Carr has to feel rug pulled. [merged} (1 Viewer)

Onyemata and Elliss were 4th and 7th round picks, Tuttle was a UDFA, so part of this is hoping the team can continue identifying and developing up and coming talent. IIRC, there was some buzz around Sewell and Jackson at LB last camp and while he’s been a major disappointment so far, Turner factors into DE along with Granderson and Kpassagnon, and any players they bring in. I actually feel pretty good about Granderson taking the next step because it was understood he was a raw smaller school prospect who needed to develop, and he continues showing progress.

We landed a significant upgrade at QB and I think it should have been expected there was going to be defensive turnover with the number of free agents we had. The core is very much in tact, however.
Agreed.

I think they looked at the DL and felt like they underperformed significantly. And instead of paying for what the players’ previous “best” may have been, they figure they can plug the holes on cheaper deals and then attack it via the draft.

It’s not like our run D could get much worse. So why overpay for players who didn’t perform well just so you don’t have holes.

Our DL was easily the weakest part of our defense last year so if teams think they're pulling a coup by getting our DL guys, they're mistaken. Elliss showed a lot of improvement last year after being meh for the first 3 years of his career. I don't like losing him, but he wasn't passing Demario and Werner on the depth chart. Step back from the ledge.

Wasn't there talk during the draft of the defensive coaches wanting a D-line. I think the Eagles took him. The offensive coaches won and we took Olave. It seemed like we had no push up the middle. Not to mention the run stops pointed out.

We restructured our key players. And if our defense is going to be good, it will be because of the true cornerstones and the system.

We restructured our key players. And if our defense is going to be good, it will be because of the true cornerstones and the system.

I think the bigger immediate concerns are the level to which Cam and Demario can continue to play, and whether Turner can get it going. The players we’ve lost aren’t irreplaceable but two of our most important defensive players are getting up there in age. I feel reasonably good about them for at least another season, but they are at the point where decline can happen rapidly.

He directly mentioned the defense was a reason for signing with us. He signs only to see a fire sale on key players. Yikes.

The only player lost of substance was Ellis, and he was for all intents and purposes, a backup.

Everyone else, you only feel this way because they were familiar names.

You pay for what’s on film, not for names. Everyone lost is very average and replaceable, and won’t involve breaking the bank.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom