Carl Granderson sentenced to 6 months (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean he will be on trial next week?how can he be ordered to six months of jail if the agreement was rejected?
It's a matter of state law, but in general sentencing is left to the court. The prosecution and defense can reach an agreement on regarding what the defendant will plea (i.e., guilty) and what charges will be brought (e.g., battery, but not a more serious charge). The deal can make a recommendation as to sentencing, but the judge is not bound by it. Typically (though it may vary by state) a judge will explain this to a defendant before the plea is entered. Basically the judge will say something along the lines of "you understand that while you are pleading guilty and the prosecution is recommending sentence X, I am not bound to impose sentence X and can, in fact, impose a greater sentence."

As a general matter, it is rare for a judge to do this, the criminal justice system depends on pleas deals being reached and entered without much fanfare. If a judge frequently rejects the terms of the plea deal, defendants before that judge stop entering pleas and the judge's docket can be overrun. Then again, this may have been a high profile case in Wyoming and the judge felt the need to be seen as tough on crime in order to bolster re-election chances.

Agreed. I take sexual assault really seriously but this seems pretty low on the scale for me. You're at his house and in his bed. No, that doesn't give him the right to do what he wants but its pretty easy to misinterpret signals in that situation. It appears that he made an attempt and took the hint when it was clear they weren't interested. Pants stuff is definitely crossing a line but I really hope this kid doesn't get labelled "Sexual Predator" over something like this.
I read the article on the home or news page about this (might be the same as the OP...not sure, didn't read that one) and the plea bargain that got rejected seemed reasonable to me as long as he doesn't have priors for the same kind of thing. I mean, the DA did agree to it and the judge threw it out. Seems like he's maybe trying to make a point about football players and sex crimes with this.

This smells like the Mike Tyson fiasco.
Why is she staying at his place, in his bed with no intention of promiscuity?

It read like something I would of tried in highschool and when the girl denied me I took the hint and would go to sleep...hell, it reads like when my wife denies me in bed because she not in the mood....wow...times really have changed...you go to jail for shooting your shot with a woman who's in the bed with you...I thought it was more some type of forceful aggressive behavior...again...IT READS like he was checking the temperature of the woman and they shut him down.

I'll sure be glad once we can mass produce inexpensive, ultra-realistic, supermodel sex robots and can put an end to all these heinous crimes of unwanted touching while sleeping over.

This sounds nowhere near as bad as Jameis Winston and the Uber driver.

For those wondering what exactly he did, here's the redacted police report's account of the charges:

According to the affidavit, the victims went to university police with a sexual assault complaint on the morning of Nov. 26, alleging Granderson had “touched them sexually, without their permission, while they were sleeping” after watching a movie at Granderson’s off-campus apartment the night before.

Victim 2 said she was awakened in the bed where all three of them were sleeping when Granderson touched her right breast with his left hand. She said Granderson did this three times, and each time she moved his arm and hand away from her body, according to the affidavit, before moving closer toward Victim 1 to try to create more distance between herself and Granderson.
According to the affidavit, Granderson reached over to pull her back toward him, and she felt his genitals against her body. The victim told investigators after she felt his hand in her pants, she sat up, moved toward the opposite side of the bed and complained of the heat in the room, at which point Granderson removed his hand, rolled over and turned on a fan, according to the affidavit.

Victim 1 also alleged she woke up when she felt Granderson’s hand “touching her buttocks,” according to the affidavit, and that she knew it was Granderson’s hand because it was much larger than Victim 2’s hands. The woman told police Granderson touched her genitals, prompting her to roll over onto her belly, which caused his hand to come out of her pants. She also recalled Victim 2 sitting up in bed at one point that morning and making a comment about how hot it was in the room, according to the affidavit.
Wow, 6 months is a harsh punishment for touching a woman that's in one's bed! Things are getting crazy if this is now considered a crime worthy of 6 months! I wouldn't immediately go for genitals with a woman in my bed, but it isn't that outrageous that the cues might've been there, and she changed her mind. At most this should've been a misdemeanor with a fine. I feel very sorry for Granderson, because I don't think either of these women were physically nor emotionally harmed, yet this could ruin Granderson's life, and it sounds like nothing but a horny and uncouth teenager.

What's up with the fan reactions like this dude was an anchor piece of the defense.
Isn't this his rookie year and he was undrafted?

Didn't we sign Mario Edwards and Wes Horton in the off season?
We still have Hendrickson.

I mean, it sucks losing anyone right before camp, but this dude would have been a long shot anyways right?
/Endthread

I think Porter Gustin was ahead of Granderson in any case. Tough one though with SP basically saying the Saints were satisfied with the situation. (ouch)

Wow, 6 months is a harsh punishment for touching a woman that's in one's bed! Things are getting crazy if this is now considered a crime worthy of 6 months! I wouldn't immediately go for genitals with a woman in my bed, but it isn't that outrageous that the cues might've been there, and she changed her mind. At most this should've been a misdemeanor with a fine. I feel very sorry for Granderson, because I don't think either of these women were physically nor emotionally harmed, yet this could ruin Granderson's life, and it sounds like nothing but a horny and uncouth teenager.
A person can't give consent while they are asleep and she pushed his hand away twice after she woke up, so the punishment doesn't seem so outrageous to me. Would you think the same way if this were two guys sleeping in the same bed and one guy fondled the other's genitals while he was asleep and the fondler kept trying to fondle the person even after his hand was pushed away twice?

This is a sad day for the young men of America. This judge is obviously biased in some way. She... yes She wants to make an example of a young athlete who did nothing illegal under the circumstances. But in that environment, was injustly made to accept a sentance not comensurate with the facts of the case. men everywhere shold stand up and shout about this injustice. it could be your son next.

A person can't give consent while they are asleep, so the punishment doesn't seem so outrageous to me. Would you think the same way if this were two guys sleeping in the same bed and one guy fondled the other's genitals while he was asleep?
If that man was in my bed I would tend to assume certain liberties until it was clearly understood otherwise. the expectation is that if you are in my bed then there is at least the essence of accepting advances. when those advances were rejected they stopped. if you were outraged at those advances wouldnt you have made it known in no uncertain terms tnat you did not want or expect those advances. this is not ok! I have a daughter and i tell her that if you put yourself in certain situations be ready to recieve a certain reaction. Then be prepared to make your position known. this is a sad day. what did the girls expect? was this a set up? something is not right with this. this young man is guilty of nothing moe than acting on confusing signals. Something any man will tell you he has experienced. if a consenting adult woman stays the night at my house, scantly dressed , and in my bed.. and does not expect me to try to seduce her. then she should have left, slept on the couch, in the bath tub or on the floor. I would have gotten that message clearly.

A person can't give consent while they are asleep and she pushed his hand away twice after she woke up, so the punishment doesn't seem so outrageous to me. Would you think the same way if this were two guys sleeping in the same bed and one guy fondled the other's genitals while he was asleep and the fondler kept trying to fondle the person even after his hand was pushed away twice?
Maybe they were upset they didn't get a participation trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom