defense at worst, mid tier at best.

That's true, but it was very far from one of the worst in the history of the NFL, just in the name of fairness.

At some point you have to start looking at the culture of the defense itself. How can so many coordinators fail?

One way to compare is the talent level. Do we have comparable players to Buffalo and the Rams? We don't have any league-wide marquee players on our defense. I say the talent isn't there. Next is the defensive philosophy and coaching. When is the last time we had a bona fide, established defensive coordinator in charge? Gregg Williams? Then what? The 1980's?

We need players. We need a real coach and system. We don't have that.

The Bills have now given up 27 points and 367 yards...and it's not even the 4th quarter yet.

Cowboys-D-might-have-horses-for-Rob-Ryan-8127DC3M-x-large.jpg

GW was good here. He's decent with the Rams (although overrated, people perceive that defense as much better then it actually is, check the numbers).

That last year he was here, we were 13th in scoring defense. We gave up yards, but we were also beating teams by 20+ points every 4th quarter. Lots of garbage yards allowed.

Allen hasn't had a full year with us, so we'll see.

The Bills have now given up 27 points and 367 yards...and it's not even the 4th quarter yet.

Cowboys-D-might-have-horses-for-Rob-Ryan-8127DC3M-x-large.jpg
Just coming to post this...and that's with the top rated Secondary of 2015.

Getting roasted tonight to the tune of 20 of 29 for 282 yds thru 3 quarters by Fitzpatrick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom