Canuckredux breaks down the top 10 v.3.0 (1 Viewer)

canuckredux

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Hello all. With the draft just days away, I've been working hard at putting together my final top-10 breakdown. I started some time ago, before the Dolphins took Jake Long, which pretty much rendered my essay on why they should take him, useless. :D But there's more than enough to go around in this addition. This isn't so much a mock draft; if it were I'd put in trades. Instead, I've put in some trade scenarios as well as a breakdown of the guys that the teams are most likely targeting. So, without further ado, I present CRD's top-10 breakdown.

1. Miami

Offence: 28
Passing: 24
Rushing: 23

Defence: 23
Passing: 4
Rushing: 32

With Jake Long, the Dolphins have an anchor to their offensive line. Vernon Carey is a decent player, but he’s also more suited to play the right side. Long is one of the safest players in this draft at a premium position and OT is typically a safe position to draft. They may not be the most talented group, but under Hudson Houck’s tutelage, they improved in the last 3 years. How that will transition into the new regime remains to be seen. The Jeff Ireland led people to believe that Long is out of the picture and the rumours that Long doesn’t like Miami didn’t help, either. Ultimately, it proved to be all a smokescreen and the Dolphins signed Long. There isn’t much depth at the OT position in Miami; he’s a safe pick at a premium position and, when in doubt, look to the trenches, so it’s the pick that makes the most sense.

The pick: Jake Long, OT, Michigan

2. St. Louis

Offence: 24
Passing: 19
Rushing: 25

Defence: 21
Passing: 21
Rushing: 20

With the uncertainties surrounding St. Louis’ defensive scheme (4-3 or 3-4?), it’s difficult to project this pick. If they stay 4-3, then Glenn Dorsey would make the most sense, schematically and as the BPA. Switching to a 3-4 would call for an elite pass-rushing prospect in the mould of Vernon Gholston. While he may not be as complete a defender as Chris Long, his combination of size, speed and athleticism will make him a nightmare for opposing O-linemen and he may end up being the better pass-rusher of the two. He’s got all the tools to be an elite defender at the next level and would be a great asset to help revitalize the Rams’ sagging pass rush. I see Gholston as the guy that can step in right away and be an impact player with almost limitless potential and that’s what I think the Rams would do. Even if they stay 4-3, there may be concerns that Gholston may be a bit undersized to play with his hand down. Don’t buy it: He seemed to do alright with #1 pick Jake Long in their meetings; he should be fine at the next level.

The defensive line is a big area of need; they have equal needs at stopping the run and rushing the passer, so a dual-threat DE like Chris Long would be a perfect fit. Leonard Little is 34 years-old, James Hall was cut and the Giants proved that you can never have too many good pass-rushers. Equally adept at rushing the passer and stopping the run, and with his pedigree, motor and intangibles, Long would be an ideal draft pick and might be the best way the Rams could beef up their floundering D-Line. He seems to be a more well-rounded player than Gholston, who many believe to be the better pass-rusher, but not as adept against the run. Part of the reason this pick is so difficult to project is that there are 3 players, very close in skill, somewhat different in what they bring to the table, but all fill a need. They could really just pull their pick out of a hat.

If your defensive line is need of a presence that will improve the pass rush and run stopping, how about DT Glenn Dorsey? Even though they drafted Adam Carriker last year, he could be moved to his natural DE position and even if not, La’Roi Glover is nearing the end of his career. Dorsey is a prototypical 3-tech in the mould of Warren Sapp and would be an ideal anchor to the Rams’ defensive line, making a greater impact on that line that perhaps anyone could, by drawing double and triple teams, freeing up the pass rush and providing some equally strong backfield penetration of his own, as well as a stout presence against the run. Word is they’re infatuated with Dorsey and it would not be surprising to see them take him, especially if his medical reports check out clean. They DID draft Carriker last year and DE is considered more of a premium than DT, which may work against Dorsey, but he’s also likely to be at the top of their boards as the best player available. Furthermore, recent reports have surfaced that they intend to select him here and that’s where I’ll put him.

The pick: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

3. Atlanta

Offence: 23
Passing: 18
Rushing: 26

Defence: 29
Passing: 23
Rushing: 26

If you’re looking for a dark horse pick here, Vernon Gholston could be someone to look at. Even though they spent a 1st round pick on Jamaal Anderson last year and signed John Abraham to a big contract 2 years ago, Abraham hasn’t been able to stay healthy and you can never have enough good pass rushers. With the money they’ve spent on the position in the last few years and with so many other glaring needs, Gholston wouldn’t make much sense. However, if, say, Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey came off with the first 2 picks and they decided to pass on Matt Ryan, Gholston’s grade would be fitting here.

New coach Mike Smith is a defensive-minded coach with new G.M. Tom Dimitroff coming from New England, which used first round picks on Richard Seymour, Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork. It would be no surprise to see that trend continue with the drafting of Glenn Dorsey, if he’s available here. After releasing Rod Coleman, the DT position has been left very thin and Dorsey would be an ideal fit, providing QB pressure, run-stopping skills and freeing up John Abraham and last year’s 1st, Jamaal Anderson, to get to the QB. However, at this time it looks as though the Rams may beat them to the punch with Dorsey, so they look to their next most glaring need.

With 4 of the first 48 picks in the draft, the Falcons are in a position to make a major impact in this very deep draft. Much like Miami, the Falcons are in need of a QB, however, unlike Miami, who has John Beck in development, Atlanta’s best QB play came from journeyman Chris Redman. They’re so desperate for a QB that they re-signed Joey Harrington, so prevailing wisdom would indicate that the most sensible pick at #3 would be Matt Ryan. After the public relations nightmare from the Michael Vick debacle, the Falcons’ image has been tarnished and is in need of a new face of the franchise. The administration, and in particular owner Arthur Blank, should easily fall in love with B.C.’s golden boy, who is a natural field general with top character and all of the physical tools necessary to be a top QB at the next level. There have been some rumours floating around that Atlanta could look towards a QB in the 2nd round, but with only Ryan, Brian Brohm and Joe Flacco carrying high grades and with Baltimore, Chicago, possibly Tampa Bay, Kansas City at 17 and, to a lesser extent, Detroit and even Carolina possibly looking at QBs, that might not be a risk they’re willing to take. With no other options, having a lot of money tied up in their DEs, signing Michael Turner means no McFadden, the Falcons may look to trade back a few spots, but to whom? If they keep the pick here, Matt Ryan is the player that makes the most sense here. He’s a safe, if unspectacular, player.

The pick: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

4. Oakland

Offence: 25
Passing: 31
Rushing: 6

Defence: 22
Passing: 8
Rushing: 31

One name that is constantly linked with the Raiders is Darren McFadden. With the breakout season of the newly re-signed Justin Fargas and Michael Bush having a world of potential, it would seem as though running back isn’t the greatest area of need and McFadden would be little more than a dark horse, but in the world of Al Davis, the dark horse is often the lead horse and with his rare athleticism and skill set, McFadden is just the type of player that Al covets, especially after seeing the Minnesota Vikings draft a RB that they didn’t need last year, and he turned out alright. Davis is possessed to win and win now and his recent spending spree only proves this, so amplifying an already strong running attack makes very little sense and though Davis has been branded a bit of a nutcase who would slobber all over a player like McFadden, he’s also built winning teams in his years and so I’d think he’d look elsewhere. Then again, this IS Al Davis.

They had the 31st-ranked rushing defence in the league last year, despite having one of the more talented LB groups in the league, so shoring their interior defensive line appears to be the top priority. Even though they just signed Tommy Kelly to a huge contract, Warren Sapp has retired and Tyler Brayton is now in Carolina. They do have the massive Terdell Sands and Gerard Warren at the position, but it would be hard to pass up a prospect with the skills of Sedrick Ellis. In addition to providing additional pass-rushing skills and freeing up the DEs by taking on double and triple teams, Ellis is a solid run-stopper and, teamed with Kelly, would be an unstoppable duo in the middle and would help make them one of the dominant defenses in the league. Keep in mind, you could swap Ellis’ name with Glenn Dorsey, if, by some remote chance, he should make it past the Rams and Falcons, which I would doubt.

Al Davis wants to win now and you can’t win football games on 27 sacks in a season, pretty much half of what the Super Bowl champs got last year. They have a sensational secondary, with former first round picks, Nnamdi Asomugha, DeAngelo Hall, Micheal Huff and free agent Gibril Wilson on board. However, the most important element in defending the pass is getting to the QB, which the Raiders have been abysmal at for years, so drafting a top-notch DE here would be in order. Derek Burgess is good, but Jay Richardson is nothing to write home about. If Chris Long were still on the board here, then he would be a fine pick for the Raiders. With Derek Burgess entrenched on the weak side, Long would be a perfect complement lining up against the right tackle to give them one of the best DE combos in the league.

Speed and athleticism. Freakish measurables. Size, strength, agility. Gholston. Defensive line is a big need and, if it’s not Chris Long that’s caught Al’s eye, it’s Vernon Gholston. We all know how Al loves the rare physical specimen and Gholston has all of the tools necessary to step in and be a pass-rushing nightmare from day 1. Although he may not be as versatile or complementary to the D-line as Chris Long might be (Burgess is a speed rusher, best suited on the weak side; so is Gholston), you can’t deny the type of physical presence that Gholston brings to the field and you just find ways to get them in the game. While I think that Long would make the more sense, I think Al likes a player of Gholston’s caliber more. I’d toss a coin and say Gholston over Long by a slight hair.

The pick: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

5. Kansas City

Offence: 31
Passing: 20
Rushing: 32

Defence: 13
Passing: 5
Rushing: 28

Even though they had the 5th-ranked pass defence in the league last year, Ty Law is gone and Patrick Surtain will be 32 this season and, beyond that, there isn’t much depth, so drafting a young CB could always be an option and Leodis McKelvin would garner a lot of attention. Though he may not be considered an elite prospect, CB is a premium position and needs are needs. I’m more likely to think they’ll go after a CB in round 2 and there is a very strong possibility that the phone lines will be buzzing with trade activity with teams looking to move up, should a stud player still be on the board. If the DEs and Dorsey are off the board by this pick, you’re looking at a very strong trade potential because they could go with a CB or an OT later in the round.

Their biggest need at this point is undoubtedly OT. Jake Long has been picked by Miami, so Ryan Clady, Branden Albert and Jeff Otah will have to be in the mix at the #5 pick. I’m putting them together because they are close enough for the selection to go either way, based on need. That being said, they are different players, with Clady being an athletic, pass blocking prototypical LT, Otah being a massive road-grader, who could be one of the top RTs in the league for a long time and Albert being the great unknown: Can he play tackle like pundits say or is he just and athletic guard riding a wave of hype? Will Svitek and Damion McIntosh are both easily replaceable, so both prospects would be instant starters. A clear argument can be made for Otah, as he appears to be stronger in the running game, which finished last in the league last year, but his stock’s been slipping as of late and he’s a sloppy tactician. Schematically, he may make the most sense, but there’s a possibility that they could get him at 17. Clady’s no slouch either and he does protect the QB’s blind side, so he’s got the edge in position value and Albert appears to have the most upside of the three, but he’s a great unknown. Either way, they’d be getting a fine player, but would they be reaching? With a second pick in the first round, due to the Jared Allen trade, there should still be a good OT available, so I think they’ll address that need there.

Herm Edwards is a defence-first coach and although the D ranked 13th in the league last year, they were downright dreadful against the run. They may have the most talented trio of LBs in the NFL, in Derrick Johnson, Napoleon Harris and Donnie Edwards and all-galaxy DE Jared Allen making plays every snap and up-and-comer Tamba Hali opposite him, so how do they finish 28th against the run? You’re not going to scare anyone with Alfonso Boone and Ron Edwards, so the need for a stud interior lineman cannot be overstated, so Sedrick Ellis would make a ton of sense here. An absolute terror against the run and the pass, Ellis is another playmaker in the trenches and in front of Derrick Johnson, they might have the most feared weak-side unit in the NFL. The hope is that Tank Tyler will emerge soon and with Hali, the addition of a stud DT would make this group one of the most feared units in the league and Ellis is a much better player than Ryan Clady or Jeff Otah or even Branden Albert.

Matt Ryan’s another possibility here, if he’s still on the board. They seem to like Bordie Croyle, but he hasn’t secured the position by a long shot. If the DEs and Dorsey are off the board at this point, he might be on the top of their board and be the pick out of the spirit of drafting the best player available that would still somewhat fill a need.

With Jared Allen leaving via free agency, if either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston were still on the board here, they would make the most sense. Long would bring the same run-stopping, pass-rushing versatility that Allen did and I had been comparing Long to Allen for some time. Gholston would be an excellent addition, too, being a prototypical weak-side pass-rusher. I’d think that Long would bring to the table a closer resemblance to what they had in Allen, but both would be good additions and, if either are still on the board, they would make the most sense. I have the Raiders marginally favouring Gholston, so the Chiefs would be only too happy to have Chris Long fall into their laps.

The pick: Chris Long, DE, Virginia

6. New York Jets

Offence: 26
Passing: 25
Rushing: 19

Defence: 18
Passing: 9
Rushing: 29

Kellen Clemens has had the opportunity to secure the starting QB, but he’s not yet been able to do so. Although he’s still young and inexperienced, the possibility of drafting franchise signal-caller Matt Ryan at #6 might be too tempting to pass up. Worst-case scenario, they could have an emergence, like Drew Brees in San Diego or Derek Anderson in Cleveland, which might give the Jets some more bargaining power. If there IS a lesson to be learned from this, though, it’s that you need to give your QB time to develop and, if Clemens turns into the franchise QB they hoped he would, then this would be a wasted pick.

Even though they drafted Darrelle Revis last year, CB is still an area of need, so Leodis McKelvin could garner some serious attention. Teamed with Revis and Kerry Rhodes, the Jets would have one of the most exciting young secondaries in the NFL.

Before the Jared Allen deal, it would have seemed that the Raiders and Jets’ picks were somewhat interchangeable, the idea being that the Chiefs had different needs from DE and RB and Vernon Gholston and Darren McFadden being the 2 players that would be in question. That’s not so much the case anymore as the Chiefs will be looking for a DE as well and that could muddy things a bit, but not much. Ultimately, I still think that the names McFadden, Gholston and Long will be heavily looked upon by Jets brass and they would do well to take whoever’s left; in terms of the needs of the teams picking ahead of them, I’d put it McFadden, Long, Gholston in that order as the likelihood of who the Jets will have, but it’s a close call. Probably the worst-case scenario here is if McFadden goes to the Raiders and the Chiefs take Gholston, for 2 reasons: #1, McFadden would fill a greater need. As good as Gholston and Long are, they just spent a bunch of money on Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas has finally found his niche as a pass-rushing OLB. However, having the opportunity to draft a player of Long/Gholston’s ability would be far from a bad choice, because they would do well to improve their pass-rush, which their cross-town rivals parlayed into Super Bowl success. I think that Chris Long may be the least of the 3, in terms of impact, as I think that Gholston’s more natural to play outside in the 3-4, but the difference isn’t major. Ultimately, if things play out the way they should, then the best-case scenario for the Jets will play out with the selection of Darren McFadden. This team is desperate for an identity, a face of the franchise to market. After losing out on the chance to get Reggie Bush in 2006, the Jets are now in prime position to get a playmaking superstar to sell jerseys.

The pick: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

7. New England (f/SF)

Offence: 1
Passing: 1
Rushing: 13

Defence: 4
Passing: 6
Rushing: 10

With the Spygate scandal costing the Patriots a 1st round pick and with the Matt Walsh meeting scheduled for May 13th, potentially costing them more picks, the Patriots, who have no DESPERATE needs here, may look to trade down from this pick. With Sedrick Ellis as the last of the blue-chippers on the board, a bidding war could ensue between the Bengals and Saints. All things being equal, it’s the Saints who are in the bad spot: Trading down to 9 is more desirable than trading down to 10. Our 2nd round pick may not be part of the deal, as we seem to want to get Shockey with that pick and we don’t have a 4th rounder, so we seem less versatile than the Bengals. However, there’s something that’s got to be said for the Patriots possibly covering their butts by preferring to trade to a non-conference team and our GM has a history of trading up in the first round, so he may be more reliable to get a deal done. Nonetheless, I feel 50/50 that Sedrick Ellis will go here, but to whom is the issue. I think that if the Bengals let the Patriots pick here, then the Ravens will let their pick go for much less, just to stick it to their division rivals, so they’ll make a push to get this pick, preventing the Saints from getting Ellis. Hopefully we can jump them and make it happen, though. :D Don’t rule out Detroit, either, who traded Shaun Rogers to Cleveland and have 2 3rd round picks to play with.

With the linebackers getting a little long in the tooth, a dynamic playmaker like Keith Rivers would fit the bill. A versatile, athletic specimen who is adept in coverage and in pursuit, Rivers offers the type of range required to play in the Patriots’ complex defensive scheme. Don’t rule out Derrick Harvey, either.

If they keep the pick, there are a few areas of need that they could address. When trying to address weaknesses, the first thing to look at was your last mistake. In the Super Bowl, the Giants were able to get significant pressure on Tom Brady, which was a major factor in the Giants’ win. Drafting an offensive lineman might be the correct call here. Ryan Clady comes to mind, but he’s more a left tackle, where Pro-Bowler Matt Light is an anchor, paired up next to fellow pro-bowler Logan Mankins. More than likely, they’ll look to the right side, where Branden Albert might be the most sensible pick. There are some concerns about whether or not Albert is a trendy pick right now, being a guard that “should be able” to play tackle at the next level. Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli are some of the best talent evaluators in the NFL and if they feel he is, they’re probably right.

They could look to replace fill their depleted secondary by drafting Leodis McKelvin. After Asante Samuel and Randall Gay bolted via free agency, the Patriots were left with some needs in their secondary and McKelvin, whose aggressive, physical style of play would do well in the Patriots’ scheme, is graded as very pro-ready and could come in and challenge for a starting spot immediately. He is also a dynamic return man and would challenge or complement Ellis Hobbs in the return game. I still think they can get one of the above mentioned targets by moving down a few spots and getting some more picks, so I’m still thinking that’ll be what happens, but if they keep the pick, I’m going to say the pick is McKelvin.

The pick: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy State

8. Baltimore

Offence: 22
Passing: 23
Rushing: 16

Defence: 4
Passing: 20
Rushing: 2

The trickle-down effect of the St. Louis Rams’ draft pick will be felt all the way down the top 10, perhaps nowhere more than Baltimore, who will be after Matt Ryan at the #8 selection. If the Rams don’t take Dorsey, the feeling is that he will be taken by Atlanta. If the Rams DO take him, the feeling is that Matt Ryan will be the Falcons’ choice. If Matt Ryan is on the board here, the Ravens would love to have him on board, as the retirement of Steve McNair has left a big hole at the QB position and Ryan would be an excellent value here and everything in a franchise QB that they thought they were getting when they drafted Kyle Boller.

If the Patriots don’t trade out of the #7 spot, don’t be surprised to see Sedrick Ellis taken here. He would be the best player available at the time, so the Ravens could simply select him to play on their line, but he wouldn’t make the most sense for their scheme. Instead, look for Mickey Loomis to call up Ozzie Newsome and work out a trade that keeps Ellis from going to the division rival Bengals.

An outside possibility is that the team could look at Keith Rivers for their linebacking corps. After Adalius Thomas left the team via free agency, they thought they had his replacement in Jarrett Johnson. While he hasn’t been bad, he’s not as athletic and versatile as Thomas and Rivers would give them the playmaker they’ve been looking for. Don’t rule out Derrick Harvey, either.

If Ryan is off the board, their next area of concern is CB, where Leodis McKelvin and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie would garner a lot of serious attention. Having just drafted Yamon Figurs, McKelvin’s return ability might not have much influence in the Ravens’ war room, but his readiness to start might, whereas DRC may need a bit more work. If McKelvin is off the board (even if not), DRC would be the best choice for the Ravens here. With a freakish blend of size, speed and athleticism, this small-school prospect has seen his stock skyrocket after strong showings at the Senior Bowl and Combine and has all the tools to be one of the league’s dominant corners. Again, if there is no trade made here, I think that this would be the pick.

The pick: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State

9. Cincinnati

Offence: 10
Passing: 7
Rushing: 24

Defence: 27
Passing: 26
Rushing: 21

The Bengals have needs on both sides of the ball. On offense, their rushing attach was an abysmal 24th in the NFL. Rudi Johnson, when healthy, was ineffective and Kenny Watson, while flashing moments of brilliance, was largely ineffective. They spend a 1st round pick on Chris Perry a few years back, but he’s struggled to get onto the field and they spent a 2nd rounder on Kenny Irons last year, but he tore his ACL in the preseason and was lost for the year. If you have too much of something, you probably have nothing and that’s what the Bengals are dealing with here and a player like Rashard Mendenhall would come in and end their RB problems and take pressure off Carson Palmer, which would be compounded with the departure of Chad Johnson. Mendenhall has a rare blend of size, speed, power and agility that makes him the most complete back in this class and well above anybody currently on their roster.

Offensive line is an area of concern for the Bengals. Willie Anderson will be 33 this year and it might be a good time to start grooming his replacement. Also, their interior line doesn’t look too good and they could use a starter, so my not address 2 goals in one by selecting Branden Albert? A day-1 starter at guard, he’s also a potential tackle at the next level and could take over should Anderson’s play drop off or he leave. Ryan Clady is an option here, but they’ve already got Levi Jones at that position and he’s good player, plus, by most accounts, Albert has the higher upside, so selecting him would be a very good upgrade to their line.

Linebacker’s an area of concern and the name Keith Rivers keeps popping up, as they need a rangy, athletic playmaker who can rush the passer or drop back into coverage. A day 1 starter at WLB, Rivers would combine with Ahmad Brooks and the newly-reinstated Odell Thurman to make one of the best young LB trios in the NFL. Thurman’s return, however, does make this less of a priority, however, there is rumour that they are considering a switch to a 3-4, in which case, another LB would be an order. If this is the case, don’t rule out Derrick Harvey, either.

Their #1 target should be Sedrick Ellis. If he’s available to them, either by trade or by standing still, it would be hard to imagine a scenario where the Bengals don’t take him. Failed attempts to trade for Shaun Rogers and Dewayne Robertson pretty much exposed their hand and a player of Ellis’ ability would be nearly impossible for them to pass up. I think it might be a bidding war to move up to get him, though, but, in whatever fashion, if they are in a position to draft him, they most likely would.

The pick: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

10. New Orleans

Offence: 4
Passing: 3
Rushing: 28

Defence: 26
Passing: 30
Rushing: 13

Even though they picked up Randall Gay in the offseason, cornerback continues to be an area of need for the Saints. This pass defense was downright dreadful last year, thanks in large part to the horrible play of Jason David. Even though they have signed Gay, he was a backup in New England and they drafted Usama Young last year, but he still hasn’t made his mark, so the Saints have a lot of unproven guys to push for a starting job and develop behind Mike McKenzie. The feeling is that Leodis McKelvin would be the answer this year, but I’ve got to think that Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie would be the better long-term solution. You never want to start a rookie CB as it is one of the hardest positions to learn and you are constantly the target of opposing passers, so the guys they have now might be the best option for this year, but there can be no denying DRCs upside and value in situational packages.

Offensive line is an area of need. Jammaal Brown is one of the game’s best left tackles and Jahri Evans is one of the up and coming guards in this league, but the rest of the line needs some help, especially at right tackle, where they could use someone to open up holes in the running game. Ryan Clady would garner a look, but he’s better suited to play the left side and isn’t a particularly good road-grader. Jeff Otah is a guy that I really like: a big, strong, mauling tackle that would open up massive lanes for Reggie Bush to run through. Branden Albert’s the highest rated interior lineman and a rare guard that could warrant a top 10 selection (unlike Chris Naeole) and has the potential to play tackle. As I’ve questioned before, though: If he could play tackle, why didn’t he? At 6’7, you’d figure he’s a natural fit there, but he played inside… why?

If, either by trade or by… well, it would almost certainly have to be by trade, we were in a position to take Sedrick Ellis, then there would be no hesitation by the front office to do so. A big, powerful, athletic beast with top-notch intangibles, Ellis would be exactly what this front line needs, both as a run-stopper and in the pass-rush, not only for his own rushing skills, but also to command double and triple coverage to free up the ends. This would, in turn, take some of the pressure off the secondary. There is perhaps no position that would be as pivotal to the Saints success as a top-notch DT and Ellis would be exactly what they need to improve their dreadful defense. More than likely, we will have to trade up to get him, but, with Loomis’ track record of wheeling and dealing on draft day, expect that he will make his best effort.

Linebacker is another area of concern. Even though we traded for Jonathan Vilma, there still isn’t much to write home about. Scott Fujita is a good player, but the weak side needs some help. Even though we signed Dan Morgan, with his injury concerns and being on a 1 year contract, he hardly seems to be the long-term solution. We need a player who can get behind the line of scrimmage and blow things up; an athletic, powerful, agile force to raise the play of our defense. Of course I’m speaking of Shawn Crable. :D Ok, now that you’ve woken up from this epic, I’m speaking of Keith Rivers. Rivers’ playmaking ability, versatility in blitzing, pursuit and coverage and his athleticism, teamed with Vilma and Fujita would give us a very good linebacking trio whose skills complement one another in a manner not seen since the Dome Patrol

The pick: Keith Rivers, LB, USC

So, you can see the implications of what the Rams do all the way down to what we do. We might be in a position to draft a corner or not. What will happen with trades remains to be seen, but you can bet the phone lines are going to be lit up with offers. Anyways, I hope this has been engrossing; I hope that we can get ourselves a good player out of this and enjoy the weekend that is the draft.

My eyes are glazed over at this point, so I may have to edit this post sooner or later, but I feel pretty good about it.

It would take me all night to read all of that. But if we get Rivers I am happy. If we pick a CB I will look around in despair just like last year when we picked Meach

maybe, but I bet Derrik Harvey is in the top ten. pass rushers are in high demand and harvey has gone against top competition, ask jake long and he will tell you he has the best first step in this draft. 12 sacks last year

If Dorsey goes Rams then Atlanta will get Long or OT. I think they trade back into the first and get a QB. Heck they can make Browns an offer for Quinn or pick up a good QB late 1st or 2nd round.

If Dorsey goes Rams then Atlanta will get Long or OT. I think they trade back into the first and get a QB. Heck they can make Browns an offer for Quinn or pick up a good QB late 1st or 2nd round.

Easier said than done. No OT is worth the #3 pick and DE isn't a need. They have a lot of money tied up in Jammaal Anderson and John Abraham.

Excellent research and well written article. I would be very happy with Keith Rivers as our pick.

Nicely done. Well thought out. I refuse to take offense on how you spelled "offence". So do not get "defencive".

Nicely done. Well thought out. I refuse to take offense on how you spelled "offence". So do not get "defencive".

I'm (obviously) Canadian and we spell it with a "c", but I tried to mix it up for the Americans. :D

Good breakdown, but I will buy a Rivers jersey just to burn it if we draft him, and put the video on here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom