Carson Wentz (1 Viewer)

I think he is in the same boat Winston was. I think if Winston goes for big money then Wentz would be a fall back plan if we didn’t want to trade picks for a Rodgers or Wilson
The difference is that Winston was beloved by his teammates. Carson doesn't seem to inspire his teammates much at all. In a short time, JW has the team and city solidly behind him. Wentz now has two cities that wish he never stepped foot in them.

I think Wentz has the physical tools but what truly makes great QB's is mastery over the mental part of the game. Carson lost that when he obviously could never recover from Foles being embraced by all of Philly. He hasn't been the same since that year.

I have no desire to wait around for things to click again for Wentz on the field. I have even less desire waiting for him to mesh with our locker room culture. He's just not that dude.

The difference is that Winston was beloved by his teammates. Carson doesn't seem to inspire his teammates much at all. In a short time, JW has the team and city solidly behind him. Wentz now has two cities that wish he never stepped foot in them.

I think Wentz has the physical tools but what truly makes great QB's is mastery over the mental part of the game. Carson lost that when he obviously could never recover from Foles being embraced by all of Philly. He hasn't been the same since that year.

I have no desire to wait around for things to click again for Wentz on the field. I have even less desire waiting for him to mesh with our locker room culture. He's just not that dude.
Great Post

Look at the fan bases and that’s your answer. The players not liking him is pure speculation. Eagles fan base hate their own moms and the colts only had fans with Manning.

Wentz should have been an MVP in Phily. He has the talent and the drive. He just needs the coaching and consistency around him to excel.

B
Look at the fan bases and that’s your answer. The players not liking him is pure speculation. Eagles fan base hate their own moms and the colts only had fans with Manning.

Wentz should have been an MVP in Phily. He has the talent and the drive. He just needs the coaching and consistency around him to excel.
But it's not speculation. If I remember correctly Malcolm even alluded to Carson causing a rift in the locker room. People weren't pulling stories about Went out of thin air. Many Philly insiders with solid reporting backgrounds had sourced stories about the locker room tensions. Carson admitted that he had issues dealing with how everything was playing out. You can Google and see it for yourself. Carson has had teammate troubles in the recent past. His leadership is very questionable.

That is a huge problem that bleeds over onto the field. Those other 52 men have to be convinced to follow your lead or things don't work out for the best. You can hide bad leadership for only so long. A team will rally behind a struggling QB1 who has character and has proven himself worthy to champion. They will fall to pieces behind a struggling QB1 who has shown himself to be selfish and walled off to others.
I get that he was in MVP talks in 18. But that was a lifetime ago in football terms. Wentz hasn't been that guy in years.

Winston and Wentz aren't comprobable to me. Winston had way more hurdles to jump through in a unstable franchise at the time. His game was being dictated to by a pass happy coach who tried to fit him into his system. Winston needed to overcome his trigger happy tendencies, which he seemed to be doing quite well at before the injury. In terms of leadership, him humbling himself to sit behind Drew for a year and not press to be a starter was one of the surest signs that he was willing to do the work on himself as a man and as a QB.

Wentz was in a system made for him. He was drafted by a franchise that for the most part had stability in the upper front office. He was the man and was given free reign. He lost his way when that injury opened the door for his backup. Unlike how Jameis fought for the QB1 spot, Carson wasn't game to do so. Even Jimmy G has shown more resilience throughout his QB battle and he actually helped lead his team to a Superbowl appearance.

Carson proved that he didn't have the mental toughness franchise Quarterbacks must have to lead a team. He all but gave up and I just don't trust a supposed leader who wants everything handed to him like it's his birthright. Wentz can be some other guru's headache. We compete on airline drive; nothing's given. All is earned.

I'd rather draft a QB than bring in Wentz to be our starting QB and this draft class is not a good one to do that in either. He's done, he had it sure, but it's gone now. Some people don't recover well from adversity on a national platform and that seems to be the case with Wentz. Since that MVP caliber year we've seen flashes of good to great play from him but often times within the same game he regresses to what he's become makes bad mistakes and costs his team football games.

People can say what they want about Philly and Indy having bad and fairweather fans respectively but I can't imagine the nervous energy in the Dome (which is another conversation entirely but has been apparent even on Television for the last 2 seasons we've had fans in the building, 3 total) is going to be any better for him. Then let him blow a few games in classic Wentz and/or Saints fashion? I'd be concerned for his psychoemotional health at that point.

One team invest the #2 pick in you and the coach that helped achieve your initial success traded for you. The team that drafted was able to win a Superbowl, so it can't be a consistency or coaching thing. You just lost a critical game against the worst team in the league for a chance to get in the playoffs. I do not believe it's all his fault and he had an okay season but the guy seems mentally fragile. That's not what you want from a leader.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom