Carney, Hartley and Week 6 (3 Viewers)

But NOT because of a break down on the line...But because Carney didn't put enough HEIGHT on the ball...Line driving the ball just like his weak kick offs....Gramatica had the same thing happen to him against Minesota because he was incapable (no leg) like CARNEY which was returned for a TD or do you not remember that guy...Carney has had soooo many kicks blocked because of not enough height I wanna puke...kicking from beyond the 40 with Carney is dangerous because you will give up that field position....Carney is DONE...

Garrett, is that you?

We cut Carney and the voodoo comes back on us.
I say keep him even if it means I have to roll him out there in a wheelchair.
I'm not kiddin' around.

I remember the great George Blanda, but I don't recall seeing the Lou Grozas and the Jerry Kramers of the world place kick.

I actually thought Hungarian Pete Gogolak was the first to kick soccer style for the Bills in the AFL and then the NY Giants.

The world was a better place when kickers wore the single crossbar facemask!

I forgot about Blanda. He was around until at least 1975. Stenerud was another of the early soccer-style kickers. I guess Mark Mosley was the last of the straight-on kickers? Can't remember any that came after him.

On a side note, remember the game in against Green Bay when Tony Galbreath kicked extra points and field goals? Maybe that's not such a good idea, because the team got spanked in the 2nd half. Wes Chandler was the emergency punter if I remember it correctly. Special teams coach that year had to put up with "you know who" and then he (I still can't type his name) gets hurt in the 2nd game, and the team is in a real bind against the Packers.

I forgot about Blanda. He was around until at least 1975. Stenerud was another of the early soccer-style kickers. I guess Mark Mosley was the last of the straight-on kickers? Can't remember any that came after him.

On a side note, remember the game in against Green Bay when Tony Galbreath kicked extra points and field goals? Maybe that's not such a good idea, because the team got spanked in the 2nd half. Wes Chandler was the emergency punter if I remember it correctly. Special teams coach that year had to put up with "you know who" and then he (I still can't type his name) gets hurt in the 2nd game, and the team is in a real bind against the Packers.

This has turned to old timer kicker talk, but I'm good with that! That was one of my favorite games as a kid. I wanted us to finish the year with Galbreath and Chandler handling the kicking duties.

But NOT because of a break down on the line...But because Carney didn't put enough HEIGHT on the ball...Line driving the ball just like his weak kick offs....Gramatica had the same thing happen to him against Minesota because he was incapable (no leg) like CARNEY which was returned for a TD or do you not remember that guy...Carney has had soooo many kicks blocked because of not enough height I wanna puke...kicking from beyond the 40 with Carney is dangerous because you will give up that field position....Carney is DONE...

John Carney

19 blocked career (24 seasons) (2 blocked in 07-08 seasons)
82.5 career FG % (07-08 seasons 96.05%)
20-29 yds 96.8 career % (07-08 seasons 100% (17 attempts))
30-39 yds 86.3 career % (07-08 seasons 96.65% (17 attempts))
40-49 yds 68.4 career % (07-08 seasons 85.7% (7 attempts))
50+ yds 60.0 career % (07-08 seasons 100% (1 attempt))
----------------------------------------------

And by contrast...

Morten Andersen

12 blocked career (25 seasons) (2 blocked in 06-07 seasons)
79.7 career FG% (06-07 seasons 88.15%)
20-29 yds 98.3 career % (06-07 seasons 93.75% (17 attempts))
30-39 yds 89.0 career % (06-07 seasons 100% (18 attempts))
40-49 yds 69.5 career % (06-07 seasons 72.3% (15 attempts))
50+ yds 60.0 career % (06-07 seasons 0% (no kicks in this range))

I'd say percentage-wise he's not doing so bad as to make anyone sick. Unless someone just 'feels' like being sick. Or they're a cousin of Hartley......

Well, Hartley is the guy to make the long field goals. So far, a field goal would not make a difference with two blowouts. I think they will have to consider Hartley, but only if Carney misses a critical field goal. costing them a win. They seemed to lose their mojo after they cut Carney. Now it seems like the mojo is back, why rock the boat? I am truly happy to have Carney back.

Guys the FG against Detroit was blocked because Hargrove was on the O-line and got smashed over. Once he wa sreplaced, Carney hasnt had a problem.

I mean can SP cut Carney again and be burnt by it? He has already mentioned that the first time was a mistake.

I think they keep both guys until Hartley can prove, one way or the other, that he has SPs full confidence.

John Carney

19 blocked career (24 seasons) (2 blocked in 07-08 seasons)
82.5 career FG % (07-08 seasons 96.05%)
20-29 yds 96.8 career % (07-08 seasons 100% (17 attempts))
30-39 yds 86.3 career % (07-08 seasons 96.65% (17 attempts))
40-49 yds 68.4 career % (07-08 seasons 85.7% (7 attempts))
50+ yds 60.0 career % (07-08 seasons 100% (1 attempt))
----------------------------------------------

And by contrast...

Morten Andersen

12 blocked career (25 seasons) (2 blocked in 06-07 seasons)
79.7 career FG% (06-07 seasons 88.15%)
20-29 yds 98.3 career % (06-07 seasons 93.75% (17 attempts))
30-39 yds 89.0 career % (06-07 seasons 100% (18 attempts))
40-49 yds 69.5 career % (06-07 seasons 72.3% (15 attempts))
50+ yds 60.0 career % (06-07 seasons 0% (no kicks in this range))

I'd say percentage-wise he's not doing so bad as to make anyone sick. Unless someone just 'feels' like being sick. Or they're a cousin of Hartley......

Yeah and what those numbers don't tell you is that we used Billy Cundiff on long field goals in 06-07 because Carney didn't have the leg...Or we didn't bother trying the field goal because we didn't want to give up the field position so we punted instead....Carney is NOT the answer...

Yeah and what those numbers don't tell you is that we used Billy Cundiff on long field goals in 06-07 because Carney didn't have the leg...Or we didn't bother trying the field goal because we didn't want to give up the field position so we punted instead....Carney is NOT the answer...

Well, in 07 he played for Jacksonville so I guess I'll give you that one. He definitely didn't kick any long ones for us that year. And in 06 he was 5-6 on 40-49 yarders, and 1 for 1 over 50. So maybe we didn't lean on him for the "big kicks" which is fine because we had someone else to do it if he couldn't. But inside that 40 I'll put my money on him every time and by the end of the season I'll be waaaaay ahead.

So I guess Carney is not YOUR answer, which is a horse of a whole different color, huh.

Did you even watch the game?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/detroit-lions/09000d5d8129c071/Lions-Defense-Highlight-WK-01-vs-Saints-2009

I am a huge Hargrove supporter, but he just was just BLOWN through on this play. The guy who knocked him down was right in Carneys face.

The perfect scenario just happened in the MNF game as to why we keep both or Hartley. W/ 40 seconds left, PM drove the Colts down for a 48 yd FG w/ 2 seconds left. Those 3 points could be the game, dont know if JC can make that kick.

Well, in 07 he played for Jacksonville so I guess I'll give you that one. He definitely didn't kick any long ones for us that year. And in 06 he was 5-6 on 40-49 yarders, and 1 for 1 over 50. So maybe we didn't lean on him for the "big kicks" which is fine because we had someone else to do it if he couldn't. But inside that 40 I'll put my money on him every time and by the end of the season I'll be waaaaay ahead.

So I guess Carney is not YOUR answer, which is a horse of a whole different color, huh.

And what Cundiff didn't kick Off us for us in the Eagles and Bears Playoffs games in '07...Of course he DID...Get your facts right....Of course that missed FG by Cundiff in the NFCC game blamed is for our downfall...losing momentum we had and the game...Carney wasn't even a consideration...We had Mason Crosby (Green Bay's kicker) and cut him to keep Carney..He had a way better camp than Carney but we went with the veteran bahhh....Whatever...Your going to place a bet on a player that there is no guarantee will be on the roster after th bye week...OK...you go ahead and do that buddy...

Last edited:
Hartley was perfect, had one bad snap in PS and one bad kick. It's a tough call, but the extra 50% shot of making a FG 8-9 yards further out 4-5 times a year makes it hard not to keep Hartley. Remember the coaches thought enough of Hartley that no one was brought into camp to seriously challenge him; Carney came on after the suspension came into play. At the time the decision is made I won't lose sleep either way. At the end of the season I'll know whether I should have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom