Derek Carr world tour thread (updated with combine visits) (1 Viewer)

I do not believe Derek Carr coming in under the Carmichael, Allen system would succeed. I do not think it is even worth the draft pick or money. I do not have faith he can put a team on his back and lead. If we had a Kyle Shanahan, Mcvay, or Andy Reid, Yes, I would pull the trigger. I think we could have made the playoffs with Winston with that Coaching. Derek Carr balled under Jon Grudens last 2 years in LV. Gruden is an Offensive genius. This Saints team have no one Offensively to scheme and find strengths. I don't believe you give up capital and pay veterans with 0 playoff wins. I would save the money draft Herndon Hooker. Fix your Offensive and Defensive lines. Fix your delinquencies. I know the cap situation is not as dire as the media is making. Why not fix the cap further, and not take on this situation. We had the oldest roster in the league last year. Atlanta, and Carolina are young. They have a plan for the future. If you want to give up draft capital for a QB. You want to spend some money. Go get Daniel Jones. Go get Lamar Jackson. If you are not going to get a QB with incredible upside. Go draft Hooker. Move up in the draft and get C. J. Stroud. Go get your answer. Someone with the potential to be the answer. Do not go get a top 15 QB. to throw to less than talented weapons than he had in Oakland.

Oh definitely, a QB on a rookie or cheap deal is a massive hack.

Either that or be fortunate enough to have a bona fide elite QB on a premium contract who can elevate the budget roster that you're forced to put around him due to the salary cap.

Any other formula is a perpetual tease without the payoff. See: Cowboys, Vikings, Titans.

I still laugh at people that talk about JW at this point like he wasn’t sent packing in TB for being erratic, barely beat TH7 out 2 seasons ago for the starting job by one preseason game, lost his job to Andy Dalton, or that his team didn’t actively seek a trade to sell the farm last year to replace him with Watson…. Just to again try to replace him with Carr this year. No idea what you guys see… Because I sure don’t, and obviously neither do the Saints.

I’d recommend going back and watching those games in context for both players for a few reasons.

Jameis took a ton of sacks he didn’t have to. Six in the Tampa game alone. It’s been stated that he failed to identify the hot routes quite a few times, and teams could just blitz at will. That’s not the type of thing that shows up in the numbers.

As for Carr, one of those two losses was the game they were beating the Rams 16-3 in the 4th quarter and took the air out of the ball. The other was a windy night in Pittsburgh. And the other was a win in which they put up 30 points, including Carr leading a game-tying TD drive with 32 seconds left.

I’m not saying Carr is a hall of famer. But making the case that he’s an upgrade over Dalton and 2022 Winston isn’t difficult.
I recommend you do the same.
Those 6 sacks are brought up but no one mentioned the fact that back injury was in place and he ruptured that tendon in the first half of the game. 2 of the 3 sacks in the first half were coverage sacks and the other sack in the first half was this:

guess.PNG

With no motion and all of your possible receivers this close together, how do you diagnose this presnap? I would like to know how you would call protection and would love to hear about that hot route..lol. And if you look at the play, Jameis couldn't step into the throw because David was in his face, so what good is a hot route when you don't have time to throw it. And the kicker is this is how the formation looked on a lot of those sacks where Underhill talks about what one should have seen. Didn't hear much of that when Dalton was taking sacks left and right, but I digress. And in the Bucs game, we still don't hear about the impact that Ingram's fumble in the red zone had in that game but we sure heard about it when he came up 1 yard short on a 2nd down.

And also, let's talk about the Carolina game, where Kamara's fumbles, penalties killing majority of the drives, and Lutz getting a field goal blocked and missing one all but drowned us against the Panthers.

But at the end of the day, no matter how you slice it, with a messed up back and ruptured tendon, Jameis played better than Carr in their last 3 games. One gets excuses and the other doesn't.

Last edited:
The Eagles handled their cap issues in 2021. Had a dead cap hit that was 30% of their cap.

They used the reloaded cap in 2022 to sign a few key free agents. They’ll be playing this Sunday.

We don’t have a Jalen Hurts on the roster, but man I’m jealous of what they accomplished.

None of it works if they hadn't landed Hurts. That's a different team when he's not playing. Hitting on a quarterback in the draft is about the hardest feat in building a contender.

We're working out of a lot of that cap mess no matter what we do, and it's possible that it ultimately upends any chance of signing Carr, anyway. We'll have to see. My point is that the only options aren't to kick the can forever or rip the bandaid off.

I still laugh at people that still talk about JW at this point like he wasn’t sent packing in TB for being erratic, barely beat TH7 out 2 seasons ago for the starting job by one preseason game, lost his job to Andy Dalton, or that his team didn’t actively trade to sell the farm last year to replace his last year with Watson…. Just to again try to replace him with Carr this year. No idea what you guys see… Because I sure don’t, and obviously neither do the Saints.
You never did, we know that. DA was never a fan of Winston that's obvious now. The hypothetical that some people make is that he was never given a chance when he was healthy, and Allen kinda gave mixed signals on his status for weeks.

I still laugh at people that still talk about JW at this point like he wasn’t sent packing in TB for being erratic, barely beat TH7 out 2 seasons ago for the starting job by one preseason game, lost his job to Andy Dalton, or that his team didn’t actively seek a trade to sell the farm last year to replace him last year with Watson…. Just to again try to replace him with Carr this year. No idea what you guys see… Because I sure don’t, and obviously neither do the Saints.
I never understood why they thought Winston putting on a Saints uniform would mean he wouldn't play the way he played with Tampa Bay that made them say no to their "franchise" QB.

He was erratic in Tampa and proved to be so in New Orleans that's why Payton had him on that pitch count and why when he went full gunslinger vs Tampa Bay this year they benched him for a more efficient (though less talented) QB in Dalton.

It's not just the Bucs and now Saints that know the kind of player Winston is, the league knows who he is and at this point he is a fringe player, the perfect QB to sign when you have a young player waiting on the wings.

Last edited:
None of it works if they hadn't landed Hurts. That's a different team when he's not playing. Hitting on a quarterback in the draft is about the hardest feat in building a contender.

We're working out of a lot of that cap mess no matter what we do, and it's possible that it ultimately upends any chance of signing Carr, anyway. We'll have to see. My point is that the only options aren't to kick the can forever or rip the bandaid off.
There's an argument to be made that we run it back with Dalton and try to bring a young guy in. However, Allen cannot afford to go in that direction, and we don't have the offensive staff to develop a young QB.

I never understood why they thought Winston putting on a Saints uniform would mean he wouldn't play the way he played with Tampa that made them say no to their "franchise" QB. he was erratic in Tampa and proved to be so in New Orleans that's why Payton had him on that pitch count and why when he went full gunslinger vs Tampa this year and never saw the field again, they knew (the Saints) who he was.
I never understood why some people thought Ian Book was the future. Seriously, he did performed well enough before he got hurt with Sean, that was the basis of the contention.

I recommend you do the same.
Those 6 sacks are brought up but no one mentioned the fact that back injury was in place and he ruptured that tendon in the first half of the game. 2 of the 3 sacks in the first half were coverage sacks and the other sack in the first half was this:

guess.PNG

With no motion and all of your possible receivers this close together, how do you diagnose this presnap? I would like to know how you would call protection and would love to hear about that hot route..lol. And if you look at the play, Jameis couldn't step into the throw because David was in his face, so what good is a hot route when you don't have time to throw it. And the kicker is this is how the formation looked on a lot of those sacks where Underhill talks about what one should have seen. Didn't hear much of that when Daltons was talking sacks left and right, but I digress. And in the Bucs game, we still don't hear about the impact that Ingram's fumble in the red zone had in that game but we sure heard about it when he came up 1 yard short on a 2nd down.

And also, let's talk about the Carolina game, where Kamara's fumbles, penalties killing majority of the drives, and Lutz getting a field goal blocked and missing one all but drowned us against the Panthers.

But at the end of the day, no matter how you slice it, with a messed up back and ruptured tendon, Jameis played better than Carr in their last 3 games. One gets excuses and the other doesn't.
Yes, those things happened.

It’s completely separate from the awful decisions Winston made, including (especially) failing to make throws when obvious pressure was coming and obvious outlets existed.

If you can’t beat a blitz, which Winston showed over and over in those games he couldn’t do, you can’t function as an offense.

And a ton of Winston’s numbers came when the Saints were in scramble mode against Atlanta and Carolina because they fell so far behind. You can’t live like that as a football team. It puts the defense in terrible spots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom