Carney, Hartley and Week 6 (1 Viewer)

Cuozzo67

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, what happens when Hartley is eligible to return to the roster in Week 6 (after the bye)? What happens to Carney? Morstead is doing well on kickoffs, so that may help Carney's chances.

Even though he doesn't have a strong leg, I'd still rather have Carney in a pressure situation. Hartley has the better leg, and was great last year, but both he and Carney each missed an easy FG in the preseason.

Who stays? You can't afford to keep them both like we did with Cundiff and Carney in 06. Can you?

Carney has kicked like one FG.

It's too early to tell right now.

I would be surprised if even the Saints organization knew the answer to that question. As bonchie stated, it's just far too early to tell.

In my honest opinion, I think they'll just role with Carney and Morestead the rest of the year. Morestead has been great on kickoffs (which Hartley wouldve been doing) and Carney is money.

Like everyone said it's a little early to tell. Personally I think we will bring back Hartley. Carney might be a solid vet, but his lack of leg strength is going to cost us at some point. Not only with not getting 3 when we need it, but also with the fact that because he doesn't have the same range he is forced to kick it lower and will have more kicks blocked that way--leading to big plays for the other team.

Hartley may have committed a dumb move, but you can't forget that the guy was perfect last year. He will be back.

As long as we can, we'll carry 2 kickers. Right now, we probably have the roster flexibility to make it happen.

Payton won't let us lose again because of a headcase kicker.

If both stay, Carney needs to get w/Hartley regarding that hair.

In my honest opinion, I think they'll just role with Carney and Morestead the rest of the year. Morestead has been great on kickoffs (which Hartley wouldve been doing) and Carney is money.

Carney has ALREADY missed a GIMME field GOAL week one against the Lions...His FG attempts have looked shaky at best...wobbly, nowhere near down the middle consistently..Hardly any leg left...Carney missed 2 field goals for the GIANTS in a PLAYOFF game last year which they lost...He didn't have the leg to kick against the Bears in the NFChamp. game..He CAN'T kick off because of weak leg strenght.....The guy is NOT money...need I say more...No I don't think so....

Like everyone said it's a little early to tell. Personally I think we will bring back Hartley. Carney might be a solid vet, but his lack of leg strength is going to cost us at some point.QUOTE]

the lack of a kicker cost us the playoffs last year - i can't see payton making the same decision twice (getting rid of carney)
put hartley on the roster and deactivate?

I think it will be Carney and Morstead. Hartley's screw-up cost him his job for this year.

Hartley may have committed a dumb move, but you can't forget that the guy was perfect last year. He will be back.

But Hartley was far from perfect in practice this year and in the preseason games. Barring Carney going on a cold streak, I don't think there is any way we change from the Carney/Morestead combo.

Not that this has anything at all to do with football but I don't see anything wrong with Hartley's hair.

I think it's the generation gap talking, saint 31. Us oldschoolers like myself and Cuozzo 67 prefer our kickers with crew cuts and kicking the ball straight on.

You Stay with the Money, we should have never gotten rid of Carney in the first place, look how many we lost in 07 & 08 because of bad kicking, I hope they keep Carney.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom