Cap Space Question (1 Viewer)

VVextreme

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, it's been talked about a million times on here that we are like 30 to 40 million under the cap. And unless we go after Randy Moss, I don't see us shelling out that kind of money for any of the other FA's. However I could be wrong. I'm not sure how the cap works, but I'm guessing we'll have to use some of that in the draft....

1. How much does a team typically spend of their cap for players they draft each year? (Trying to figure out how much money do we had to spend on FA's.)
2. I'm guessing we also cut some people to keep the roster within league rules. I think it's what 53 man roster? So do their salaries count towards the cap? Or do we get that back?
3. And I'm assuming if Tom Benson doesn't spend the cap, then he just gets to pocket that money, so I'm thinking I know why the Saint's didn't sign anyone this year...

penny wise and pound foolish.

We have to spend some money because there is a cap floor.

1) it matters where you are drafting and what position a drafted player is playing, but draft pick ussually don't cost a lot of money ,except for early first round picks.

2) I think you do get a cap hit for the players you cut, but those players aren't making any money anyway, you aren't going to cut anyone makeing big money in Train Camp/Pre Season

3) We tend to stay a bit under the cap, I guess that leaves more money for Benson probally.

Ok, it's been talked about a million times on here that we are like 30 to 40 million under the cap. And unless we go after Randy Moss, I don't see us shelling out that kind of money for any of the other FA's. However I could be wrong. I'm not sure how the cap works, but I'm guessing we'll have to use some of that in the draft....

1. How much does a team typically spend of their cap for players they draft each year? (Trying to figure out how much money do we had to spend on FA's.)
2. I'm guessing we also cut some people to keep the roster within league rules. I think it's what 53 man roster? So do their salaries count towards the cap? Or do we get that back?
3. And I'm assuming if Tom Benson doesn't spend the cap, then he just gets to pocket that money, so I'm thinking I know why the Saint's didn't sign anyone this year...

penny wise and pound foolish.

We had a bunch of free agents this offseason, so I think our roster was to between 35-40 players actually under contract. I don't see us making any major cuts along the way because of that. In fact Benson does shell out money. The Saints have dished out quite a bit of signing bonus money the past several seasons. We will dish out a good deal of it with extensions for Colston, Smith, and Evans expected this offseason. Should Vilma pan out, we also have to plan to have enough money under the cap to resign him to a large extension next offseason. So the 30-40 million under is actually a lot less than that realistically. It's like getting your pay check. You have a nice fat check that looks nice but after you factor in your bills, it's much less. Plus we had to resign some of our own players, if for no other reason than depth.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom