Cap Experts (1 Viewer)

Wraith

Finally Made It!
Reaction score
Need some help here from the cap experts on this board. I’ve seen threads about wanting to sign different free agents but with the projected cut in the cap, can we?

I’m guessing we’re going to be way over the reduced cap so are we looking at a down year or 2. Just trying to build through the draft and no free agents? Honest question.

Not an expert but the math is plain. We have the biggest expenditure, lots of dead money with Brees, and the cap will be relatively low due to decline in profits.

There's no way we sign anybody big and new. We'll be lucky to keep the guys that we have. If we end up keeping Rankins and Hendrickson I'll be happy. Cook and Anzalone will get paid more by others. Winston can stay to back up Taysom if he's cheap; if not then Payton will get somebody he likes better. The other free agent guys we have are just guys.

Need some help here from the cap experts on this board. I’ve seen threads about wanting to sign different free agents but with the projected cut in the cap, can we?

I’m guessing we’re going to be way over the reduced cap so are we looking at a down year or 2. Just trying to build through the draft and no free agents? Honest question.

The best case scenario I've seen for the Saints still puts them at $60m over the cap going into the 2021 season. Add in the players they're losing or will want to try to retain, and there really isn't much to work with in terms of external free agents. I think Loomis learned his lesson with completely backloading a contract the way he did with Byrd. That put the team in cap hell for a player who was dramatically worse here than current SR.com punching bag Marcus Williams. If there is a player the Saints fall in love with who is a pending free agent, they'll find a way to make it work, they always do. However I don't expect to see the Saints being overly active in free agency. I think they're going to focus on maximizing the value of their draft picks.

We won’t be able to sign many (any?) outside guys. But we also won’t lose too much.

Trey and Marcus are the two who will be hardest to keep. But even if they leave, we have a good amount of draft capital and I don’t see much dropoff.

So, I wouldn’t say we are in for any down years. We still have a great HC good OLine (which should get better with reps for Ruiz and the other interior guys together) and a very good DLine. Not to mention Thomas and Kamara.

I’m still expecting to win the NFC South.

Not an expert but the math is plain. We have the biggest expenditure, lots of dead money with Brees, and the cap will be relatively low due to decline in profits.

There's no way we sign anybody big and new. We'll be lucky to keep the guys that we have. If we end up keeping Rankins and Hendrickson I'll be happy. Cook and Anzalone will get paid more by others. Winston can stay to back up Taysom if he's cheap; if not then Payton will get somebody he likes better. The other free agent guys we have are just guys.
We don't yet what the cap will be and likely won't until a few weeks after the Super Bowl. It could be anywhere from $175M-$200M depending on how negotiations go with the NFLPA. They are looking at borrowing from future caps to get the 2021 up to at least equal with last years $198M. With the extra regular season games next year and the expanded playoffs the network contracts are going to be bigger than originally forecast and local revenue will also increase once stadiums can go back to full. That money over the next couple of years could easily be used to make up for the 2020 shortfall.

We don't yet what the cap will be and likely won't until a few weeks after the Super Bowl. It could be anywhere from $175M-$200M depending on how negotiations go with the NFLPA. They are looking at borrowing from future caps to get the 2021 up to at least equal with last years $198M. With the extra regular season games next year and the expanded playoffs the network contracts are going to be bigger than originally forecast and local revenue will also increase once stadiums can go back to full. That money over the next couple of years could easily be used to make up for the 2020 shortfall.

Thats a good point. And the 17th game will help the next TV deal which will equal more $

Theres a bunch of moves the Saints will make to get under the cap.

Extension for Ram
Extension/restructure for Kwon
Extension for Marshon
Release/restructure Malcolm Brown
Release/restructure Easton
Post June 1 designation for Drew
Restructure 1 or 2 other high cap salaries(Taysom, AK, Jordan, Peat, Thomas)
Restructure kicker and punter

Dont worry, this is where we get to see the importance of Mickey!

This is an excellent article. Thank you and everyone else that replied trying to help me understand this mess.

We won’t be able to sign many (any?) outside guys. But we also won’t lose too much.

Trey and Marcus are the two who will be hardest to keep. But even if they leave, we have a good amount of draft capital and I don’t see much dropoff.

So, I wouldn’t say we are in for any down years. We still have a great HC good OLine (which should get better with reps for Ruiz and the other interior guys together) and a very good DLine. Not to mention Thomas and Kamara.

I’m still expecting to win the NFC South.

We can't keep everybody but those core players will be resigned (Lattimore, Williams and Ram) but we could lose players who were brought in for the SB run (Cooks, Kwon, Jenkins) and we could cut some players (Easton) and lose players (Hendrickson, Rankins)

Everything i've read leads me to believe we'll be fine next year. No way we can pay Hendrickson, and Marcus Williams may be too expensive to keep, but everything else should be OK. We're so deep that we can afford the loss of a couple of players. I worry about our secondary if we lose Williams and can't restructure Janoris Jenkins, but otherwise I'm pretty optimistic.

The main question is quarterback, and we have decent options.

They will sign Ramczyk and Lattimore. Rankins, Williams and Hendrickson are likely gone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom