Car insurance in Louisiana (2 Viewers)

Here’s my latest quote:
4 vehicles.
2 adult drivers
2- teens

Clean record.

300,000 bodily inj limit. $100,000 prop damge. All coverages including uninsured driver and accident forgiveness.

6 months : $3,108

When my wife got hit from behind (someone in front of her was turning and the car behind her never stopped), she ended up with a tear in her rotator cuff. the doctor wanted to try all other avenues, like physical therapy, before committing to surgery. It was September, so it was going to span over 2 different deductible years. we have a high deductible insurance, with a 5k out of pocket maximum. I tried to negotiate with the insurance company myself. told them if they would agree to a payment of 2 years worth of out of pocket expenses, then I would be happy. They would not agree to that. so I knew I only had one year to file, so come February I told them if they wouldn't agree by the end of the month I would get a lawyer. So I did. at that point I went after the maximum. After the lawyer got their cut, I ended up with 16k. Now, because of their hard ball tactics, they had to give up an extra 15k. I believe that is the one reason you have such a high lawsuit rate when it comes to automobile accidents. The Insurance companies try to low ball too many people and hope they just let it go.

As efil4stnias stated earlier in the thread there is an ongoing tort reform effort in Louisiana. One of the largest groups to champion this reform are Independent Insurance Agents and our association, Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of Louisiana (aka IIABL or Big "I"). The Big I has been instrumental in getting some Bills introduced into the current session and they are beginning to gain some traction. Now is the time to contact your local Legislators and let your voice be heard so that the Bills continue to gain momentum. We need to reinforce the voice of the people so that the Governor cannot veto the Bills and kill the reform once it reaches his desk. The Governor and Commissioner of Insurance are both up for re-election and both of them have really strong opposition that will be eager to pick up the cause if it falters in this current session.
This is your opportunity to allow the Governor to hear your message and the Commissioner of Insurance to feel the pressure that he needs to be more vocal on the matter.

Follow the link if you need help contacting your local Legislators.

https://action.lafreeenterprise.org/

Everyone in the State feels the pinch and is looking for change. My personal expenses
Home
Auto - 2 Vehicles, 3 Drivers (1 Teenager)
Personal Umbrella
~$12K Annual Premium
Located on the Northshore.

When my wife got hit from behind (someone in front of her was turning and the car behind her never stopped), she ended up with a tear in her rotator cuff. the doctor wanted to try all other avenues, like physical therapy, before committing to surgery. It was September, so it was going to span over 2 different deductible years. we have a high deductible insurance, with a 5k out of pocket maximum. I tried to negotiate with the insurance company myself. told them if they would agree to a payment of 2 years worth of out of pocket expenses, then I would be happy. They would not agree to that. so I knew I only had one year to file, so come February I told them if they wouldn't agree by the end of the month I would get a lawyer. So I did. at that point I went after the maximum. After the lawyer got their cut, I ended up with 16k. Now, because of their hard ball tactics, they had to give up an extra 15k. I believe that is the one reason you have such a high lawsuit rate when it comes to automobile accidents. The Insurance companies try to low ball too many people and hope they just let it go.

thats just simply wrong and i dont fault you for getting an attorney involved. If i was pressed to guess, it was either Allstate or State Farm that balked at the negotiations. But for every story such as yours, there are 10 that are fraudulent. And the carriers are jaded. Rightfully so.

And had you known that once surgery was the only option, the carrier STILL would have been on the hook for it, i wonder if you would have filed. Carriers will not "commit" to payment off a claimants word. They cant. But just like any insurance, supplemental claims apply. That would have been in your case.

did she have the surgery?

Here’s my latest quote:
4 vehicles.
2 adult drivers
2- teens

Clean record.

300,000 bodily inj limit. $100,000 prop damge. All coverages including uninsured driver and accident forgiveness.

6 months : $3,108

now get a quote in Mississippi.

Half that.

the problem? you carry $100,000/$300,000 limits. You want to protect yourself from suit, yet the higher you carry, the more someone will come after. Its a self contained circle jerk for lawyers who have gamed the system thru legislation.

10 years ago La min requirement was 10/20/10.....lawyers bucked up and got it to 15/30/25 ( they wanted more ).

Until we get direct action off the table and tort reform, those rates will simply continue to rise.

• 1Like
Reactions: You
So ... what happens if a car runs a red light and hits you in Texas, Arizona, California, etc. and you truly are injured. You can still sue for your medical expenses and all, or is there a lot more red tape because insurance carriers just can't pay out all that much?

I'm all for cheaper auto insurance in Louisiana. And it would be great if there was some way of weeding out the BS cash grabs and the "ow, my back!" stuff. But there has to be a downside to cheaper insurance, doesn't there?

So ... what happens if a car runs a red light and hits you in Texas, Arizona, California, etc. and you truly are injured. You can still sue for your medical expenses and all, or is there a lot more red tape because insurance carriers just can't pay out all that much?

I'm all for cheaper auto insurance in Louisiana. And it would be great if there was some way of weeding out the BS cash grabs and the "ow, my back!" stuff. But there has to be a downside to cheaper insurance, doesn't there?

im not sure i follow your question - what exactly are you asking - pick a state.

im not sure i follow your question - what exactly are you asking - pick a state.
Say Texas. You pay low car insurance rates, lawyers can't go after as much cash as they go after in Louisiana. OK.

So ... when the unthinkable happens to you in Texas ... a red-light runner T-bones you, you're in bad shape, you spend months in a hospital and have had several surgeries. In your situation, you NEED that big Morris-Bart-style payout from the at-fault drivers' insurance. But ... since everybody is paying low rates, can you get redress for all your medical bills and such?

IOW, if you're paying less into auto insurance, you necessarily have to get less out. Right?

Say Texas. You pay low car insurance rates, lawyers can't go after as much cash as they go after in Louisiana. OK.

So ... when the unthinkable happens to you in Texas ... a red-light runner T-bones you, you're in bad shape, you spend months in a hospital and have had several surgeries. In your situation, you NEED that big Morris-Bart-style payout from the at-fault drivers' insurance. But ... since everybody is paying low rates, can you get redress for all your medical bills and such?

IOW, if you're paying less into auto insurance, you necessarily have to get less out. Right?

ok simply put....Texas is hard to compare due to "law of large numbers" in that Texas has a population of 29mm. La has a population of 4mm. So it stands to reason that if 50% of Texans are insured, that is 14.5mm people paying into insurance company coffers. Respectively, that means only 2mm are doing so in LA. Texas law requires 30/60 car insurance whereas La is 15/30. So why are we having such issued in La with regards to insurers, rates and law suits.

Easy. Our the litigation atmosphere here is that much more conducive to litigation due to antiquated and not greatly defined laws. Specifically Direct Action and trial by jury.

So lets just use that as basis for discussion. That means basically, if Texans are paying on average of $1000/year- companies are getting 14B in premium. conversley, in LA at $1,000 annual they would get 2b. Thats a HUGE difference. Thats the Law of Large Numbers- insurers are able to "spread out risk" over a MUCH larger population than say in LA.

And if your claim exceeds the coverage limits, you always can sue the owner for restitution.

But its the law that allows the Morris Barts, the Dudley Debossiers or G Gordong Mckernon ( who spends abt $5,000,000 annually on ADVERTISING LOLOL $5 MILLION - think he knows something?) to pillage insurance companies coffers for meaningless claims, leaving those with actual damages, being treated like fraudulent claims because its just gotten out of hand ( see bigdaddysiants post above ). The good are paying for the bad. ( always it seems )

Nothing in the proposed bills would limit anyone's recovery if they have to sue after a car crash.

It would simply make it 1) easier to get a jury trial, 2) allow the court to decide if evidence of seatbelt use (or non-use) can come into evidence, and 3) make it 2 years before suit must be filed.

Number 3 seems apt when reading BDS's story.

The problem is that the system is infested with bogus claims. Our company has 2-3 company owned trucks in South LA. We've had 2 accidents in the last 12 months. Police came out to both, no injuries, minor damage all the way around. Everyone drove home.

Of course we've now gotten served with 2 lawsuits.

Not 2 lawsuits that were filed because our insurer wouldn't negotiate or pay a medical bill. Just 2 lawsuits filed 6 months later out of the blue. That's the SOP around here, and its terrible for residents, businesses, insurers, and basically anyone except Morris Bart et al

• 1Like
Reactions: You
Nothing in the proposed bills would limit anyone's recovery if they have to sue after a car crash.

It would simply make it 1) easier to get a jury trial, 2) allow the court to decide if evidence of seatbelt use (or non-use) can come into evidence, and 3) make it 2 years before suit must be filed.

Number 3 seems apt when reading BDS's story.

The problem is that the system is infested with bogus claims. Our company has 2-3 company owned trucks in South LA. We've had 2 accidents in the last 12 months. Police came out to both, no injuries, minor damage all the way around. Everyone drove home.

Of course we've now gotten served with 2 lawsuits.

Not 2 lawsuits that were filed because our insurer wouldn't negotiate or pay a medical bill. Just 2 lawsuits filed 6 months later out of the blue. That's the SOP around here, and its terrible for residents, businesses, insurers, and basically anyone except Morris Bart et al

and if you are with AmTrust for commercial auto, thats about to change. And hopefully you arent required by written contract to roll around S LA with $1,000,000 CSL.

thats just simply wrong and i dont fault you for getting an attorney involved. If i was pressed to guess, it was either Allstate or State Farm that balked at the negotiations. But for every story such as yours, there are 10 that are fraudulent. And the carriers are jaded. Rightfully so.

And had you known that once surgery was the only option, the carrier STILL would have been on the hook for it, i wonder if you would have filed. Carriers will not "commit" to payment off a claimants word. They cant. But just like any insurance, supplemental claims apply. That would have been in your case.

did she have the surgery?
she decided not to do the surgery. But she did go to Physical Therapy twice a week for about 4 months, then once a week for another couple.
The doctor said the tear was small, so she could do either. can't remember if he called it Rotor Cuff Tendinitis or Tendinosis or Tendinopathy, something with tendin in it..l
The therapy was $140 a pop because of my high deductible insurance, which I had to pay full price until we met the deductible, plus the missed time at work..
The ins co was Safeco, which is part of Liberty Mutual. They were quick on paying out for repair of the vehicle. But I did have to fight with them over the rental. We have a Nissan Rogue and they wanted to give us a Ford Fusion. We had a mid sized SUV, I wanted an equal while it was being repaired, not small car.

Last edited:
she decided not to do the surgery. But she did go to Physical Therapy twice a week for about 4 months, then once a week for another couple.
The doctor said the tear was small, so she could do either. can't remember if he called it Rotor Cuff Tendinitis or Tendinosis or Tendinopathy, something with tendin in it..l
The therapy was $140 a pop because of my high deductible insurance, which I had to pay full price until we met the deductible, plus the missed time at work..

ok so you told them surgery was on the table, yet it never materialized. So see, not to play devils advocate here, but merely mentioning that to them makes them think "oh lord..."surgery" here we go". So what happened is that you experienced just how jaded companies have gotten here in La.

One other item....when you go thru insurers, medical is allowed to bill at FULL RATES. So they cannot negotiate rates like a health insurer can. They pay those rates.

The bill was killed in the senate.
Here are the culprits
John Milkovich - shreveport
Danny “too many” Martiny - metairie
Ryan “not john” gatti - shreveport
Wesley “arch” bishop - nola
Jay Luneau - Alexandria
Rick Ward- port allen

Shocker:

Milkovich - injury lawyer
https://www.johnmilkovichlaw.com/
Ryan Gatti - injury lawyer
http://www.ryangatti.com/
Jay Luneau - injury lawyer
http://luneaulaw.com/
Rick Ward - injury lawyer
https://www.facebook.com/claytonfrugeward/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom