Casserly nailed it in the post-PC comments (1 Viewer)

I like Martez's speed and pass rush ability, on the few snaps he got, but he needs to bulk up to play the run and get more snaps, and I think a good off season could really help this kid be special, I wouldn't move him back to LB

If he plays like DS for a year I'll take it.
Then what happens the next year? I'm not saying we should not go after Reed, I'm saying draft a future safety and if you get Reed, he can teach said safety to be that much better.

The 49er's are going to the SB after giving up 477 yards to the Falcons. The point is, even good defenses are going to give up massive yards to certain offenses. The Falcon's turnovers did them in.

We need a serviceable defense, not a dominating defense, which we can't afford anyway. We need the aggessive style Williams preached, without the cash incentives. We need a playmaker or two who will force turnovers.

I think our biggest problem last year was a lack of confidence on defense. Injuries, distractions, new system, lack of a head coach all conspired to produce a hesitant, uninspired defense. I don't think we are that far away from getting back to the championship game.

As great as that all sounds theres a lot of problems. 1st is our salary cap issue. Were gonna lose key players. Kikely Bushrod being 1. Brees having good protection is the number focus of this team like it or not. we mostly win or lose based on him. Not our defense.

The second issue is that any rookie we get likely will take a few years before they reach there potential. We all want a Jzj Watt or Ed Reed type rookie. But chances are so incredibly small we get that kind of rookie on defense that we better not even try for it.

Draft for the future, bring in free agents for the coning season.

Take BPA. Position doesn't matter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

There are very few teams who have great offenses and great defenses....few have existed since the institution of the salary cap. We have an Offense driven team...get used to it because it'll be that way for at least 5 more years.

1. Put Martez back at LB.

2. Get a true cover safety (with speed, and who can actually catch the ball)... as in a young, healthy Darren Sharper.

3. An impact player with speed off the edge at DE.

4. Get rid of our experimental NT (aka: "Big Sed").

:gosaints:

I think that 2 and 3 are kind of a big deal. You don't find a HOF safety every day. And you don't find an impact DE with speed either. They're not available where we draft, even at 15 (well, the safety might be). But the bigger problem is that we have had these needs for years and not addressed them, or when we've tried, we've struck out. The defensive scouts?

After SP was finished with his press conference, NFLN had their usual stable of talking heads to comment, and Casserly pretty much nailed it, I thought.

He said, "The Saints have played so well on offense in the past few years that their holes on defense have been disguised, but those holes have always been there."

He said our main three needs on D are a pass rush DE, a DT that can play the run, and a cover safety(INDEED).

Having SP back is going to make some impact on the defense, but we need a good FA period and draft on defense.

Nope... its Spags I tell ya! :rant:

/sarcasm

Pretty much.

But I think we are at the point here of noting that, yes, the Payton Brees combo is so good on offense it has carried the franchise. Yet, in 6 years, we have not been able to right the defense in such a way to make it just a little better than average.

If we had built just a top 15 defense and had consistent play, we'd prolly have 3 Lombardis at this point. So, really, it's time for maybe Payton and this coaching staff to evolve a little and think about the effort to make this a better rounded team as opposed to just building game plans and management around shootout football.

Drew won't be here forever. If Payton is thinking about a longer career that extends past the Brees era, he's got to get the dials right on all three phases of the game.

And I think he witnessed the "evolution" over the past year....the Pistol offense. When asked about it he said it makes him "nervous". As in, if a team has a stout D like SF and can chew up clock ( possession ) like SF, it puts the pressure BACK on the opposition offense to EXECUTE FLAWLESSLY. That doesnt happen often.

how is that nailing it? isn't that what everyone has always said?

In the SB run it was TOs that "masked" our deficiences
No, a lot of people with blinders have said it's the coach's fault and that we have plenty of talent.

And I think he witnessed the "evolution" over the past year....the Pistol offense. When asked about it he said it makes him "nervous". As in, if a team has a stout D like SF and can chew up clock ( possession ) like SF, it puts the pressure BACK on the opposition offense to EXECUTE FLAWLESSLY. That doesnt happen often.
And that is exactly the expectation our offense has been up against...

I cant figure out why our coaches and scouts have been so inept at discovering and developing defensive talent. Especially, when they have been so magnificent at uncovering and coaching offensive talent. Its just bizarre!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom