can you break down our o-line (1 Viewer)

why cant you? its your thread?

because i didn't watch the o-linemen during the season. because i have no idea who played well and who did not on the o-line. because i have an idea who i would like to start next year on the team expect for the o-line. that is why i asked the question to other saints fans on a saints message board.

now meily, can you tell me why you said what you did?

Keep Brown and Evans for sure. If an upgrade for any of the other three comes along I wouldn't be opposed to it.

LT - J Brown

Still an effective pass blocker but due to his knee problems early in the season, he lost a lot of ability to drive off the ball.

LG - J Nesbit

Has problems with pass rushes, especially stunts. Average run blocker that doesn't get push when he needs to.

C - J Faine

Great technique but he can't handle the big boys up front. He consistently loses battles however is a very smart player.

RG - J Evans

The best lineman we have. He drives people off the line, but could do a little better in pass protection although he has done well in that regard too. With a better team record this season, he'd be in the pro bowl.

RT - J Stinchcomb

He's much like Faine except he has Jeckyl and Hyde moments. Sometimes he has great technique and can keep the ends out of the backfield. However, he gets beat too often off the edge and has little to no power in order to drive block. IMO, the weakest link on the line.

i would love to see duckworth win the left guard job. he has the size and power to handle the big boys.

Brown - LT
Good to Great blocker at both pass and running

Nesbit - LG
the weakest link in our line. Decent at pass protection and awful at run blocking

Faine - C
Good at directing the line and earned the second Captain spot on offense. Good at pass protection but not dominate enough in run blocking

Evans - LG
Great in both pass and run

Stinch - RT
Second weakest link in the line. Decent in pass protection against speed rushers but can't handle the strong bull rushers. Not very solid in run blocking

Backups
Strief - T
has filled in great for Brown and held his own. IMO should be our RT next year

Bushrod -T
didn't get to see him since he was never activated for a game this year. Should be up for competition at LG

Alleman -G
also didn't get to see him since he to was never activated for a game but also should be in running for LG

Goodwin - C
Did well in his few games filling in for an injured Faine. Should be retained for depth

Free Agents
Fanaca - LG
plays the position we need to solidify our O-line. Would be a great addition and still has many years left.

From NFLPA

<table class="tableDisplay" xmlns:rs="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset" xmlns:z="#RowsetSchema" width="80%"><tbody><tr><td>Player Name</td><td>Position</td><td>Team</td><td align="right">Compensation</td></tr><tr><td>Alleman, Andy</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">370000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Brown, Jammal</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">752500.00</td></tr><tr><td>Bushrod, Jermon</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">370000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Duckworth, Tim</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">295000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Evans, Jahri</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">445000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Faine, Jeff</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">863750.00</td></tr><tr><td>Stinchcomb, Jon</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">1650000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Strief, Zach</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">445000.00</td></tr></tbody></table>
Notice the highest paid lineman?

Also of note is that the often injured Jammal Brown's salary triples after 2008. I'm thinking that this fact was noted when Bushrod was drafted.

It's really difficult to determine which lineman were doing well or not when you don't know the blocking assignments for each snap. Many times a lineman looks like a chump when a guy gets by him but it is possible that the lineman's cardinal rule was to take care of the guy to the inside and let the back handle the guy to the outside. If the back misses the assignment the lineman looks stupid. Other times a lineman is expecting help or a back runs through the wrong hole. Things happen that we don't know about.

From NFLPA

<table class="tableDisplay" xmlns:rs="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset" xmlns:z="#RowsetSchema" width="80%"><tbody><tr><td>Player Name</td><td>Position</td><td>Team</td><td align="right">Compensation</td></tr><tr><td>Alleman, Andy</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">370000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Brown, Jammal</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">752500.00</td></tr><tr><td>Bushrod, Jermon</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">370000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Duckworth, Tim</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">295000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Evans, Jahri</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">445000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Faine, Jeff</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">863750.00</td></tr><tr><td>Stinchcomb, Jon</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">1650000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Strief, Zach</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">445000.00</td></tr></tbody></table>
Notice the highest paid lineman?

Also of note is that the often injured Jammal Brown's salary triples after 2008. I'm thinking that this fact was noted when Bushrod was drafted.

It's really difficult to determine which lineman were doing well or not when you don't know the blocking assignments for each snap. Many times a lineman looks like a chump when a guy gets by him but it is possible that the lineman's cardinal rule was to take care of the guy to the inside and let the back handle the guy to the outside. If the back misses the assignment the lineman looks stupid. Other times a lineman is expecting help or a back runs through the wrong hole. Things happen that we don't know about.

Brown's salary triples to what? $2.5M? thats it?!! even at that number he'll be underpaid. for the money we are definitely getting good value outta the line. brown may be up for a big extension in just a second!

what they need to do is plug evans on the left side with brown and create a STRONG SIDE, much like seattle did with hutch & jones. splitting ur best linemen makes you avg up front just as we are. i understand where the TE sets up will dictate "strong side" in a 1-TE set but if we match evans with brown we have the ability to have a 3-man edge on the left side(with a decent C) and get even stronger in the run game with a 2-TE set.

Current Starters -

LT Jammal Brown - started the year off rough. His training camp knee injury slowed him down a step off the snap. As his knee improved so did his play. He still has great footwork and strength. But he was a step slower this year and that caused him to struggle with smaller speed rushers off the edge.

LG - Jamar Nesbit - well.....he's a decent pass blocker. On running downs he tends to lose at the point of attack and either remains in the supposed hole or is shoved out of the way. Now I will say this Nesbit's running blocking looked much better when the larger J. Goodwin was subbing for Faine at Center.

C - Jeff Faine - the OL's signal caller. Technically Faine's very good. He's got good technique both footwork and with his hands. When was the last time Brees got a bad snap? His problem? Size or lack of, Faine's <300 lb. and tends to get manhandled by larger roadgrading NTs. I don't think it was a coincidence that the running game improved when Goodwin subbed for an injured Faine.

RG - Jahri Evans - quietly he's become the Saints best O lineman. He doesn't get alot of notice but I've watched him. He's the complete package. Prototypical Guard size, perfect hand and footwork, great strength as long as he stays low. He continues to improve by refining his technique.

RT - Jon Stinchcomb - he'll never be a overpowering mauler. He gets by on technique. He has great footwork which keeps him from getting beat by most DEs. He's very good at using the DE momentum to take them out of position. His problem? He isn't strong enough to lock up with a big bullrusher. He gets pushed into the backfield.

Current Backups -

Jonathan Goodwin - despite a mediocre preseason I thought he was a slight improvement over Faine when he subbed for him. Goodwin has good size and seemed to get superior run blocking push. The OL didn't miss a beat with Goodwin in the game. I believe he's scheduled to be UFA. I hope he's re signed and given a shot at starting Center.

Andy Alleman - here's what I saw last preseason.....Alleman was completely overmatched by even camp body DTs. He spent most his PT shooting backwards into the backfield. His 295 lb weight showed when he playing against 300+ lb DTs. He was converted from DT to Guard at Akron. I was hoping he'd be Jahri Evans part II instead he looks like a long term project that best shot in the NFL might be at Center.

Jermon Bushrod - I like this kid, He has the complete package of size, strength, speed, and natural athletic ability. But....his last preseason was almost as rough as Alleman's. He really got taken to the woodshed when he faced former starting DE, Anthony Hargrove, in the preseason. But after seeing both rookies, Alleman and Bushrod, I'd say Bushrod is much closer to seeing the field.

I hope Payton and Loomis make a strong push for Alan Faneca this offseason.........

One of our top offseason moves should be to pick up Faneca. He would give us that strong side on the left with Brown and he will sure up the middle on passing downs. Brees won't have to worry about the pocket collapsing in on him and he will have space to get the ball off which should result in less batted balls at the line.

I forgot (hardly on purpose) -

Zach Streif - He continues to impress me. At 6' 7" 349 lb he is a man mountain. Surprisingly he also has pretty decent and quick footwork. I look for Streif to make a strong challenge for either OT spot. With his tremendous size he has the advantage over Stinchcomb and due to Brown's knees he might have an advantage over him at LT. I hope the competition at both Tackle spots is completely open with no penciled in starters. If he wins the job I'd move Brown back to RT and Stinchcomb to backup.

aslong as i was rushing between Nesbit and Faine, then yes I could break down the saints Oline and sack Brees..

Faneca would be an excellent addition at LG! What do the Saints have under the cap, something like $30m??? I think Will Smith is up for a deal, Colston...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom