Casillas wins Saints' starting WLB job (1 Viewer)

WhoDat9to12

DREW DAT
Reaction score
One of the surprise developments in Saints training camp has been the rise of LB Jonathan Casillas, who is the new starting weak-side 'backer. After the first preseason game New Orleans decided to move longtime WLB Scott Shanle to the strong side to clear a spot for Casillas, who made 20 tackles in 11 games last season as a rookie. The Saints were expecting fifth-year veteran Clint Ingram to compete for the starting job on the strong side, but he's still on the PUP list recovering from knee surgery, and Casillas has had a solid camp.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/08/22/casillas-wins-saints-starting-wlb-job

IIRC Casillas was thought to have been a mid-round draft pick if it hadn't been for some injuries. I could be wrong but if that's right he obviously wasn't bad out of college.

Well, it may seem like a forgone conclusion now, but a lot of us were talking about this all off-season. Namely, would one of the "linebackers on the roster" as Loomis and Payton put it really be able to come and start effectively for the defense this season.
So far, Casillas has played well in the pre-season games and reports have been good from training camp. It's not the regular season yet, of course, so the jury is still out, but so far I'm pleased with what I've been seeing/hearing concerning him and I'm hopeful he'll turn out to be a solid starter for several seasons and not turn out to be only a mediocre stop-gap. Time will tell...

Isn't this news like a week old?

Not trying to be a smart *** but wasn't this discussed thoroughly after we went back to practice following the Patriots game?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom