Cardell Hayes manslaughter conviction of Will Smith overturned by Supreme Court (2 Viewers)

One's a city. One's a continent.
i concur

to be honest, australia is fairly lax on rural gun ownership (at least rifles etc.). i don't remember the laws on firearms in general, but australia as a whole, doesn't have nearly the issues of gun violence chicago does. in fact, you very rarely see "gun" related crimes in aussie land.

this comes from a usa and australian citizen (dual).

Nah, this is a fake argument by people who don't want real change. We've got restrictive gun laws in Australia and haven't had a school shooting in....ever? And we've hardly had any mass shootings (defined as 3+ victims) since 1996. There's ample evidence available to show the benefit of restrictive laws. The "but the criminals won't abide by them" argument is a nonsense, respectfully.
Those restrictive drug laws are working so great for us here in America right? Lol

Someone will have to explain this one to me, because I'm lost.

In 2016, Cardell Hayes was convicted of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of retired New Orleans Saints defensive leader Will Smith. Monday, the U.S. Supreme ...
25 year prison sentences are for felons who are a danger to the community. This guy isn't. He is never going to make the mistake of following someone who bumps into him ever again. 5 years is plenty given Will Smith's role in his death...sadly he doesn't get to learn from his mistake...

Thought you couldn't be tried for the same crime twice?

you can't be tried for the same crime twice (Double Jeopardy) if you are convicted or found guilty. A hung jury or a vacated conviction is different, because their technically has been no resolution to the case, its still open on the original charge.

25 year prison sentences are for felons who are a danger to the community. This guy isn't. He is never going to make the mistake of following someone who bumps into him ever again. 5 years is plenty given Will Smith's role in his death...sadly he doesn't get to learn from his mistake...

I've seen people in New Orleans get anywhere from a 6 to a 12 years sentence for manslaughter and they only serve half of that . I wouldn't expect for the DA to pursue another trial in this case. Additionally, there is no way he gets a fair trial in New Orleans.

So two guys have guns in their cars. The guy who didn't get out with a gun gets killed. The one who did get out with a gun gets 5 years.

So two guys have guns in their cars. The guy who didn't get out with a gun gets killed. The one who did get out with a gun gets 5 years.
Is he a threat to society? Can he do, will he do good for the community if his sentence was converted to 25 years community service, whatever that might be? This would afford him the opportunity to raise his child into being a positive contributor to the community, preventing this child from growing up resentful and becoming part of the problem. This would afford him the ability to speak on the subject of being a responsible gun owner, to make amends for making a bad decision.

Intent to kill wasn't there, a bad decision led to him having to defend himself...Will Smith certainly could have made better decisions as well.

Will Smith could have handled things differently and de-escalated the situation and nobody dies.

Is he a threat to society? Can he do, will he do good for the community if his sentence was converted to 25 years community service, whatever that might be? This would afford him the opportunity to raise his child into being a positive contributor to the community, preventing this child from growing up resentful and becoming part of the problem. This would afford him the ability to speak on the subject of being a responsible gun owner, to make amends for making a bad decision.

Intent to kill wasn't there, a bad decision led to him having to defend himself...Will Smith certainly could have made better decisions as well.

You shoot someone 8 times, 7 in the back, the intent to kill was definitely there..

There are exceptions, but they rarely take away liberties. I will admit a few amendments are a punching bag for them but outside of the 4th, most of the criminal justice amendments / original text are pretty well upheld.

Prior to the 50s, yeah... there are a lot of ugly rulings. But since then it's been fair.
Plessy v. Ferguson, which was the preeminent SCOTUS case based around a biracial street car passenger who refused to give up his seat in New Orleans to protest La. segregated seating regulation law, was taken to the Supreme Court and who upheld "separate but equal" clause which was derived from a narrowing interpretation of the 13th and 14th Amendments. This landmark legal decision, affirmed many Southern states already pre-existing laws enacted during Reconstruction to limit the freedoms, like right to vote, right to assembly, in certain cases, some forms of freedom of speech and grandfather clause exemptions and Plessy/Ferguson also set the template for state-sanctioned segregation laws in all facets of public sphere for the next 100 years, until it was legally thrown out and delegitimized by Brown vs Board of Education and began to be politically or federally enforced in late 1950's/early-mid 1960's increasingly.

Then there was the Dred Scott decision

The SCOTUS upholding a California state law, affirmed and signed off by future liberal SCOTUS chief Earl Warren, then California state AG, deporting many loyal Japanese-Americans living in West Coast due to bigoted and racist-paranoia that Japanese military intelligence used its Magik coding intelligence from sympathetic Japanese Americans in any possible West Coast invasion scenario into LA, SF, or in the PNW states or even into Alaska or the Aleutians, which was the scene of quite a few notable, bloody cold conflicts where a combined US-Canadian ground forces successfully managed to drive out the Japanese military incursions by January 1943. These deportations order resetting thousands of loyal Japanese-Americans and Japanese-Canadians into camps shortly after Pearl Harbor, IMHO, are some of the worst, most egregious, horrific miscarriages of justice that was considered and then allowed to be perpetuated in American history and considering our historical treatment of racial and indigenous minorities as well as their legal and philosophical justifications or assents, that's an extremely high barrier to cross.

I've seen people in New Orleans get anywhere from a 6 to a 12 years sentence for manslaughter and they only serve half of that . I wouldn't expect for the DA to pursue another trial in this case. Additionally, there is no way he gets a fair trial in New Orleans.

Its going to be a mess for sure. Not to get too political here but Jason Williams basically needs a hail mary in his federal case and there is a good chance he will removed from office down the road. It's nearly impossible to beat the feds and from what I've heard, the case against him is pretty harrowing. If removed from office, this will have implications on this case.

No way! There was another car with Will Smith. From what I heard they instigated allot of this. It’s 2 twins that always had the reputation for starting trouble. Sucks
Well you said your friend was in the car behind Will Smith, Cordell Hayes jumped out of the car behind Will Smith’s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom