Car Dealerships- i just... (2 Viewers)

I made the mistake of going into a dealership blind and on a whim one time. My wife was looking for a car and we happened to be passing Eric Hill Nissan in The East. So, we went in to get an in person look at what cars Nissan had. So, we actually saw a car that my wife liked and looked at the sticker. So a salesman walks up and I saw so how much do you want for this car? He says, the number on the sticker. I laugh and say yeah, that's funny, but really how much will you take? He says, the price on the sticker. We just walked out at that point. I have never done that again.

Lol. When I browse cars at dealerships, I usually tell the sales guys to leave me alone and I keep on browsing. I generally like to be left alone until I'm actually ready to buy.

My mother in law walked out of 3 car dealerships once when she we buying a new car. the first thing my father in law told the sales guys was she is buying the car not me. talk to her and ask her the questions. the first 3 dealerships would ignore her mostly and talk directly to my FIL, even after being told multiple times. She has bought her last 3 vehicles from the same person since.

Lol. When I browse cars at dealerships, I usually tell the sales guys to leave me alone and I keep on browsing. I generally like to be left alone until I'm actually ready to buy.

Yeah, that's how I like to shop for anything. If I want help, I'll ask for it and I usually don't because I did my research ahead of time. This was a situation where my wife's car flooded and was totaled (the house too) , she was starting a new job, and the time we had on the free rental car from our insurance was about to run out so we had to buy a car quickly. But, I still should have known better than to go into a dealership blind.

Yeah, that's how I like to shop for anything. If I want help, I'll ask for it and I usually don't because I did my research ahead of time. This was a situation where my wife's car flooded and was totaled (the house too) , she was starting a new job, and the time we had on the free rental car from our insurance was about to run out so we had to buy a car quickly. But, I still should have known better than to go into a dealership blind.

and in a time crunch situation. We did that back in 2015- Tahoe was just done. 8 years old, on last leg. Roped into a Ford Expedition that lasted all of 17 months before repeating process ( transmission slipping )

My mother in law walked out of 3 car dealerships once when she we buying a new car. the first thing my father in law told the sales guys was she is buying the car not me. talk to her and ask her the questions. the first 3 dealerships would ignore her mostly and talk directly to my FIL, even after being told multiple times. She has bought her last 3 vehicles from the same person since.

Yeah, the first time I bought a car from Paretti Mazda in Metairie I went through their internet sales department and it was a really easy process. No fighting. No wasting my time and no trying to trick me. They gave me under the FMV price from Edmunds and KBB on the new car, gave me a solid price on the trade-in, and didn't mess with me on financing or the extended warranty. I have bought 3 more cars from them because the first experience was so good.

I've shared this before, years ago, but my first "adult life" car buying experience on my own, I knew, if I don't like how I'm being treated, leave.

I will say, I was a bit off on my understanding of how things worked, but I mostly knew the game, and I knew I qualified for the employee pricing deal.. we had a special through my company. I had a lease that was ending (and no interest in a new lease), and I had about a month or two to shop around.

I wanted a Mazda 6, sport, just wasn't sure if I wanted the Sedan or the Wagon. The Wagon interested me for the cargo space (I had leased a small pick up), and it had a $1000 bigger rebate than the sedan.

I go to the first Mazda Dealership (the one on Vets). The sales guy is older (like my Dad's age), nice enough, and I mention what I wanted to test drive (interested in wagon and sedan, so try both), and that I was gonna be a program buyer. He had a mazda 6 sedan ready to go, so we took that on a drive. Normal drive, nothing scary for him. haha. I liked it. I did, however, wanted to try out the sedan to see how different it felt, and the visability.

He tells me, "they drive the same", let's head into the office...

Stunned.. I followed, he showed me some numbers, I wasn't happy with them, and I said, thanks, and left. I was pretty checked out by that point, but I figured it would help me with the next place.. i.e. get more experience at the game.

I never went back.

Went to the west bank a few days later, test drove the wagon, found what I wanted, much more chill sales person, let me basically go wherever. My only issue is that I was ignorant about the finance person.. my mistake, which I've learned from.

Oh, and the one thing I really hate about South Florida... dealer fees. They all have them, and they're significant. Many also pre-bake in the "extras" as a "dealer enhancement" or whatever, like, it's already been added, so you're paying for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom