Cardell Hayes to receive new trial in Will Smith murder case (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't say it's many. But rare is still too many.

I'm not sure who said the following, but I agree 100%. It's better if 10 guilty men walk free than a innocent man spend one day in jail.

There are way too many innocent people who are executed to be in favor of something so uncivilized as death-as-punishment. We don’t live in a world where only guilty people are punished
I used to think this almost never happened. You know, if you're close enough to the situation to get blamed, you must have had SOMETHING to do with it. Well, no longer. Eyewitness testimony? Most often flawed if not an outright fail .. or, worse yet, done deliberately because of revenge. Bad [stupid] police work.

Oftentimes new things come with pros and cons (technology and social media), but it's hard to come up with a con to DNA. It can -- but not always -- unequivocally acquit the innocent. The Innocence Project is a great thing.

One thing I was never clear on, did Cardell realize it was Will Smith?

So is killing them.

Yes I agree, I hope it didn't seem like I was arguing for that. I typed more stuff but decided against posting it as I didn't have the stats to back it up.

I've been doing a lot of reflecting on the Constitution lately and the main goal of our government is to protect Life and Liberty. Obviously, I know that at some point people can earn their way out of rights, but the system should be more about helping people to restore those rights and their place in society than forever taking them away. If people have no hope, what's their motivation to then do the right thing?

One thing I was never clear on, did Cardell realize it was Will Smith?

I don't think that matters, but I don't remember that being answered. He was the one who absolutely caused the conflict to escalate to a deadly level. I feel like his attorney tried to raise some doubt in that regard, but Hayes' own testimony was so far out of line with the story his attorney was painting that it should have been a slam dunk conviction.

I don't think that matters, but I don't remember that being answered. He was the one who absolutely caused the conflict to escalate to a deadly level. I feel like his attorney tried to raise some doubt in that regard, but Hayes' own testimony was so far out of line with the story his attorney was painting that it should have been a slam dunk conviction.

IIRC, he found out who it was after he killed him and was quite distraught about it. That's how I remember it.

After hearing his testimony and following the case quite a bit, I couldn't help but think that Hayes willfully and deliberately took the life of Will Smith and shot to maim his wife. I think he deserved a murder charge. But that's just me.

No, it doesn't matter but you must know where my mind is going with that question. It's asinine to escalate a situation like that, period. But add that it's a sports figure in the town where he is popular? Man, you are too stupid to breathe. I'm guessing Will's BAC was brought up against him which, if Cardell hadn't killed him, I'm sure Smith would have been charged and the story would have been SO much different. Such a tragedy

IIRC, he found out who it was after he killed him and was quite distraught about it. That's how I remember it.
Ah. Was just curious how that realization all went down because I don't remember reading about that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom