Can't, legally, watch DVD's on Linux? (1 Viewer)

Yeah; killed my plans for a Linux HTPC box a few years ago. Plus I hate Linux anyway.

I didn't even include a disc drive in my latest htpc build. That's what the ps3 is for. Windows 8 doesn't natively support DVD but I didn't know Linux doesn't.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Yeah; killed my plans for a Linux HTPC box a few years ago. Plus I hate Linux anyway.

i used to love linux (still use it technically; esxi). i like command line driven operating systems. most of the modern linux, bsds excluded, are just windows clones. a lot of the fun has been taken out of the installation process and maintenance. sigh.

i used to love linux (still use it technically; esxi). i like command line driven operating systems. most of the modern linux, bsds excluded, are just windows clones. a lot of the fun has been taken out of the installation process and maintenance. sigh.

I prefer my OS to not be a hobby. To this day, I've never successfully installed GIMP on any distro I've tried. I've also had a lot of stability issues with Linux on my various machines.

I was a big-time command-line guy in the early 90s in DOS, but I eventually got over my elitist mindset sometime in college (because I had one re:Windows -- not saying you have one) and realized the utility of a nice GUI.

Since then, I just can't be much bothered with Command-Line stuff unless I have to (installing Windows services, for instance). Linux has come a long way - but it's not there yet. You ask a Linux guy for help and he will usually give you a lot of command-line voodoo to execute, when all you need is to use the settings GUI that's (probably) available in your distro.

ELITIST!!!

hah. win 3.1/3.11 was awesome because it required command line and a fancy gui. win 95a made me hate windows, but 95b/c brought back my interest. i didn't stop using linux almost excessively until around xp sp1. now because of all the random things i have do daily, gui is definitely preferred at work.

Fun? Hah! I tried a few distros over the years but couldn't take spending hours trying to locate and install drivers, etc. And when something went wrong I was left with command prompts. It wasn't fun to me at all.

Fast forward to this year and I am finally running Ubuntu as the primary os on one of my house systems. It interacts with my windows network, runs Netflix and office and surfs the web. Finally. It may be a windows clone but that is all I ever really wanted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

one man's fun is another man's hell.
I currently have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my home theater PC, Windows 7 on my personal laptop, and OSX 10.8 on my work laptop.
Serious question though, isn't it easier to just find a Linux tutorial and then copy/paste the command prompt stuff into the terminal? As opposed to reading some Windows guide and following along step by step for like 20 steps through control panel/settings/options gui windows and such?
I've been running various versions of Ubuntu since 2007 and at worst I've had to do a little bit of research to get wireless working. Maybe I've just gotten really lucky with my hardware though.

I currently have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my home theater PC, Windows 7 on my personal laptop, and OSX 10.8 on my work laptop.
Serious question though, isn't it easier to just find a Linux tutorial and then copy/paste the command prompt stuff into the terminal? As opposed to reading some Windows guide and following along step by step for like 20 steps through control panel/settings/options gui windows and such?
I've been running various versions of Ubuntu since 2007 and at worst I've had to do a little bit of research to get wireless working. Maybe I've just gotten really lucky with my hardware though.

I think your latter statement is more likely. I've tried several times and after hours spent trying to get drivers for very common video cards and motherboards working, I gave up. I recently tried again with a reasonably common Dell laptop and have had a MUCH better experience. Ubuntu has come a long way and makes a fine Windows replacement for basic functionality. I'm still not confident in using it for more main PC's, but it works well enough. We still need a real solution for Netflix though. Everyday stuff like that is part of what holds Linux back from becoming more mainstream. I remain hopeful with the release of the mobile version though.

and oddly, windows 2012 is the one bringing back the command line.:spit:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom