CAR OL Pass Blocking - oh my! (1 Viewer)

Jonboy

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just watched the 1st Q of the CAR vs NE game, and the CAR pass blocking was outstanding. Every pass, Cam had all the time in the world. Of course, he was like 2 of 9, but he had all day to throw.

kennydfresh

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I always said Cam Newton is the easiest QB in the league to defend. He can't complete accurate passes for his life. All you gotta do is play man and have a safety over top on Ginn Jr. and have your DE stay in there rush lanes with a speedy LB spying and force him to stay in the pocket and complete pin point passes and he can't do it. When he threw that pick in the last preseason game the CB was playing Man, threw it right to him.

Saints Master has spoken.............................

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I always said Cam Newton is the easiest QB in the league to defend. He can't complete accurate passes for his life. All you gotta do is play man and have a safety over top on Ginn Jr. and have your DE stay in there rush lanes with a speedy LB spying and force him to stay in the pocket and complete pin point passes and he can't do it. When he threw that pick in the last preseason game the CB was playing Man, threw it right to him.

Yeah, the MVP of the league last season of a 15-1 team that threw for 35 TDs and ran for another 10 is so easy to defend against. The Saints should hire you to coach them versus Carolina bro.

platinumvinnyv

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Didn't put first team start off good vs NE Ingram fumbled. I don't think NE pass rush specially with injuries been that special. Our offence with grayson made them look alot better

BillA

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

I dislike Newton with a passion. The Panthers have surpassed ATL as my most hated team. But the truth is that he had abt five passes dropped.

platinumvinnyv

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

Yeah, the MVP of the league last season of a 15-1 team that threw for 35 TDs and ran for another 10 is so easy to defend against. The Saints should hire you to coach them versus Carolina bro.
I have nothing against cam. I know he get flack for his antics but they don't bother cause when he play the saints we let em know. Mauti and lofton. But I think ths post really undermines their defense. Because cam 1 stroke of magic per game was caused because how often their d kept them in the game. Cam should've won the super bowl with a defense of that caliber

SaintsJunkie

BREES HOF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I don't worry about the panthers as long as they have him, the defense might have some holes without norman too, but our OL and DL might still get bottom of this division

champ76

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I dislike Newton with a passion. The Panthers have surpassed ATL as my most hated team. But the truth is that he had abt five passes dropped.
He was awful though. Like the OP said, he had all day but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I was shocked. NE rushed 3 or 4 and dropped everyone in coverage while maintaining containment. He looked lost. He was played well into the third quarter in an attempt to get him going but he never did.

The receivers who dropped passes were probably surprised the ball was on target.

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Before last season, when they went 15-1, everyone said that their OLine was hottt garbage. I thought that as well, but they managed to play very well. That's why we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss our OLine, until we actually see them play for real. It's fine to have some concerns, but don't get near the ledge just yet

obwhiteo

Proudly wearing my dress!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Dude they went like 15-1 last year with garbage receivers. If you think he's the easiest QB in the league to defend we obviously are watching different games. But sure he's much easier to defend than Tyler Seiman or Blake Bortles.

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Belichick is one crafty beast, probably intentionally ran things that way to evaluate his DB's in coverage, tackling ability, etc.

Brees2Graham4Six!

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Are all the reasonable fans in hiding somewhere???

This is a preseason game! People are treating this 3rd preseason game like it is a season summary for the upcoming year.

Anyone saying Cam Newton isn't a top QB way overvalues passing yards and completion %.

1) Cam's ability as a runner slows down pass rushers so much. The offensive line isn't as good as it looks, the pass rushers are just holding back so they don't lose contain. This allows the Cam to make up for average at best pass protection (see SB how "good" the OT's are when pass rushers are confident in their LBs and secondary).

2) Decreased pass rush with out of pocket ability allows receivers to get open. Zones break down with time and the speed of guys like Ginn allow them to get open with time against man coverage even if they aren't nuanced route runners.

3) The threat of his running and the focus he mandates opens running lanes. You can't crash on Stewart because you gotta be careful against Cam

4) He is great in the redzone, a hugely important stat for separating the high yardage offenses from the high scoring offenses

Cam helps make everyone around him better in completely different ways than the star pocket QBs most are accustomed too. He ran a more successful offense than we did with less overall offensive talent than Brees had. While a Cam led offense might never be the pinnacle of efficiency as he misses some key 3rd down throws and has some awful ints. He has an uncanny ability to score points with a low overall offensive talent level around him.

Additionally Cam's value as a red zone dynamo adds to the Panthers offensive efficiency. Yeah he misses a number of passes but the Panthers built he can carry an offense

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)