Canuckredux breaks down the top 10 v.1.0 (1 Viewer)

The candidates: Curtis Lofton, Keith Rivers, Dan Connor, DeSean Jackson, Mike Jenkins, Ryan Clady, Aqib Talib
The pick:
For the New Orleans Saints? I thought you said Aqib Talib was picked by the Patriots.

This is an excellent thread deserving of a small bump. Though I cannot imagine McFadden lasting to 10, I will concede that stranger things have happened in the draft--and running back is a position that some teams are reluctant to draft in the top 10 picks because of wear-and-tear at that position and the chance to select quality linemen.

If McFadden is at 10, the Saints will pick him (barring a top defensive lineman still being on the board, and top defensive linemen go fast). There is no guarantee that Deuce will be fully back this year or that he can give us more than another season or two given his age and history of injuries.

As we saw in 2007, you cannot have too much depth at running back. And while McFadden is more the conventional running back than Bush, McFadden is very versatile and is a weapon coming out ofthe backfield. Defending against both Bush and McFadden would place maximum pressure on opposing defenses.

Last edited:
Good thread; interesting read.

FWIW, it's offense not offence, and defense not defence.

I think the British use the spelling that way.....I read in some British periodicals when discussing defense, as in a war, or conflict, they do write it as defence. I assume "offence" is their version in changing the language to their liking....

There is a slight problem with your thinking......you seem to think that every team ahead of us will draft for need.....but NOT US! Why is that? Why is it that the Saints once picked Deuce when Ricky Jackson was still with the team, and then traded Ricky....couldn't another team do just that? Miami certainly could.....and just about every team ahead of the Saints could go and draft McFadden, even though they're set at the position....just as we were.....

Almost impossible to think that McFadden will fall to #10.....the Adrian Peterson story is a huge reminder of that! Today many teams who had a chance to draft AP are banging their head into the wall....by blaming themselves on missing out on the best RB in at least the last 10 years!

I thought Rickey Jackson was retired

I think the British use the spelling that way.....I read in some British periodicals when discussing defense, as in a war, or conflict, they do write it as defence. I assume "offence" is their version in changing the language to their liking....

That is correct. We have several UK posters here and that discussion has come up more than once. Offence and defence are alternate spelling.

I know a lot of people don't want McFadden and want us to go defense in the first round. If the player is there on defense then I don't disagree, but I think a McFadden/Bush combination would be virtually unstoppable. Adding Thomas into the mix gives us a very versatile backfield that would be able to run, catch, and throw from that position. We would be able to run power sets and spread sets and could easily have all three on the field at once. The possibilities are really endless with that group so I would certainly not regret that pick.

That said, we clearly need help in the secondary, where 3 out of 4 spots are open in my opinion (Roman Harper is the only safe one, now that McKenzie is injured). We need help at linebacker, where we're painfully unathletic outside of Fujita. Despite some people's insistence, Fujita is the real deal and is a legitimately good linebacker. And we need help at defensive tackle where we're old.

So defense is a bigger need for us because we're hurting at several positions, but McFadden at 10 would be a real steal and would really round out our offense for years to come.

So much will change after the combine........

Good thread; interesting read.

FWIW, it's offense not offence, and defense not defence.
[

QUOTE=birdog;893598]I think the British use the spelling that way.....I read in some British periodicals when discussing defense, as in a war, or conflict, they do write it as defence. I assume "offence" is their version in changing the language to their liking....[/QUOTE]

That is correct. We have several UK posters here and that discussion has come up more than once. Offence and defence are alternate spelling.

Actually, I'm Canadian. (Didn't the name give it away? :hihi:)

Also of note, we spell words with "our" instead of "or", like "rumour" "colour" "honour" "neighbour", etc. But we still spell it "Sean Payton" "Robert Meachem" and "Kevin Keasviharn", so don't blame us for it. :hihi:

Last edited:
There is a slight problem with your thinking......you seem to think that every team ahead of us will draft for need.....but NOT US! Why is that? Why is it that the Saints once picked Deuce when Ricky Jackson was still with the team, and then traded Ricky....couldn't another team do just that? Miami certainly could.....and just about every team ahead of the Saints could go and draft McFadden, even though they're set at the position....just as we were.....

Almost impossible to think that McFadden will fall to #10.....the Adrian Peterson story is a huge reminder of that! Today many teams who had a chance to draft AP are banging their head into the wall....by blaming themselves on missing out on the best RB in at least the last 10 years!

Kenny Phillips doesn't fill a need?

(BTW, it was Ricky WILLIAMS that was with the team, and they drafted Deuce to replace him, because they didn't want that injury-prone nutcase around anymore. Plus, Deuce at 23 was, by far, the best player on the board. I remember sitting there in stunned silence when we picked him and did a slow clap.)

I do agree with your point on AD, but McFadden isn't AD. He's a good one, though, and should be snapped up early.

The candidates: Curtis Lofton, Keith Rivers, Dan Connor, DeSean Jackson, Mike Jenkins, Ryan Clady, Aqib Talib
The pick:
For the New Orleans Saints? I thought you said Aqib Talib was picked by the Patriots.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had re-written it a few times and didn't notice that. I fixed it. :)

If the draft goes down like this, I am hoping that Loomis answers the phone and tells Jerry Jones he would love to trade back and take his 2-first round picks. McFadden is worth the smallish amount of equity he would be giving up.

We could take both Dallas' picks and get Dan Connor and whatever CB is highest remaining, other than Mike Jenkins. I am betting the Saints remove Mike Jenkins from their board for off-field altercations.

So much will change after the combine........

Yes indeed. The combine makes our breaks players. Remember how before the combine Daymeion Hughes (now Dante Hughes of the Colts) was supposed to be one of the top corners?

Yes indeed. The combine makes our breaks players. Remember how before the combine Daymeion Hughes (now Dante Hughes of the Colts) was supposed to be one of the top corners?

Yep, you are correct. Unfortunately, it also makes studs out of Mike Mamula and Matt Jones. The combine is very, very overrated. Marques Colston didn't open too many eyes at the combine and he turned out alright. :) There's more to how an athlete will do than a 40 time, or even standard football drills. It's all done in sweats, too, which doesn't do justice to how a player will do in pads. It does give small school guys a chance to become known, though.

Actually, I'm Canadian. (Didn't the name give it away? :hihi:)

Also of note, we spell words with "our" instead of "or", like "rumour" "colour" "honour" "neighbour", etc. But we still spell it "Sean Payton" "Robert Meachem" and "Kevin Keasviharn", so don't blame us for it. :hihi:

The name does in fact give it away. I was just pointing out that because of our UK posters the topic has been brought up before and the alternate spellings hashed out :ezbill:

1. Miami

Offence: 28
Passing: 24
Rushing: 23

Defence: 23
Passing: 4
Rushing: 32

The candidates: Glenn Dorsey, Vernon Gholston, Chris Long, Jake Long
The pick: Matt Ryan

With his risk of injury, the 3-4 scheme they run and the high bust potential of DTs in the draft, Miami may shy away from Glenn Dorsey, even though he is simply the best player at their biggest area of need. It's just not common for DTs to go #1 overall. In the early 90's, Russell Maryland, Steve Emtman and Dan Wilkinson were top picks, but none of them really lived up to their billing and it was also a dark time for NFL talent. Miami may look to trade down from this spot, but without a consensus #1 player that has teams drooling, it might be difficult to find a trading partner. With that in mind, Miami looks to rebuild its team by selecting Matt Ryan as the face of their franchise. Even though they invested a 2nd round pick in John Beck last year, this is a new regime with Bill Parcells taking over the helm. The last time Parcells held the #1 overall pick, he took Drew Bledsoe, so there is a precedent. Even though Matt Ryan may not necessarily be the best player overall, his stock has been rising his senior season and with good showings at the Senior Bowl, Combine and Pro Day, Ryan could catapult himself into this spot.

Trade potential: Moderate. They probably want to deal this pick, but finding someone to pay the price is hard. Don't rule out the possibility of moving the pick to Cleveland, who's got to be eyeballing McFadden and the Browns have QBs to deal, in Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn, who the Dolphins passed over in favour of Ted Ginn. With the depth at RB this year and the fact that the Browns don't have any urgency to deal a QB, such a scenario would be a big stretch.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=763205

Makes the argument more compelling

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom