Carolina Will Not Trade for Burrow (1 Viewer)

You're probably right -- I saw what TribuneUK posted about the Chiefs trading for Alex Smith with one season remaining at $17 million. Still, I'd want to have something worked out with Newton ASAP to prevent him from being a one-year rental. That uncertainty about re-signing/extending is likely what kept Alex Smith's draft-pick value fairly low, and I would think the same would apply to Newton.

Yeah, agreed. An aging, running QB who is losing his mobility and was never that accurate isn't going to command a huge price tag in the trade market. Maybe a late 2nd or early 3rd, if that?

A friend of mine who works at Clemson said that the Panthers have been keeping a strong eye on Lawrence and like him a whole lot. Not saying it means anything but it could mean something. ijs

I wouldn't be surprised if Burrow isn't on their radar because they're waiting on Traver next year
If that's their plan, they will have to tank and finish with the worst record in the league. Lawrence is going #1 overall next year.

I think gavinj stated it more succinctly than I did--Rhule and Tepper want to totally rebuild, which means tearing down and adding as many draft picks as possible, similar to what Cleveland did.

Or Cryolina could just tank for one season, trade out of round one this seasons for picks next season and possibly land a young QB in next years draft who is equally as good as Burrow, and have tons of cap space to build round him. And as a benefit there isn't al that math and yucky statistics to worry about...

I really wonder what the market will be for Cam Newton. Panthers fans are expecting a boatload of picks but with his age, recent performance, and injury history I’m not so sure it will be the windfall they expect.
A platter of corn dogs, is about all they will get.

If I were Cincy, I trade out of the #1 spot, get multiple picks, retool my offensive line with picks and free agents, sign Bridgewater (providing TB is good with that). Bengals could be pretty dang good in no time, and for years to come.

Lmao. What a clickbait title. Here's an accurate title for your post: "In my opinion the Carolina Panthers won't trade up for Burrow"

Lmao. What a clickbait title. Here's an accurate title for your post: "In my opinion the Carolina Panthers won't trade up for Burrow"
Dude, it's the off-season and reading the OP you can see it's all clearly opinion. That's why they now have tags for threads like "Article" "Rumor" "Saints" etc. to use when posting something that isn't just your own thoughts. Not that serious.

I really wonder what the market will be for Cam Newton. Panthers fans are expecting a boatload of picks but with his age, recent performance, and injury history I’m not so sure it will be the windfall they expect.
Newton may pull a mid round pick from someone like the Bears. Honestly though, I think ends up released with that huge contract, age and attitude.

If I'm a nfl team I dont want him to mentor a young guy, dont want him for a rebuild, dont need him if I have a QB. So maybe a team that has a good defense, horrible QB situation on a rookie deal and a GM desperate to try and win now. Only team I can can match that criteria is the Bears or maybe Tampa if they dump Winston.

Rhule tears teams down and then builds from scratch. Expect a fire sale followed by a 1 or 2 win season in 2020. They won’t be trading up in the draft.
Curtis Samuel anyone? I wanted us to get him but the Panthers beat us to it.

I think Carolina would be better trading up to get Chase Young. Help fix their defense. Then sign a vet QB (not Cam) and a few good OL. With McCaffrey, those receivers, and improved defense and line play, and a vet QB, they would be well on their way. They can ride McCaffrey without needing a great QB. And can return to the well in next years draft if they need to

$18.6mm is pretty cheap for a QB. Cam's cap hit is the 15th highest next year and that's without Brees/Brady/Rivers/Teddy/Winston (currently free agents) so he'll really end up closer to the 18th highest paid QB. He costs less than Jacoby Brissett. That contract is not really going to be considered burdensome by anyone. He honestly would probably get more in the open market.
I mean other teams have eyes don't they?
Anyone who gives him 18 mill a year is buying a name.
The only person that would be afraid of him running the ball nowadays is himself.
Got respect for the guy but he might take the Kuechly route sooner than later unless he turns into some type of passing guru.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom