Can you tackle better than a 5th grader? (1 Viewer)

Saintuary

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Houston we got a tackling problem in the NFL and especially in New Orleans. "Roger that, sending Rob Ryan to fix the situation.

Saint fans have seen too many times their players missing tackles, being dragged trying to take somebody down.

Can RR fix poor tackling or is it too late?

My daughter is a 5th grader and she hits better than some pro players.

Fix it RR

Wait and see is the problem.

I'm going to wait and see if Jenkins tackles the back one on one.... Oh snap!!! He missed and I'm 7 yards away from the ball!!!

We need more population to the ball. Jenkins misses and we have 3 defenders all on top the ball carriers behind is the way it should be.

We need more population to the ball.

This has been the main issue. Most of the times it is just situational awareness. Last years implementation of Spag's version of a 4-3 difference seemed hard for guys to master at times...Can't imagine a RR 3-4 defense with all his "Schemes"???

Only time will tell I guess.

This has been the main issue. Most of the times it is just situational awareness. Last years implementation of Spag's version of a 4-3 difference seemed hard for guys to master at times...Can't imagine a RR 3-4 defense with all his "Schemes"???

Only time will tell I guess.

The Saints don't have time. This has been a Saints problem for years. The game is not called tackle football for nothing. Saints players ride 5-10 yards trying to strip the ball. I have nothing against ball striping but stopping the progress of a runner is first priority.
Agree, situational awareness important but that's practice.

The strip the ball first mentality is a Greg Williams after effect that is still lingering in the minds of quite a few of our defenders. I only know that Ryan and his "schemes" HAS to be an improvement over Spags' "we are not really sure what we are doing" defense. I admit when I first heard the news that we hired Ryan I was not happy. I attribute this to my hatred of all things Cowboys but after putting it in perspective I would be infuriated if we would have stuck with Spags. What Ryan was able to achieve in Dallas is commendable with the talent he was given. Were they the best defense in the NFL? Of course not...... Were they better than the Saints? I do believe so. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The def. coord. will matter not a bit if the Saints defenders continue to take poor angles to the ball, whether being carried by a ball carreier or thrown. Too many times they used poor fundamentals when breaking down before making the hit or do not break down at all...and whiff. Too many times have Harper and Jenkins gone in with their heads down and wound up flailing their arms while on the ground to try to make a stop. Too many times have they been in position to make a stop for a short gain, missed the tackle, and the gain ends up being 8 yards. Too many chances given up to put a team in 3rd and 7, and due to poor tackling/technique its 3rd and 1. I know it will happen occasionally. The other team is trying hard too. But this is a recurring theme under GW's post superbowl year and last year was even worse. I certainly do not know what is coached or taught to defensive players on a pro level, but it seems like they would know this stuff...its junior high fundamentals.

The over desire to strip is a problem but their are an insane amount of one on one missed tackles, where the guy gets 3 to 4 yards or more before he is even challenged by another defender.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom