Car insurance in Louisiana (1 Viewer)

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
I've been waiting 25 years for this issue to gain some traction. We pay some of the highest rates in the country, in no small part because we lead the nation in car accident lawsuits (One Call That's All!).

http://www.fox8live.com/2019/02/21/...BBjsWymmOd8Bd2HtF4qfnt1yr6WCrh4oG96qYL_tGgpzU

Factoring in population, the numbers are even more staggering. Lawyers in Oakland California filed 108 auto suits per 100,000 people. In Miami, it is 110 suits per 100,000 people, 169 in Austin, 234 in Houston and 275 in Dallas. New Orleans is the outlier with 853 auto suits per 100,000 people.

https://public.tableau.com/views/Au...:loadOrderID=1&:display_count=yes&publish=yes

The article suggests lowering the jury threshold as a possible solution. I think that's a good start but it's just the beginning.

Something's gotta give. We have two modest vehicles in Orleans. Because I need to carry certain elevated coverages due to work, we are at nearly $400 a month with very good driving records. It's beyond ridiculous.

It's also part of a cycle of inflation that doesn't seem to be slowing. There's a ton of people who just drive without insurance because it's expensive. Complicating the matter is the number of illegal aliens who drive without registration or insurance. It's just a bad situation.

In the meantime you can drive the elevated section of I-10 to see all those who are to blame. Their faces are plastered on the 15 billboards for all to see. It's shameless.

Something's gotta give. We have two modest vehicles in Orleans. Because I need to carry certain elevated coverages due to work, we are at nearly $400 a month with very good driving records. It's beyond ridiculous.

It's also part of a cycle of inflation that doesn't seem to be slowing. There's a ton of people who just drive without insurance because it's expensive. Complicating the matter is the number of illegal aliens who drive without registration or insurance. It's just a bad situation.

In the meantime you can drive the elevated section of I-10 to see all those who are to blame. Their faces are plastered on the 15 billboards for all to see. It's shameless.

Wow, I'm in the DC area and our insurance with full coverage on one newer vehicle and minimal coverage on a second older one and my bill was for under $400 for six months. $400/month would just kill me. :covri:

I added a 3rd vehicle and a teen driver last year. :cry:

I'm now paying $578/month with Geico after shopping around - my old carrier USAA was set to charge $700/month.

I'm now paying $578/month with Geico after shopping around - my old carrier USAA was set to charge $700/month.

I'm with Geico as well. Every so often I shop around but there's not much better out there and I know Geico is very easy to deal with in the event of a claim.

We have 4 vehicles on our insurance plan with one teenage/21 years old girl drivers and we are at $615 a month and that is the cheapest we can find. We are about to get rid of one though with her finishing college and hopefully joining the work force in the next few months

We have had grassroots effort regarding tort reform for over 2 years now.

As some may know, i am a commercial insurance agent. I have been ringing the alarm bell for over 18 months now. Unbeknownst to me, barking up the wrong tree. ( LDI - La dept of ins )

So without getting into too much client info, i worked up a price for a client who was awarded a contract to pick up garbage. He bought 3 units ( 1 a basic rear load and 2 front loader ( think dumpster ) in NW louisiana.

for 100/300/50 coverage- it was just under $69,000 a year. thats $23k per unit

that is economically prohibitive.

Now it just so happens this guy is politically connected. ( relatives at state govt level ) . I implored him to GET THEM INVOLVED. Let them know what you just received in way of auto pricing and understand its not limited just to Commercial auto.

I have a stack of proposals i have saved over the last 12 months that show these numbers for long haul trucking, dirt/sand haulers, delivery trucking, limo/party bus...

Yall have no idea how much these folks pay for insurance but i can assure you, it is astronomical. We had email in organization this am highlighting Lee's expose tonight at 10.

I met with the head Product Management of Progressive Comm auto 2 weeks ago
- they ran a "soft tissue injury " study since they are nationwide- Louisiana leads the study in soft tissue injury. Not by 5% - but by almost 15%.

Furthermore, on the commercial side, most, if not all contracts, have contractual requirements regarding insurance. It is now commonplace that the auto portion requirement is $1,000,000 combined single limit coverage.

10 years ago, it was $300,000.

So now, when someone is hit by a large truck, its safe to assume they are carrying $1,000,000 csl. And the attorneys know this.

endrant/

Yeah, when I moved to Texas my rate went down significantly. The rates there are ridiculous.

Almost the same here in DFW. I have full coverage on 3 cars with my 20 year old daughter on my plan (the amount of people driving here without insurance or valid registration is mind boggling) and USAA wanted damn near $800 per month. That was in 2011 when my then teenage son was on our insurance. I switched and went to Geico and I am paying $400 per month. Not great, but not too bad, considering.

For all the commercials about how USAA is sooooo great and takes care of their members, I find it to be utter crap. I currently have them for home owners insurance and I'm getting ready to switch to Geico for that as well. USAA refuses to replace my roof when there's water leaking into my attic. Geico has been so easy to deal with whenever I've needed to use them.

TORT REFORM is where it starts. The rest will fall in line because rates will decrease substantially.

But the Barts, McKernons, the Forstalls of this state will do everything they can to avoid tort reform.

I pay over $650/month for 4 cars with 2 teen drivers with Geico. That was a big savings from progressive which was a big savings from firemans fund who no longer writing auto.

My daughter had an accident last year and I didn’t even submit the claim and I paid for the other car repair out of pocket.

My other daughter had a fender bender and again, I paid out of pocket.
Both my daughters are driving around in dented up cars.

I feel like a sucker sometimes.

Last edited:
TORT REFORM is where it starts. The rest will fall in line because rates will decrease substantially.

But the Barts, McKernons, the Forstalls of this state will do everything they can to avoid tort reform.

Having a trial lawyer in the Governor's mansion is going to make it that much harder, I'm afraid.

I pay over $650/month for 4 cars with 2 teen drivers with Geico. That was a big savings from progressive which was a big savings from firemans fund who no longer writing auto.

My daughter had an accident last year and I didn’t even submit the claim and I paid for the other car repair out of pocket.

My other daughter had a fender bender and again, I paid out of pocket.

I feel like a sucker sometimes.

Not trying to be a downer, but folks have 364 days from date of occurrence to file suit. I hope you had them sign a lawyer drafted release.

we are all suckers in La. My oldest will get perm license this Sept. I am NOT ready for adding her to our policy, and will have to juggle higher limits vs premium that is affordable.

Having a trial lawyer in the Governor's mansion is going to make it that much harder, I'm afraid.

the appeal to him ( and state legislature ) is simple.

You are driving people and businesses OUT of LA into MS. TX and ARK.

So another client- 2 party busses- pays $23,000~ annual for $510CSL. He looked at moving to Bay St. Louis ( his operations ) - for $750,000 CSL and getting his DOT ( since he will cross state lines ) - $11,000 annual.

TWELVE THOUSAND LESS. For moving 40 miles.

I lose the account and the state loses a tax paying resident and business.

A few years ago we moved to Atlanta so I had to call Geico to transfer our insurance policies on our 2 vehicles from Louisiana to Georgia. When she told me the price I said something like, "are you serious!?! It's really THAT much!?! You're kidding!" I hadn't even realized the tone I had taken because I was so blown away. She customer service woman for Geico thought I was being belligerent which caused her tone to change. "Sir, this IS the new price. This is what you're going to be required to pay for Georgia, if..." As I start to apologize and explain my astonishment she was checking the difference between my old policies and the new. That's when I heard her say, "Oh!...oh, wow that's quite the difference."

My insurance for both cars was now about $50 lower...than what I was paying for ONE vehicle in New Orleans. Insane.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom