Cardell Hayes manslaughter conviction of Will Smith overturned by Supreme Court (1 Viewer)

So your friend was in the car with Cordell Hayes?
No way! There was another car with Will Smith. From what I heard they instigated allot of this. It’s 2 twins that always had the reputation for starting trouble. Sucks

I thought Cardell's car was the one behind Will's?

"Hayes was sentenced to 25 years on the manslaughter count and 15 years on the attempted manslaughter count, with the terms to run concurrently. He could have received 40 years on the first and an additional 20 on the second."

Now, he's already served almost 5 years on this 25 concurrent. Certainly any plea the DA might entertain wouldn't allow for 5 years being time served, will it? THAT would not be justice. Oh, there is nothing uncomplicated about this case.

twins I knew growing up were the ones that was in the car I guess following him. You know how things get in NOLA when trying to follow someone.

False, if a person wants to really commit suicide they will find a way if a gun is not available. 16 years in law enforcement has taught me that. Ever heard of suicide by cop? If someone is truly done with life there are unfortunately hundreds of ways they can end it without a gun. That's just a fact. Pills are just as quick and available and painless unfortunately.
Your argument about gun laws does not hold water either sorry. Strict gun laws will not keep guns out of the hands of people who do not need to have them(mentally unstable) or criminals who wish to commit crimes with them. They will either just steal them which happens more often than not or will find other ways to get them. But you keep drinking that kool aid they spoon feed you. It might work fine where you live but this isn't Australia so stop trying to compare because this is America, not Japan either or any other country you want to throw out there.
What does the Will Smith case have to do with suicide?

No way! There was another car with Will Smith. From what I heard they instigated allot of this. It’s 2 twins that always had the reputation for starting trouble. Sucks

The other car with Will Smith we're familiar with was Pierre Thomas' car. You say there was a third car in his party?

Can people please move the political discussion to somewhere else? I'm more interested in what is going to happen to Hayes going forward. Will he be re-tried or re-convicted for this? I'm not sure what kind of precedence this sets.

It's a mistrial. So the prosecution can try it again if they want to.

She was laying down on a wooden bench, at the end of a grand, marble hallway inside the Orleans Parish Courthouse. The mood outside Courtroom 8 was already tense, as it tends to be when a jury has a murder case, when the fates of one defendant and two families and, in this case, two communities that share the same city, hang in the balance.

It was a dark and stormy night ...

Good God, can we just get an article with the facts? Why does it seem like every journalist is writing like they're trying to win a Pulitzer?
Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How. In the first paragraph, please!

The nola.com article quoted the prosecutor from even before the Court vacated the verdict in saying that he thought Hayes would get a new trial based on the Ramos ruling in April.
you know i don't read. thank you for the clarification.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom