Carolina had pressure on 68% of dropbacks[3rd most in any game since 2009] (1 Viewer)

Brees had games like these. Especially 2006 - 2008. He may have passed for more yards but he also threw 4 - 5 wounded duck ints.
I’m not saying we win this game with Brees. I’m just saying, the Panthers would have payed on some of those blitzes. Brees used to love being blitzed because it was an easy completion. I’m not talking about the 40 year old Brees either. Just saying, we had absolutely no answer for it. I get the circumstances surrounding the tough day, also. Hopefully this is a lesson learned, and we can have some better answers to pressure from this point on.

2011 Brees? Sure

2021 Brees with hair but without an arm? Probably not. The way he played last year led teams to give zero respect to any passing game

panthers would have equally blitzed the hell out of us
In my post I said not 40 year old Brees, although I do wonder if his intelligence and audibles could have slowed the pressure. Obviously the Brees we had last season with multiple broken body parts and a torn rotator cuff isn’t winning us that game. Lol. I’m simply saying even though Brees wasn’t necessarily the best athlete, his football intelligence isn’t something easily replaced.

Iam 100% with you! Replacing Drew might never happen for the Saints ever.
This guy was one in a million under QBs (where every starting QB in the league already is one in a million :D)

So yes, Brees might have made some adjustments, but wow I'm glad we didn't field 41 year old Brees against that D with that O line of ours, he would got killed! Literally killed!

Brees had games like these. Especially 2006 - 2008. He may have passed for more yards but he also threw 4 - 5 wounded duck ints.
Nope. One game with 4 picks attempting 45 passes vs Tennessee Sept 2007. And he was only sacked once, so not particularly comparable.

Our memories tend to play tricks on us. Unless you meant 4-5 such picks in three seasons, which doesn't sound exactly calamitous QB play.

One reason for the offense's abysmal performance was structural--the lack of talent at wide receiver and tight end. Even with Michael Thomas, we have a below average receiver grouping. Without Michael Thomas, our receiver grouping is clearly the league's worst. We like to talk about our success with undrafted free agents, and we do an exceptional job finding and getting production out of UFAs. But when you lead the league in UFAs, there is an overall lack of talent on the roster.

For years on this forum, I read year after year that we did not need many draft picks because our roster was so talented. Well, for year after year, we have had a glaring lack of depth at wide receiver and tight end. The lack of talent at the receiver positions has been evident in playoff games in recent years, though it was somewhat masked with Brees at quarterback both because of his command of the offense (which compensated for the lack of talent) and because of his lack of arm strength (which at the same time limited our passing offense even if we had had greater talent at receiver). At this time, it is the elephant in the room. It will be addressed in the next offseason, but for the 2021 season, it is what it is.

One reason for the offense's abysmal performance was structural--the lack of talent at wide receiver and tight end. Even with Michael Thomas, we have a below average receiver grouping. Without Michael Thomas, our receiver grouping is clearly the league's worst. We like to talk about our success with undrafted free agents, and we do an exceptional job finding and getting production out of UFAs. But when you lead the league in UFAs, there is an overall lack of talent on the roster.

For years on this forum, I read year after year that we did not need many draft picks because our roster was so talented. Well, for year after year, we have had a glaring lack of depth at wide receiver and tight end. The lack of talent at the receiver positions has been evident in playoff games in recent years, though it was somewhat masked with Brees at quarterback both because of his command of the offense (which compensated for the lack of talent) and because of his lack of arm strength (which at the same time limited our passing offense even if we had had greater talent at receiver). At this time, it is the elephant in the room. It will be addressed in the next offseason, but for the 2021 season, it is what it is.
When you're successful it starts to blind you and you think you can overcome issues like this. It will eventually kick you in the butt if you're not careful. Unfortunately we as fans have to suffer through this until it hits home for the front office.

Unfortunately they are holes all over the offensive side of the ball. We need upgrades on the OL, TE, WR, and possibly QB.

I agree there are questions at several positions on offense. After this season, we need to make a decision on the quarterback position. Either Winston is the answer, or he is not.

But I do wonder how many more assets in terms of high draft picks and dollars we can expend on the offensive line.

There should've been someone able to at least uncover short like you said.

Hence my Isabella thread.

Someone shifty and quick enough like Wes Welker to take advantage on a 7 yard dig and make a few guys miss to pick up a 1st, but no.
His name is Harris. They just ha e a really good secondary that allows them to send blitzes. Sounds alot like our defense, when they aren't injured, suspended, and coachless. OK, so the coachless thing sounds like a lame excuse, but look at 2012 when CSP was out. We looked like a rudderless ship. Sure we won some games, but there was an obvious impact considering what we did to the league in 2011.

There should've been someone able to at least uncover short like you said.

Hence my Isabella thread.

Someone shifty and quick enough like Wes Welker to take advantage on a 7 yard dig and make a few guys miss to pick up a 1st, but no.
His name is Harris. They just ha e a really good secondary that allows them to send blitzes. Sounds alot like our defense, when they aren't injured, suspended, and coachless. OK, so the coachless thing sounds like a lame excuse, but look at 2012 when CSP was out. We looked like a rudderless ship. Sure we won some games, but there was an obvious impact considering what we did to the league in 2011.

If you can't block them then SCREEN THEM TO DEATH. Where are the WR, RB ,and TE screens to slow down the pass rush??!!! No in game adjustments?? Oh wait we were missing the coaches :cool:

In my post I said not 40 year old Brees, although I do wonder if his intelligence and audibles could have slowed the pressure. Obviously the Brees we had last season with multiple broken body parts and a torn rotator cuff isn’t winning us that game. Lol. I’m simply saying even though Brees wasn’t necessarily the best athlete, his football intelligence isn’t something easily replaced.

You guys must have missed the part where Jameis was yelling at his WR's and TE's trying to get them in position and had to call TO's because they weren't lining up correctly.

I'm not saying Jameis is free from criticism, but let's get the position coaches back and make sure our center and left guard aren't out there blocking air while letting their assignments run free at the QB before we start blaming audibles.

I agree and I don't think they would have tried that with Drew. Nevertheless, consistent pressure is Every QBs kryptonite. Jameis deserves his fair share of the blame but I honestly never have seen our Oline look so bad, that was shocking.

Also, remember how rudderless we looked in 2011 when Payton got injured on the sideline vs. TB and we lost a winnable game (had we won, we're hosting SF instead of vice versa in the divisional round).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom