Casillas to SS and Rex Ryan's Scheme (1 Viewer)

No offense to the OP but this would be akin to putting shanle at CB. His weakness is coverage and you would accentuate it.

No offense to the OP but this would be akin to putting shanle at CB. His weakness is coverage and you would accentuate it.

Couldn't disagree more, ryan runs a 3-4 4-6 hybrid which esentialy has his SS in the box as another linebacker blitizing 50% of the time playing a short medium zone sometimes which he did as a linebacker, and guarding the tight end on occasion, like I said casillas would only be in on running downs or when asked to blitz, when its an obvious pass and we would want our SS in coverage we would use IAQ who is 6"2 220 4.45 speed and can play great coverage.

This is very possible, but shanle at CB, thats just idiotic, no offense to you but U dont really get it if u make that comparison.

Also people saying he cant cover u have to understand, rob ryan runs a 3/4 hybrid kind of like a 4-6, his SS is basically always in the box, He wouldnt be covering WR's he would either be blitzing or covering the tight end, or u could take ur ILB to over the Tight end and put ur SS on the RB or FB actually, but like i said the SS in rex ryan's system is basically a SS, on rushing downs u can have casillas play SS, in passing downs take him out and move IAQ to SS

guys, if this is true, Harper will excel in this defense.like him or not

Couldn't disagree more, ryan runs a 3-4 4-6 hybrid which esentialy has his SS in the box as another linebacker blitizing 50% of the time playing a short medium zone sometimes which he did as a linebacker, and guarding the tight end on occasion, like I said casillas would only be in on running downs or when asked to blitz, when its an obvious pass and we would want our SS in coverage we would use IAQ who is 6"2 220 4.45 speed and can play great coverage.

This is very possible, but shanle at CB, thats just idiotic, no offense to you but U dont really get it if u make that comparison.

The nfl doesn't work like that as you say running downs or passing downs. if you declare what you're doing by putting an obvious mismatch on the field it will get exposed no matter when. Teams know Casillas cant cover anyone for long so they will destory him on routes. Unless you blitz him everytime in which case they will pick up on that tendency and be able to predict your coverages and what the other guys are doing.

The key is having safeties that can do both so that keeps the element of surprise going.

The Shanle analogy is hyperbole yes. But it works because teams know Shanle can't cover for long so puttinng him out there declares your intention, which is play the run on the chacne it goes to the outside or have shanle just mug the WR for half a second on the chance he doesn't whiff entirely and gives a free release.

Either way, the NFL is about mismatches not about running downs or passing downs.

guys, if this is true, Harper will excel in this defense.like him or not

Not saying he won't I believe he most certainly will like he did in GW's system, im not saying this WILL happen i'm just saying it would save us a ton of money, i could see us cuttin casillas and starting IAQ at SS as well. I'm 99% sure casillas wont be our SS I was just thinking outside the box for fun.

The nfl doesn't work like that as you say running downs or passing downs. if you declare what you're doing by putting an obvious mismatch on the field it will get exposed no matter when. Teams know Casillas cant cover anyone for long so they will destory him on routes. Unless you blitz him everytime in which case they will pick up on that tendency and be able to predict your coverages and what the other guys are doing.

The key is having safeties that can do both so that keeps the element of surprise going.

The Shanle analogy is hyperbole yes. But it works because teams know Shanle can't cover for long so puttinng him out there declares your intention, which is play the run on the chacne it goes to the outside or have shanle just mug the WR for half a second on the chance he doesn't whiff entirely and gives a free release.

Either way, the NFL is about mismatches not about running downs or passing downs.

I hear ya like I stated it was just for fun and thinking outside the box, I am absolutely positive this wont happen I was really just messing around, i could see us cutting harper and starting IAQ at SS, maybe even Corey White, but the most likely scenario will be that harper stays and will be our starting SS. I would just rather save the money and give IAQ his due, he deserves it and is a playmaker with great coverage ability, size, speed and hit power.

thanks, i cant see casillas being worse in coverage than pollard, he would ply the the line of scrimmage.

Not bad. Casillas is like a faster version of Harper, and probably works a lot cheaper. They should try him out in camp, and if he can't do it, no harm done.

Not bad. Casillas is like a faster version of Harper, and probably works a lot cheaper. They should try him out in camp, and if he can't do it, no harm done.

Thanks, he is bigger and faster and couldnt be any worse in coverage

IMO Harper should have been a WLB for the last 3 years which is why I like this post!

Why do people keep saying this??? It's ridiculous.... Please name one effective (he doesn't even have to star), linebacker in the NFL that weighs 215 pounds...

Harper isn't even an incredible run defender as a safety when he's generally unblocked so I don't understand the prevailing desire to make him a LB

How often in the history of football has a player SWITCHED positions and improved? Urlacher...Thomas Davis...

Anyone else? Any Saints throughout history?

Why do people keep saying this??? It's ridiculous.... Please name one effective (he doesn't even have to star), linebacker in the NFL that weighs 215 pounds...

Harper isn't even an incredible run defender as a safety when he's generally unblocked so I don't understand the prevailing desire to make him a LB

I am willing to give Harper a mulligan for last season...because outside of Jordan & Lofton EVERYONE was hot garbage under Spags.

He is usually an excellent in the box SS. Rob Ryan may incorporate lots of 4-6 BEAR defenses to allow Harper to be at the line of scrimmage more. But it is going to be absolutely essential to get a GREAT centerfield FS. I am a much bigger fan of Elam...but the truth is that Vaccaro may very well be the best suited for that job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom