Carney, Hartley and Week 6 (1 Viewer)

Even if the Saints cut Carney, since he was on the roster in week 1, he gets paid for the year. I wonder if they have some deal with him that if Hartley has problems, they will bring him back.

Carney has ALREADY missed a GIMME field GOAL week one against the Lions...His FG attempts have looked shaky at best...wobbly, nowhere near down the middle consistently..Hardly any leg left...Carney missed 2 field goals for the GIANTS in a PLAYOFF game last year which they lost...He didn't have the leg to kick against the Bears in the NFChamp. game..He CAN'T kick off because of weak leg strenght.....The guy is NOT money...need I say more...No I don't think so....
that kick was blocked. and not at the line of scrimmage. not really on the kicker my man

As long as we can, we'll carry 2 kickers. Right now, we probably have the roster flexibility to make it happen.

Payton won't let us lose again because of a headcase kicker.

I think Payton has a knack for CAUSING headcase kickers. We found something good with Hartley last year. You've got to have enough confidence to allow a mistake or two and not crucify your kicker over it.

It was time to get rid of Grammatica, no doubt. To get rid of a guy who was perfect last year and is at the start of his career in favor of a guy who will be retiring in a season or two is dumb and we'll be doing this again next year.

If it's under 40 yards, Carney is almost a sure thing ... the kick blocked against the Lions was not his fault. Hartley has shown terrific range in warm-ups (up to 60 yards out), and he was perfect last season ... but Grammatica had been perfect at the end of 2007, too. Carney reminds me a lot of Garo Yepremian when he came to the Saints near the end of his career (1979). From inside 40 yards, he was money in the bank. The next season, Garo was gone and "you know who" was back kicking and supposedly had great range and accuracy. He lasted 2 games kicking before Benny Ricardo was signed. Garo had already been picked up the Bucs. You know, the offense is so good this year, if it's 4th and short around the 30 or 35, why not go for it? I know this is probably a dumb question, but has Morstead every done any kicking besides kick-offs. Just asking ... I'll admit he's making me eat my words.

that kick was blocked. and not at the line of scrimmage. not really on the kicker my man

But NOT because of a break down on the line...But because Carney didn't put enough HEIGHT on the ball...Line driving the ball just like his weak kick offs....Gramatica had the same thing happen to him against Minesota because he was incapable (no leg) like CARNEY which was returned for a TD or do you not remember that guy...Carney has had soooo many kicks blocked because of not enough height I wanna puke...kicking from beyond the 40 with Carney is dangerous because you will give up that field position....Carney is DONE...

I would hope the team doesn't stick with a 45 year old kicker over a much younger guy who has shown some real promise. Hartley came in last season and brought reliability to the kicking game. Potentially, he's a guy who can be a longterm answer and, at least in terms of judging him when it counts, was getting the job done.

I'm sure the team will make the right decision when the time comes!
I do like Hartley, just as long as he can stay off the pills.

I think it's the generation gap talking, saint 31. Us oldschoolers like myself and Cuozzo 67 prefer our kickers with crew cuts and kicking the ball straight on.

I even remember when some teams used one of their offensive or defensive linemen to kick field goals and extra points. Jerry Kramer w/Packers, Lou Michaels w/Colts.

Garo was actually one of the first soccer style kickers in the NFL when he was with the Lions. He kicked 6 field goals in one game in 1966. When he was with Dolphins, he rarely missed an important kick. When he was with the Saints, his only weakness was distance on long field goals and on kickoffs. They were kicking off from the 35 yard line in those days.

Morestead has kicked the ball out of bounds yesterday on a bad kick. He reached the endzone a couple of times, but towards the end of the game, when he gets tired, they got around the 5. Hartley has a pretty damn strong leg, when he gets back he will be kicking off.

As for Carney, his FG range is in the mid 40's. Hartley can work in the mid to high 50's so there is no question that Hartley will replace him after the first week.

Carneys last game as a kicker for the New Orleans saints will be the Jets, IMO.

I would hope the team doesn't stick with a 45 year old kicker over a much younger guy who has shown some real promise. Hartley came in last season and brought reliability to the kicking game. Potentially, he's a guy who can be a longterm answer and, at least in terms of judging him when it counts, was getting the job done.

Agreed!

I think that Payton will stick with Hartley, unless Carney show's that he can play DB or catch out the backfield.

Among kicks not blocked Carney has bee 100% but his longest kick of the night last night was under 30 yards. I think that Payton would rather have the option to go for a 50 yard field goal. Carney is not a long term option.

Also, remember that Grammatica filled in for us at 100%, but he stunk it up the next year. Payton will go with who he thinks gives him a better chance to win and that'll be decided in practice I'm sure.

But Hartley was far from perfect in practice this year and in the preseason games. Barring Carney going on a cold streak, I don't think there is any way we change from the Carney/Morestead combo.

I could care less about his accuracy from practice. He didn't miss a kick last year, and has very good leg strength. I love Carney from under 40, but it puts us at a disadvantage to not have a kicker that can boot longer kicks. I think it will cost us at some point.

It's all Olindo Mare's fault, anyway.

Carney has ALREADY missed a GIMME field GOAL week one against the Lions....

The "gimme" field goal that was blocked, you mean? :scratch:

You're probably right, the guy that was the top kicker in the NFC last year is a complete loser this year.

I even remember when some teams used one of their offensive or defensive linemen to kick field goals and extra points. Jerry Kramer w/Packers, Lou Michaels w/Colts.

Garo was actually one of the first soccer style kickers in the NFL when he was with the Lions. He kicked 6 field goals in one game in 1966. When he was with Dolphins, he rarely missed an important kick. When he was with the Saints, his only weakness was distance on long field goals and on kickoffs. They were kicking off from the 35 yard line in those days.

I remember the great George Blanda, but I don't recall seeing the Lou Grozas and the Jerry Kramers of the world place kick.

I actually thought Hungarian Pete Gogolak was the first to kick soccer style for the Bills in the AFL and then the NY Giants.

The world was a better place when kickers wore the single crossbar facemask!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom