Derek Carr world tour thread (updated with combine visits) (6 Viewers)

Can’t help but feel like Dennis Allen and Mickey Loomis are feeling the “heat” from all four walls and are in somewhat of a desperate state. They probably need this more than any other team. And when you factor in all the Saints players, especially the veterans, they too are on the sideline now waiting to see in what future direction this franchise is heading (reload/rebuild).

As for Derek Carr, who has said he wants to play for a winning franchise, if he’s been reading the tea leaves, New Orleans is not that place. I wouldn’t mind seeing him here but when all the dusts settles, he’s probably not. There are teams with a better core of young talented players, coaching leadership, and a much better CAP situation. All three critical if he is really seeking a strong finish in his career.

But we shall see pretty soon.

Saintswire reports the raiders and saints have agreed on trade compensation for Carr. Idk how reliable they are. The story states an agreement on compensation was a requirement for the visit. Author speculated the trade value should be in line with other mid-level qbs, which is a third rounder. But the Saints don’t have a third so it has to something of similar value.
According to this Saints have #29 (1st), #40 (2nd) and #71 (3rd).

Can’t help but feel like Dennis Allen and Mickey Loomis are feeling the “heat” from all four walls and are in somewhat of a desperate state. They probably need this more than any other team. And when you factor in all the Saints players, especially the veterans, they too are on the sideline now waiting to see in what future direction this franchise is heading (reload/rebuild).

As for Derek Carr, who has said he wants to play for a winning franchise, if he’s been reading the tea leaves, New Orleans is not that place. I wouldn’t mind seeing him here but when all the dusts settles, he’s probably not. There are teams with a better core of young talented players, coaching leadership, and a much better CAP situation. All three critical if he is really seeking a strong finish in his career.

But we shall see pretty soon.
Yep, Allen and Loomis need this to happen. I'm not sure what Carr sees in us outside of a relationship with DA, who may or may not be here next year.

Firstly, I find it ridiculous there are people in here still crying about Winston. Get. Over. It. He’s. Done. Stop making the same empty arguments no one agrees with.

Secondly, Carr needs a change of scenery, McDaniels was not a good fit for him and I don’t think McDaniels is a strong fit for HC anywhere. So I see this is a major mistake by LV that has given us an oppurtunity to not fully turn into the ice berg and drop to the bottom of the league.

Carr will have two talented receivers in Olave and Shaheed, a budding playmaker in TE Johnson and will play with probably the most talented group on D he has in his career. If we can find a way to strength our O-Line (or penning becomes THAT guy) and upgrade our RB position I think we can win games. Adding another WR would be great too, so if we get Carr, I think it drastically changes our approach to the draft. I wonder if we take a RB with pick from Denver if that is the case?

Man I hope he comes here. You can't realistically hope to do better. Top 5 picks are like a 10-15% hit rate and we don't have one of those. Then you're talking about jimmy g who's basically a younger Dalton or Dalton. I'd give him anything under 45M. He's a top 10-15 qb but not elite. Like dak. You can win it all with him if you have a talented team like sf or philly and he can win you a few games you shouldn't.

ETA: except Jameis, but that ship seems to have sailed

Last edited:
Jameis had his shot. He looked good with Payton in 2021. Then he got hurt. Then he got hurt again and played poorly.

Carr was 3rd in MVP voting in 2016. Gruden takes over in 2018 and Carr gets better every year, culminating in a playoff berth last season.

Then McDaniels comes in and it doesn’t work.

What you really need to say is Jameis doesn't have that "goodwill" to fall back on. Carr was 3rd in MVP votes in 2016 and then what? He improved under Gruden in yards and completion percentage while still being near the bottom of the league in TD rate, red zone efficiency, and the Raiders being a bottom 10 scoring team majority of those years. And I give it to them last season, with all of the crazy that was going on, from Gruden to the car accident. It was a gutsy year from them and mad respect. But why did they lose against the Bengals?

This might have something to do with it.

But there have been nothing about any of his issues when it comes down to his evaluation. He is an upgrade "just because."

The problem with Jameis is he doesn’t have that kind of success to fall back on, outside of a few games of team success with Payton last season, who isn’t here anymore.

Something that you might not realized because you probably never cared to go back or just didn't care in the first place was Jameis looked better under Monken's play calling than he did Payton's.

When Jameis came back from being benched in 2018, this is how he finished the season.
endof18.PNG

259 yards per game on 64% completion (while having an average depth of throw being over 10 yards, so no dinking and dunking), 13TDs/4INTs over the same amount of time he played under CSP.

The only thing that was better was his TD:INT (3:1 vs 4:1). And he improved in every statistical area year by year. (look at where he finished in QBR in 2018)

So ask yourself, how can one finish a season with this efficiency and then throw 30 interceptions the next season

The coach changed. The QB didn’t.
But not everyone gets that goodwill.

What you really need to say is Jameis doesn't have that "goodwill" to fall back on. Carr was 3rd in MVP votes in 2016 and then what? He improved under Gruden in yards and completion percentage while still being near the bottom of the league in TD rate, red zone efficiency, and the Raiders being a bottom 10 scoring team majority of those years. And I give it to them last season, with all of the crazy that was going on, from Gruden to the car accident. It was a gutsy year from them and mad respect. But why did they lose against the Bengals?

But there have been nothing about any of his issues when it comes down to his evaluation. He is an upgrade "just because."

Something that you might not realized because you probably never cared to go back or just didn't care in the first place was Jameis looked better under Monken than he did Payton.

When Jameis came back from being benched in 2018, this is how he finished the season.
endof18.PNG

The only thing that was better was his TD:INT (3:1 vs 4:1). And he improved in every statistical area year by year. (look at where he finished in QBR in 2018)

So ask yourself, how can one finish a season with this efficiency and then throw 30 interceptions the next season

I don't think there are many against Jameis at 12.5M.....except the coaching staff. I'd roll the dice with him at that number.

Something that you might not realized because you probably never cared to go back or just didn't care in the first place was Jameis looked better under Monken than he did Payton.

endof18.PNG

You’re taking that last statement out of context. Carr had built up a strong resume. McDaniels came in and stuff fell apart.

Jameis didn’t have a similar resume for success. As I already stated. The numbers were one thing. But the context of the numbers matters. Was the team behind? What did the system emphasize? For example, Jameis didn’t have eye-popping numbers last year. But imo, it was his best season because our weapons weren’t good and he did what was necessary to win games.

Anyway…from a Saints (and a Saints fan) perspective, there really is no Jameis vs Carr. Because Jameis isn’t going to be here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom