Cap space will shape the team on 2021 (1 Viewer)

Ihartsaints

Very Banned
Reaction score
I don't like being the bearer of bad news but ...

Talk of finding a free agent or high draft QB is mostly a pipe dream. If as expected the NFL dramatically lowers the Cap number for 2021 we will lose a number of good players and have little left to replace them. Last year, teams were offering contracts assuming 2021 would see the cap grow from 198 Million to 215 million. Instead, it could drop to as low as 175 million.

According to OverTheCap.com, eight teams are already over a 2021 cap of $175 million with the players they have signed through next year, before they sign a single free agent next year or draft any rookies. That group includes the Eagles, Saints, Falcons, Chiefs, Steelers, Bears, Raiders, and Vikings.

1611115276073.png

Last edited:
Clearly shows the teams that are well managed not only financially but also talent wise. In a best case scenario your team drafts well, brings in quality free agents, is competitive on the field and stays below the cap ceiling.

Who the heck are we over paying to be in such a big hole lol

Not making a judgement on who is getting paid their value or is overpaid, but the highest paid are:

Peat: 11M
Sanders: 10M
Jenkins: 14M
Taysom: 16M
Davis: 10M
Thomas: 18M
Armstead: 16M
Jordan: 18M
Brees: 36M

9 players take up almost the entire cap next season. Expect a flurry of restructures and other cap shenanigans to try and keep a competitive team fielded.

Beat me to it and more informative
Not making a judgement on who is getting paid their value or is overpaid, but the highest paid are:

9 players take up almost the entire cap next season. Expect a flurry of restructures and other cap shenanigans to try and keep a competitive team fielded.

e

Even if the cap does not dip all the way to $175 million, the roster will look way different. We were all in on this season. Ireland would have been a critical loss in this situation. Let's see what Ireland and Loomis can do. I think we will still have a competitive team and could go over .500 with whoever stays and whoever we can acquire. Given that all teams will be in the same boat regarding the cap, hopefully players will be willing to take less or restructure for the future.

I guess we are about to "pay" for being SB or bust for the past few years. Someone posted that we're on the hook for 2 more years with Drew no matter what.

I guess we are about to "pay" for being SB or bust for the past few years. Someone posted that we're on the hook for 2 more years with Drew no matter what.
The OP is old numbers. Here is the latest. The Saints are over $96M over the $176M 2021 cap. Drew Brees accounts for $36M of that, considering he plays next season. If he retires, that cap hit will be $23M in dead money. Remember the "voidable" years on the contract? That was borrowing into the future to pay him and make the salary cap work in 2019 and 2020. We are looking at a major overhaul to get under the cap for next year. I really don't see how we keep players like Cam Jordan, Armstead, Sanders, Alexander, and Janoris Jenkins. Even if all of those players were released, it still doesn't get you anywhere near being under the cap.

Well, look at this way. Unless the NFL changes things, with the inevitable loss of some good players to FA, the Saints should get some good Comp picks for 2022 Draft.

For cap hits over 10M you also missed:

Lattimore: 10M
Alexander: 13M
Onyemata: 10M
Ramczyk: 11M

Loomis gonna be a busy man in the next few months.

Who the heck are we over paying to be in such a big hole lol

Loomis has been running the ship like Congress runs the country. By borrowing against the future.

It's time to pay the piper.

The NFL needs to rein in the more egregious creative accounting practices.

Don’t worry, be happy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom