Car Brake Turn Signal Question (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, this isn't the "do you use your turn signal" thread you might think was coming.

My wife was in a fender bender last month. She's ok, the car was mostly ok. Just some paint damage and a little denting. Long story short, it was the other guy's fault, his insurance agreed to take responsibility and paid for repairs.

We got the car repaired at one of their approved body shops. I picked up the car late last week, everything looked great, but I noticed they scratched the mirror. They took it back for half a day and fixed it and delivered it to me. This weekend, my wife and I were both driving and I was following her. I noticed her left rear turn signal (area of accident) wasn't flashing, but her brake lights came on (same bulb).

I'm going to call the shop to fix this too (really getting annoyed with this place).

However, if it's something simple I figured I'd ask here (I'm not a big DIY car guy though).

So, brake light works, turn signal doesn't, emergency flashers don't on that side (all the rest work fine).

The car is a Scion iM and is about 8 months old. Grounding? Man handing the socket?

Some brake bulbs have dual filaments. One is for brake and the other for turn signal.

Attachments

• img138-37-400.jpg
    img138-37-400.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 97
Some brake bulbs have dual filaments. One is for brake and the other for turn signal.

You think a bulb would fail after less than a year? Or that disassembly and reassembly would damage it easily?

So, brake light works, turn signal doesn't, emergency flashers don't on that side (all the rest work fine).

This usually indicates 2 things. You either have a bad ground at the bulb,or the multi function switch at the bottom of the turn signal
lever has gone bad.

You can test it with an inexpensive test light available at any parts store. Pull the bulb and attach the alligator clip of the light to ground
on the car body. Have someone step on the brake light with the key on. Hit the contact until the light comes on. Have the person release
the brake and then hit the turn signal. If the
light doesn't come on,the problem is the switch,and not the ground.

Bulb could fail if it was roughed up in the accident. Have changed those double filament taillight bulbs a few times on my truck, seems to be the only ones that go out.

Bulb could fail if it was roughed up in the accident. Have changed those double filament taillight bulbs a few times on my truck, seems to be the only ones that go out.

Yeah, I didn't pay attention to it in between the accident and the repair. But the sound it makes in the cabin is different and she only noticed it after the car came back.

Yeah, I didn't pay attention to it in between the accident and the repair. But the sound it makes in the cabin is different and she only noticed it after the car came back.

Car blinkers used to blink more rapidly when a bulb was out, I'm not sure if this is still the case. At any rate, I'd take the car back to the shop and let them fix it. Call ahead and find out when they can do it while you wait. The car should have been thoroughly road tested before it was released to you the first time

Funny, but boo.
It's not funny. I don't remember laughing. The bucket of steam was unnecessary too.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_-lFAduYgXs" allowfullscreen="" height="315" frameborder="0" width="560"></iframe>

Car blinkers used to blink more rapidly when a bulb was out, I'm not sure if this is still the case. At any rate, I'd take the car back to the shop and let them fix it. Call ahead and find out when they can do it while you wait. The car should have been thoroughly road tested before it was released to you the first time
I own a 2012 Ram pickup truck and it was blinking super fast when the blinker was out a few weeks ago.

I had a similar problem with an S-10 pickup forever and ever ago. I eventually figured out that the bulb socket had broken itself loose from the circuit board behind it. I would not be surprised if it was something like that, especially if the car got hit in that area.

I hate how so many collision shops don't think to look at all the other little things that can go wrong. I had one accident where I had to bring it back to them 5-6 times. They forgot to reconnect the TPMS, the radio wouldn't turn off with the ignition, the power mirror switch didn't work, the parking brake cable was left disconnected. They didn't even bother to check and see if anything was amiss. They just fixed the body damage and sent it on its way.

FWIW, if you hit the turn signal and it makes a fast click-click-click sound that typically means the relay and fuses are fine. I'd start with swapping the bulb from the other side and see what happens.

FWIW, if you hit the turn signal and it makes a fast click-click-click sound that typically means the relay and fuses are fine. I'd start with swapping the bulb from the other side and see what happens.
This is the answer. It will only take a few minutes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom