Cap Casualties (1 Viewer)

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
There is no way to make a good projection draft wise prior to the Saints cutting players and adding players through Free Agency. Usually Loomis uses Free Agency to seal holes as best as possible as to go into the draft with the mindset we are taking the highest player on our board, but if we are unable to fill needs by signing veteran replacements it could put us in a severe hole going into the draft, especially if we cut/allow someone to walk.

This link shows all the free agents and potential cap casualties league wide, it looks to be a pretty good list: List of 2013 NFL Free Agents and Potential Cap Casualties

Here is their Saints list

New Orleans Saints

QB Chase Daniel
RB Chris Ivory (RFA)
WR Devery Henderson
WR Courtney Roby
TE Daniel Fraham
TE David Thomas ($1.5 + $200k roster bonus)
OT Jermon Bushrod
C Brian De La Puente (RFA)
C Justin Drescher (RFA)
C Eric Olsen (ERFA)
DL Sedrick Ellis
DL Junior Galette (RFA)
DL Turk McBride
DL Will Smith ($9 + $1m roster bonus + $150k workout)
LB Jonathan Casillas
LB Ramon Humber? (undisclosed)
LB Curtis Lofton ($1.1 + $5m roster bonus, base guar.)
LB Scott Shanle
LB Jonathan Vilma ($4.8 + $1.1m roster bonus, $100k workout)
DB Rafael Bush (ERFA)
DB Adrian Davis? (undisclosed)
DB Roman Harper ($5.25 + $100k workout, unknown guar.)
DB Elbert Mack? (undisclosed)

It's a good list, but it's not up-to-date. My guess is that the only free agents the Saints sign are ones who were on the team last season. Not a good situation to be in, but it is what it is. The Saints still have a mountain to climb as far as just getting under the cap enough to sign their draftees is concerned. And they will need to fill the holes mentioned. Backup QB has to come from somewhere, and I believe Chase Daniel will be re-signed. He knows he won't be signed by any other team as more than a backup, so I'm sure he would rather back up Brees than anyone else. But the Saints will have to clear enough cap space to do that.

Pierre Thomas could be traded as well, Florio was talking about that yesterday on his Saints "offseason to do list".

Is it possible we see an unexpected cut/trade PT seems to be the biggest, maybe Sproles.

Will smith making 9$ mil is absurd to the highest degree.

Isn't Sproles scheduled to make twice as much as PT who would be 2nd highest paid?

Isn't Sproles scheduled to make twice as much as PT who would be 2nd highest paid?

Sproles is more valuable than PT and hardly ever gets injured. Don't get me wrong Thomas has been great for us but if I had to trade one it'd be Thomas.

Sproles is not worth over 4 million, when he went down our run game exploded.

Sproles is more valuable than PT and hardly ever gets injured. Don't get me wrong Thomas has been great for us but if I had to trade one it'd be Thomas.
Why is this myth so damn popular on this board? Want solid proof that PT is our best all around back? Go back and watch the Saints/49ers Divisional Round. We moved the ball like no ones business till PT went down, then the run game all but disappeared.

Why is this myth so damn popular on this board? Want solid proof that PT is our best all around back? Go back and watch the Saints/49ers Divisional Round. We moved the ball like no ones business till PT went down, then the run game all but disappeared.

I think they're gonna trade PT regardless. That's just my opinion though.

PT is probably my fav back in the league but Sproles seems like he'd have more value with his punt return skills. PT brings more value blocking. With the all-purpose yards record and the ability to play receiver, running back and punt returner, he's probably got a little more value on the market. but like i said, i agree that PT is probably the most important back for this team. i really hope he remains a saint for a long time.

PT just has te trade friendly contract. He literally has no guaranteed money. With a few years left on his contrac, we could trade him and not owe anything. He would also garner a lot of interest from, the Titans, Packers, Lions, Jets and Chargers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom