Car insurance in Louisiana (1 Viewer)

Not trying to be a downer, but folks have 364 days from date of occurrence to file suit. I hope you had them sign a lawyer drafted release.

we are all suckers in La. My oldest will get perm license this Sept. I am NOT ready for adding her to our policy, and will have to juggle higher limits vs premium that is affordable.
Dude. You’re bumming me out.

I didn’t have any sort of release signed.

I don't miss it. I have 3 vehicles with full coverage on all 3 in Arizona and I pay All State less than $250/month.

i doubt anything will come of it, but wanted to let you know this.

Once you pay out of pocket, you become the "insurer". so if anything were to arise later on, it will fall on you.

I get this question weekly from clients. Small little fender bender. To avoid rate increase, clients will ask if they can just pay the claim. Hard to tell them, because i know what they think, but it protects them personally ( or business ) from suit.

let the carrier deal with it. For future reference.

I hate to bum you out, but it happened to my many years ago. I dozed off while driving :covri: and sideswiped another car. We pulled over, exchanged information and I took photos of both vehicles with my phone. Sent them to my insurance company. The family in the other car was all ok...or so it seemed. Turns out they went to the hospital, filed a bogus claim for medical expenses, I don't even remember, like $1k. I told my insurance it was bogus, and their response was it wasn't worth dealing with and they just paid the claim.

In other words, just cover your butt and let the insurance deal with it. Better than dealing with a lawsuit later.

Yep, my daughter moved back to North Carolina in August 2018 and found out her car insurance for 6 months was half the cost for it per month. She cannot believe Louisiana Car Insurance Rates!! And Yes, She did not have coverage sometimes down there because she could not afford it. Rent, Food, gas and Electricity is what she could pay for. She was like, Oh well?!

After Katrina I had to move to Harrahan from New Orleans and my insurance went down considerably. I am in Jefferson now and a couple of months ago my insurance (Geico) went up again. I shopped around and found Progressive was about $360 less a year (same coverage). I called Geico to cancel my policy and they did some fast figuring and offered me the same policy at Progressive's rate. The CS person said that the State just let them offer lower rates to customers and they were just letting everyone know about it..I asked her "then why did you go up on my policy"? She did some fast talking and actually prorated my policy where I got a month and a half "free". So if I were some of you I would call them and see what they can do..

A few facts

We have the highest auto rates in the country.
New orleans is the highest in the state.

Lawsuits filed per 100,000-

Austin tx 169
Houston tx 234
Dallas tx. 273
New Orleans 853

Astounding!

Reason; as efil pointed out, we have 364 days to file suit. One of 3 states with that limit. The other 47 have 2-6 years.
So in the other states, negotiations out of court can go longer. In LA we have to sue asap

This needs to be changed asap.

A few facts

We have the highest auto rates in the country.
New orleans is the highest in the state.

Lawsuits filed per 100,000-

Austin tx 169
Houston tx 234
Dallas tx. 273
New Orleans 853

Astounding!

Reason; as efil pointed out, we have 364 days to file suit. One of 3 states with that limit. The other 47 have 2-6 years.
So in the other states, negotiations out of court can go longer. In LA we have to sue asap

This needs to be changed asap.

there is more to it. We are also a "direct action" state - meaning that when you "sue someone" you are really suing the insurer and not the person.

So when you are hit by an elderly lady that just made a mistake, you arent suing HER, you are suing HER CARRIER. feels better. Because if you were actually suing HER, chances are you arent looking to clean out her retirement account.

Also of note, we are bombarded daily with ads from attorneys showing awards for clients in the $100s of thousands, yet the person they get to portray the plantiff is an actor. Further, they superimpose a picture of a car with a busted headlight, and go on to say "so n so got me $300,000"

its misleading at best.

Dont get me wrong, there are certainly instances where an attorney is justified and im all for it. But this practice of filing suit to max out a 15,000 state mininum policy or $1,000,000csl has to end.

just did a quote for ONE dirt/sand hauler tractor -trailer. $48k annual for $1,000,00CSL. thats 4k a month just for insurance. He is moving his biz to Mississippi.

we get these daily.

Evidently they’re working on a bill to up the prescriptive period to 2 years.
We’ll need some consumer lobbying because the trial lawyers are going to be all over it

We’ll need some consumer lobbying because the trial lawyers are going to be all over it

They tried to pass a bill last year that would overturn the 'seat belt gag rule' that currently applies in Louisiana - if you are in a car accident and the other driver or passenger is not wearing a seat belt, you cannot introduce that fact into evidence at trial. The bill died in the legislature.

If you look at the governor's open secrets page, 80% of his top donors are lawyers. We definitely need a public groundswell because the Morris Barts of the world have the legislature and governor on lock down right now

They tried to pass a bill last year that would overturn the 'seat belt gag rule' that currently applies in Louisiana - if you are in a car accident and the other driver or passenger is not wearing a seat belt, you cannot introduce that fact into evidence at trial. The bill died in the legislature.

If you look at the governor's open secrets page, 80% of his top donors are lawyers. We definitely need a public groundswell because the Morris Barts of the world have the legislature and governor on lock down right now

This year's version of the bill and accompanying measures to reduce the jury threshold in Louisiana just got nuked in the Senate again.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...cle_dfb69846-7106-11e9-a60a-174c12b388d9.html

Notable quotes in the article are from 2 Senators who just happen to be personal injury lawyers - Sen Jay Luneau of Lafayette and Sen John Milkovich of Shreveport.

Same old same old

This year's version of the bill and accompanying measures to reduce the jury threshold in Louisiana just got nuked in the Senate again.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...cle_dfb69846-7106-11e9-a60a-174c12b388d9.html

Notable quotes in the article are from 2 Senators who just happen to be personal injury lawyers - Sen Jay Luneau of Lafayette and Sen John Milkovich of Shreveport.

Same old same old
Where a few years ago several insurance companies, now only two are doing business now.

its not just loggers either. We will continue the fight. But we are up against the likes of Milkovich and others who have ZERO intention of addressing this issue because it will remand them to being actual lawyers.

I just renewed a client....2 service vehicles. Last 3 years, paid just at $4700 annual total. His renewal? $8200 annual. NO CLAIMS. Thats an 80% increase in premium because our State legislators REFUSE to do ANYTHING to help the citizens/businesses of our State.

Its abhorrent.

Last edited:

that was installed to placate the trial ( and by trial i use that term looooosely) attorneys because the other parts of the bill would create a better insurance environment for carriers to begin writing again in LA.

Unfortunately, it wasnt enough.

So i will continue to explain to every client that calls, yelling at me that im part of the biggest scam, charade in the world, that the scam isnt insurance ( because where else can you pay 1/100 of your assets value and get full replacement if a total loss happens ), its the personal injury attorneys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom