Car Dealerships- i just... (2 Viewers)

Wife wants QX 60. found one locally - went to test drive. Fantastic. So they take ours for a spin to get trade in value.

after 20 min, he sits down and says $9k. ( KBB anywhere between $10,200 and $12k ) Retail i see them go for low $15k to 19k ( same model/trim/mileage ) I looked at him directly and said thats insulting. I know they have to make $$$ but this was 3k below high end and 6-8k below retail.

We left and went to CarMax who just sent us trade in offer of $14k

thats a 5k differential. How in the world can these two be almost 50% different? Can someone please help me understand or is it simply the dealer was going to low ball me to make as much on the resale as possible? ?

Bad Salesperson or Dealer to be that much off. All Dealers use the Auction numbers to determine the cars value. There are different auction companies , but that is what is used to determine wholesale value. Typically the dealer will add $2500 to the wholesale price and what it cost to refurbish the vehicle if they are going to resell it. If they are not, they usually buy at auction value or close, then send it to auction.

KBB is not a good place to get used car values. Itcan be off high or low by thousands. KBB and other websites do not buy cars so they are using what is reported or projected by others. The only true way to know a cars value is to find out what someone will write you a check for.

keep in mind also if your new car dealer Was going to send your vehicle to auction and not resell it he could not pay you the same that another company would if they were going to keep the vehicle and resell it. That also has to be taken into account.

Bad Salesperson or Dealer to be that much off. All Dealers use the Auction numbers to determine the cars value. There are different auction companies , but that is what is used to determine wholesale value. Typically the dealer will add $2500 to the wholesale price and what it cost to refurbish the vehicle if they are going to resell it. If they are not, they usually buy at auction value or close, then send it to auction.

KBB is not a good place to get used car values. Itcan be off high or low by thousands. KBB and other websites do not buy cars so they are using what is reported or projected by others. The only true way to know a cars value is to find out what someone will write you a check for.

keep in mind also if your new car dealer Was going to send your vehicle to auction and not resell it he could not pay you the same that another company would if they were going to keep the vehicle and resell it. That also has to be taken into account.

and that may very well be the difference - CarMax will likely turn and sell it, whereas dealer was going to auction it off.

And if all dealers basically operate in the same manner, then you just saved me from ever stepping foot in a dealership again. lol

Then walk.

The key is that you have to really not 'need the car', and definitely not need it now.

They'll either play or they won't. But they are always in the long game. Customers are usually playing a short game.
100% agree. I have no issue walking out. I can always find something else and in this case I did.

That said....my wife kills me. She see's the car she wants and now it's me against the dealership AND her. Unfortunately for everyone involved I have the internet in my pocket and can see what the value of a car is. I'll keep it fair but I definitely come up with a number and that's my stopping point.....not a penny more. I don't haggle either....no going back to talk to the manager multiple times. Get him out and I'll deal with him instead. It's all tricks and games they play....I don't play them.

Yep. I used to put a lot of miles on a car for work and I always bought the extended warranty. It probably wasn't a great deal for me, but I like the security of knowing that if something goes wrong with my car the dealer will fix it with no charge to me.

Same here.

Each time ive bought from Carmax, ive also purchased the extended warranty.. i think it usually costs me an average of an additional $1200, tacked onto the monthly note, for an extra 3 years or 36k miles of coverage.. of course, that will vary based on how old and/or expensive the vehicle is.. i have had to use it , but not very often- whereas i know that if i *hadnt* purchased the extended warranty, i would have had a boatload of issues.. just the way it works.

LOL well Covington didnt have ANY to test drive. Place in Hammond had the exact model she wanted ( black w/ tan interior ) . So i went, reserved, thinking its a dealership and ll entertain. And mind you, had they offered me equal or a bit more on my current Acura, i probably would have pulled the trigger ( happy wife, happy life ) I wasnt looking to make top dollar, just keep my notes in range of current.

In the end, blessing in disguise.

Car Max had same unit, less mileage, in Kennabruh for? $1900 less than dealer in Hammond . I will reduce my note around $100/mo AND getting a 2 yr old suv.

On its way to northshore ( 2-4 days - and i offered to drive that thing myself to get quicker lol ) for test drive and if she likey, she getty.

I gots a kid abt to go to college. I need to be saving my kerns.

Why are you limiting yourself to the local NOLA area? The best feature of Carmax is their website, where you can do a filter for say 500 miles, and find EXACTLY what you want in say, Birmingham, or Memphis or god forbid Atlanta.. as mentioned above, i found my last one In Houston and flew out to drive it back, but they’ll ship to you from wherever.

Back in my day (2018)- there were no Carmax dealerships in Kennabrah, or in Covington.. we had to go to a foreign land called Baton Rouge to find the nearest Carmax.

dumbarse lost a sale/trade. Wereally shouldn’t be negotiating on cars much at this point with the amount of information that is readily available.
Not really. Just have to really stick it to 1 in 10 with profit margins like that to make a lot of money.

and that may very well be the difference - CarMax will likely turn and sell it, whereas dealer was going to auction it off.

And if all dealers basically operate in the same manner, then you just saved me from ever stepping foot in a dealership again. lol

CarMax is really picky about what they will resell (I worked there for a few months as a bridge job), they likely aren’t going to resell something a dealership wouldn’t.

CarMax is really picky about what they will resell (I worked there for a few months as a bridge job), they likely aren’t going to resell something a dealership wouldn’t.

Yeah, Carmax used to advertise (not sure if they still do) that only 3% of the vehicles they take as trade-ins wind up being sold by them.. the other 97% go to auction.

Incidentally, ive never heard the term ‘bridge job‘ before.. i have however, applied for , interviewed with, and taken jobs until somehting i liked better came along.. i guess that’s pretty much the same thing.

Incidentally, ive never heard the term ‘bridge job‘ before..

It is very likely I made the term up. I wanted out of Best Buy in Covington, so I took the CarMax job so I could scoot over to BR while I looked for a better job in IT. “Bridge” made sense in my head at least haha

Why are you limiting yourself to the local NOLA area? The best feature of Carmax is their website, where you can do a filter for say 500 miles, and find EXACTLY what you want in say, Birmingham, or Memphis or god forbid Atlanta.. as mentioned above, i found my last one In Houston and flew out to drive it back, but they’ll ship to you from wherever.

Back in my day (2018)- there were no Carmax dealerships in Kennabrah, or in Covington.. we had to go to a foreign land called Baton Rouge to find the nearest Carmax.

Dood, my current MDX came from BR Carmax.

It was a pretty spontaneous thing Saturday and when we checked the site, no 2019 ( color and style she wanted) we available within 500 miles. They had some on west coast but had 1500 txfer fee.
And she hadn't driven one to be sure ( it was between Atlas and Qx60 and her friend has Atlas so she drove that one)
And I wanted her to be certain because it seems she good for 3 years in a ride then starts to complain. So now I'm getting her exactly what she wants so 3 years from now I won't have to be subjected to the daily "I really hate my car". Lol

Maybe....is the one you're married too slightly crabby and really bossy and does not see the humor in you calling her karen even though you find it quite hilarious?

I enjoyed car shopping with my wife. She tends to just sit there while I go back and forth with the salesman. Usually, at some point the salesman looks at her and tries to get her to disagree with me and agree with him. She usually responds with "fork it, we are out of here." Then she gets up and walks out. I usually look at the salesman and say "And you thought I was the bad cop" and then follow her out of the door.

After doing this a few times, we started only negotiating by email or over the phone.

it seems she good for 3 years in a ride then starts to complain. So now I'm getting her exactly what she wants so 3 years from now I won't have to be subjected to the daily "I really hate my car".
It's cute you have such optimism.

Hint: it's not the car that wants to be replaced every 3 years...

Dood, my current MDX came from BR Carmax.

It was a pretty spontaneous thing Saturday and when we checked the site, no 2019 ( color and style she wanted) we available within 500 miles. They had some on west coast but had 1500 txfer fee.
And she hadn't driven one to be sure ( it was between Atlas and Qx60 and her friend has Atlas so she drove that one)
And I wanted her to be certain because it seems she good for 3 years in a ride then starts to complain. So now I'm getting her exactly what she wants so 3 years from now I won't have to be subjected to the daily "I really hate my car". Lol

I made the mistake of going into a dealership blind and on a whim one time. My wife was looking for a car and we happened to be passing Eric Hill Nissan in The East. So, we went in to get an in person look at what cars Nissan had. So, we actually saw a car that my wife liked and looked at the sticker. So a salesman walks up and I saw so how much do you want for this car? He says, the number on the sticker. I laugh and say yeah, that's funny, but really how much will you take? He says, the price on the sticker. We just walked out at that point. I have never done that again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom