Derek Carr world tour thread (updated with combine visits) (8 Viewers)

IDK but trading for Carr is risky. He had some serious weapons in NV, Adams and Waller. And was meah at best. We can offer him a very good second year WR and up and coming UDFA WR and after a 6-game suspension AK. OL is OK at best, no TE threat. IDK but we are miles away from contending for anything even in this division, which we couldn't grab last season when the division was a mess.
Trading draft capital for a 30 yr old middling QB is dumb IMO.
He had a total of 63 plays with all them at the same time.

Stats say that Matt Ryan was an elite QB. At no point was Matt Ryan ever an elite QB. Stats are not the end all be all. Plus, the two years that Carr actually had a decent/good defense, he led his team to the playoffs. I can roll with that.
There’s an old saying that goes “Stats are for Losers, and Jamies Winston Fans”

No one saw Top-15 All-Time Great QB in San Diego Brees' future, but he was still only 27 years old, his career arc was on the upswing, and it was perfectly reasonable to believe that he hadn't yet hit his ceiling.

Carr will be 32 by Opening Day 2023, and it's most likely that the best we've seen of him is the best we're going to get. And whereas Payton was unproven as a head coach, one could say that Dennis Allen is very much proven 🥴. In other words, if there's any upside left to be squeezed out of Carr, Allen ain't the guy to do the squeezing...

This feels like the kind of move that will land us solidly in the Kirk Cousins Purgatory of 1 playoff win, maybe 2... tops. If either Carr or Allen possess the grit, moxie, and streak of brilliance required to manufacture a serious run, I will be pleasantly surprised. But at least the regular seasons will be meaningful again....
Yea that could be the worst case scenerio. Or he could come to the Saints with a chip on his shoulder and light it up to prove his doubters wrong. Remember reality is most of the time between the worst case and the best case scenario.

The poster Saint Spud replied to has repeatedly made statistical comparisons between Winston and Manning.

So what's the beef with making Saint Spud making a 1 game statistical comparison between Carr and Brady?
Actually, that poster used stats and metrics for both Winston and Dalton to ask the question "What's make Carr an upgrade?"
That poster was also met with stats such as completion percentage and passer rating.
That poster also doesn't expect this poster to negate anything that poster...um..lol.

Don't simplify my conversation to just stats...hahaha.

None of it works if they hadn't landed Hurts. That's a different team when he's not playing. Hitting on a quarterback in the draft is about the hardest feat in building a contender.

We're working out of a lot of that cap mess no matter what we do, and it's possible that it ultimately upends any chance of signing Carr, anyway. We'll have to see. My point is that the only options aren't to kick the can forever or rip the bandaid off.
Sirianni has done a great job of Coaching Hurts under the RPO.
Show me a top tier QB that is available that we can afford.
Lamar Jackson

Yeah, I see a pick as two things. One is to prevent him from hitting Free Agency. The other is to give LV the incentive to take on some of that salary. I could see this being a high draft pick if LV takes on some cap.

Hope they can work out something reasonable for both sides.
I'd be okay with the Saints trading their 1st this year for:
Carr
Raiders's 2024 1st round pick
Some cap relief on Carr's contract

Saints get a QB for at least this year at a reasonable cap hit and 2 1st round picks next year. I think the Raiders are likely to be drafting higher next year than the Broncos will be.

5 of LV losses were by 3 or less. And two of those went to OT. Had those games been won we wouldn’t be talking about him. (And another two losses were less than a Td). He got cut because expectations were through the roof.

I actually texted Bobby on WWL about Carr. He didn’t respond, but he was saying that the $ difference between Carr and AD doesn’t justify their talent differences. This is plain dumb. You don’t win a bigger Super Bowl trophy if you’ve spent less on your roster. He also said they are similar in age. (31-35) My reply was this: Of the two QBs who has a better chance at side stepping a free rusher?

Also, I like Ad, but he does not have a cannon arm nor did he attempt many deep passes and less while being blitzed. (He reminded me of Bree’s in his last few seasons) He‘d either dump it off to a hot route or dine on a sack.

I found this on NFL,com regarding Carrs ability to throw the deep pass while being blitzed
“In the face of persistent hardship, Carr stood tall in the pocket, racking up 806 deep passing yards from inside the tackle box. Against the blitz, Carr completed 50 percent of his deep pass attempts for the most deep passing yards (420) on such attempts in the NFL. He was one of just six qualified quarterbacks in the NFL to post a completion percentage of 50 or better on such attempts and tied for the most touchdowns with four. His CPOE of 15.8 in this area was the fifth-highest in the league.”

DA would say. LOOK, we’re lucky to have a chance to steal a Qb in their prime for peanuts. :) My plan would be to sign Carr for 5 years with 2 voidable. Resign AD and draft a QB with 29 or 40. I’d have all three going into next year. Ad is a team player. Say get Hooker. We groom him under Carr for 3 years then reevaluate Qb1.
This scenario keeps the bags off of the fans for the foreseeable future.
But those close games are the ones that you want your $40M QB to win for you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom