Cap number for 2022 and how much the saints have already committed (1 Viewer)

Isn't Taysom under contract for a boatload of fake money for next year? The Saints situation may not be quite as dire as it looks.

Isn't Taysom under contract for a boatload of fake money for next year? The Saints situation may not be quite as dire as it looks.

8.9 mil. I’m not sure if that goes away if his contract is voided or if some of it is from this contact or what but the 35mil/year isn’t on our cap.

8.9 mil. I’m not sure if that goes away if his contract is voided or if some of it is from this contact or what but the 35mil/year isn’t on our cap.

The $8.9m doesn't go away. His contract automatically voids. Loomis does this to spread out cap hits over multiple years to soften their per-year cap hit for a price of a potential back-end dead money cap hit, but the player isn't actually getting any less guaranteed money per year, in fact the way Loomis structures it, they usually get more guaranteed money.

The $8.9m doesn't go away. His contract automatically voids. Loomis does this to spread out cap hits over multiple years to soften their per-year cap hit for a price of a potential back-end dead money cap hit, but the player isn't actually getting any less guaranteed money per year, in fact the way Loomis structures it, they usually get more guaranteed money.

Then that’s how bad our cap management is. Drew, Jameis, and Taysom count 23 million next year and none of them are on the team.

Then that’s how bad our cap management is. Drew, Jameis, and Taysom count 23 million next year and none of them are on the team.

I wouldn't call it bad cap management, it was Loomis doing what he had to do to keep the team as competitive as possible while Brees was here. However when he does this, it puts dead money out there that eventually will come due. At this point, it looks like it the plan all along was to kick the can down the road for as long as they could while Brees was here, and then when Brees did retire, they'd do a "soft reset" of the roster and absorb the dead money blows. They'd have to deal with the dead money sooner or later, and with the players they lost this year, it seems that Loomis is not looking to continue to kick it down the road any more than he has to to get under the cap.

The good news is that next year instead of being some $90m over the cap, they're $600k under it. While at first glance it looks bad, they have some very highly paid players who they could restructure and give them higher guarantees for a lower cap hit in 2022 and make room for guys like Ramcyzk, and Loomis can do this without doing the voidable years approach thanks to the cap being expected to massively increase in 2023 when the new TV deal kicks in. I've seen some estimates putting the 2023 cap as high as $240m, with the low estimates being $220m.

The Saints are in a soft-reset. They're going to lose some great players, but that is what happens when you draft as well as they Saints have. At this point we can just hope the cap balloons higher than projected and the Saints can retain as many of their stars as they can.

And how is the depth chart?

I mean, situation may look better, but it depends on how many players we will continue to loose and if we are able to replace them accordingly.
not good. but i expected the team to suck a couple years post brees. so i dont really care. i have zero SB hopes upcoming. just hoping to stay around .500

we are about to realize how spoiled we were with brees the last 15 years. reality will suck. IMO.

And how is the depth chart?

I mean, situation may look better, but it depends on how many players we will continue to lose and if we are able to replace them accordingly.
Exactly. It's not a question of whether or not Loomis can do it because he absolutely can. He has shown time and again that he can do whatever it takes to get around the cap. My question now is should he? Should the Saints continue to create dead money by kicking the can?

If Winston turns out to be legit then by all means, let's stay in all in mode. But if he's not so great then we'll be going all in on a stone cold bluff with nothing but a jack high.

So right now, without any movement, we are $600K under the cap.

We will still have to find between this and next year money to accommodate extensions for Lattimore, Ramczyk, Armstead, Williams and Davis.

Not an easy task, but something that can be done.

The amount of picks we have for 2022 will be very important, since we won't be able to be players at the free agent market once again.
So to everyone wondering "why havent we signed anyone yet" or "such and such has been made available we should bring him in" now you know why.

This team is going to be looking for cheap labor for the next few seasons and the core talent we have on offense and defense will be the staple for this team going forward.

So to everyone wondering "why havent we signed anyone yet" or "such and such has been made available we should bring him in" now you know why.

This team is going to be looking for cheap labor for the next few seasons and the core talent we have on offense and defense will be the staple for this team going forward.
hopefully they keep drafting like 2017

IMO, the problem will be if Jameis becomes a All-Pro, MVP type player we won't be in the market to get into a bidding war to keep him

I think that’s what he’s counting on.
I’m sure if he’s super successful next season, he’s going to want to stay here, but he also chose 2 years of pay cuts in order to return to that high-level and get a big money contract here, or more likely somewhere else. I just hope it’s not in Atlanta like Bobby, Morten and Joe Horn did us.

That’s why I said 208 seems low. NFL Owners make a habit of low balling the cap every year. Where you born yesterday?
Actually, more than 72 years ago.

Here's the headline of the ESPN article...

NFL, players' union agree to set 2022 salary-cap ceiling at $208.2 million, source says

It's not that difficult to understand... but you go ahead and believe what you want. LOL

I just hope it’s not in Atlanta like Bobby, Morten and Joe Horn did us.
It is a risk you have to pay when you are developing players. When you have such a competitive team, you simply can't afford the totality of your roster. That's why it is key to identify the players that are crucial to sign for second or third contracts, and which good players you may replace with lesser contracts.

We all are eager to get the extensions of Williams, Armstead and Ramczyk. That will give us flexibility to sign our rookies and MAYBE bring a free agent or two.

You know who also knows we need that cap space? the agents. They know that their clients are in good position. Their new contracts will bring cap relief to the team. The agents get a little more strength in their negotiating position.

We are getting close to June, and I am sure Mickey would love to have space right now to go to the market. The agents know that, and therefore, they are not in a rush to take the first offer.

if winston works out they can backload his contract to ease the next couple years,,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom