Casserly nailed it in the post-PC comments (1 Viewer)

I cant figure out why our coaches and scouts have been so inept at discovering and developing defensive talent. Especially, when they have been so magnificent at uncovering and coaching offensive talent. Its just bizarre!
I would expect that is just a byproduct of Brees and Payton being so complementary, but also a testament to how good Brees is at reading defenses and quickly delivering an accurate pass to the right option.

He makes the rest of the offense that much better. I'm not sure how much success Lance Moore or Colston would have had with another QB. They may have stuck in the league but not had nearly the production they have had.

Brees may be a big part of why these low picks and UDFAs look so good.

We try to shore up our line, but we never get the same performance out of the guys when they get here.

Aubrayo Franklin, Shaun Rogers, Brodrick Bunkley

All 3 of those guys either did or does what we ask of them, which was/is to take up space n blockers. The job of an NT is rarely flashy

As far as Casserly's comments, its news to me that we need a DT who can play the run well. Last time I checked we have 2 guys that do that very well already (Bunkley, Hicks). What we need (amongst other things) is a starter at DT who not only can play the run but who can also get after the QB from the interior (Richardson or Short please) assuming that they won't move Hicks to 3T

I think that 2 and 3 are kind of a big deal. You don't find a HOF safety every day. And you don't find an impact DE with speed either. They're not available where we draft, even at 15 (well, the safety might be). But the bigger problem is that we have had these needs for years and not addressed them, or when we've tried, we've struck out. The defensive scouts?

Wait a minute.....you're saying game changing DE's are not available even at 15, then rag on the defensive scouts because we haven't drafted one in years......??

When was the last time we drafted in the top 10? It was 4 drafts ago. So you can't exactly rag on the staff for not drafting one......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Ezekiel Ansah/Alex Okafor/Dion Jordan in the 1st, Bacarri Rambo in the 3rd, keep the linebackers we have (Lofton, Vilma, Hawthorne, Chamberlain, Casillas/Herring) healthy, and the defense is already better. Get a steal of a DT in the 5th or later like Stefan Charles and you're set.

Seems to me a run stopping DT is also needed. And the offense is going to fall off if we don't get some receivers who get separation, especially down the field. The offense has a need for speed.

I think that the NFL is going to see a move to the "two fat DT" defense as a reaction to the pistol offense. The big tackles will clog the middle and keep the linebackers free to defend the read option without guards mowing them down.

After SP was finished with his press conference, NFLN had their usual stable of talking heads to comment, and Casserly pretty much nailed it, I thought.

He said, "The Saints have played so well on offense in the past few years that their holes on defense have been disguised, but those holes have always been there."

He said our main three needs on D are a pass rush DE, a DT that can play the run, and a cover safety(INDEED).

Having SP back is going to make some impact on the defense, but we need a good FA period and draft on defense.

Hire this man!

I think that the NFL is going to see a move to the "two fat DT" defense as a reaction to the pistol offense. The big tackles will clog the middle and keep the linebackers free to defend the read option without guards mowing them down.

The single biggest thing any defense can do is penetrate the back field. It disrupts everything from the option, passing and rushing. It's just important to maintain discipline and awareness while rushing upfield.

I just dont think DT is a big need for us. Im actually more comfortable with that position than I've been in years. I think a lot of Analyst just see the our run D stats and automatically think "Yep, they need a run plugging DT!" But its just not the case. We got gashed on the edges, and gashed when we were in nickel defense and guys werent playing their gaps and responsibilites, and missing tackle. Shoot, if we just tackle well, I guarantee we could be top 15 in run defense. We still suck at OLB and Will Smith got owned in run defense this year.

Pretty much.

But I think we are at the point here of noting that, yes, the Payton Brees combo is so good on offense it has carried the franchise. Yet, in 6 years, we have not been able to right the defense in such a way to make it just a little better than average.

If we had built just a top 15 defense and had consistent play, we'd prolly have 3 Lombardis at this point. So, really, it's time for maybe Payton and this coaching staff to evolve a little and think about the effort to make this a better rounded team as opposed to just building game plans and management around shootout football.

Drew won't be here forever. If Payton is thinking about a longer career that extends past the Brees era, he's got to get the dials right on all three phases of the game.

Not sure about Casserly, but you (blackadder) surely nailed it...

I love the 3-4 alignment. It really fit the players we currently have. But we need some stout DE who can get after it.

DE-Cam J
DT-Hicks and Bunkley
DE-Dion J (Sam Montgomery)
OLB-Tez Wilson
MLB-Vilma
MLB-Lofton
OLB-Hawthorne (Harper)
CB-P. ROB
CB-Corey White
Nickel-Greer
FS-MJ27 (Eric Ried)
SS-R. Bush (Quadus)

Ried,Montgomery, Dion Jordan
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w9gTeS02Pzk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rI4YulPAHEg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aNh0SgWe3rc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

We need to draft an all-pro caliber defense one of these days. We get patches in free agency every year but keep striking out with defenders year after year. The Packers, Steelers, Texans and Ravens all built and continue to bolster their defenses through the draft. We need to take a long hard look at our player personnel department.
amen i been thinking that for years about the personnel department but no one ever talk about how bad they are at evaluating talent.

Casserly's "insight" was basically an obvious take-away from the lead in and postmortem of SB 44.

Those who thought the Saints would certainly lose (e.g., Dung-y) cited the defensive holes and the inability to rely on turnovers.

Of course, Brees played probably the greatest second half of any SB QB ever (one incompletion IIRC), receivers were so focused that they basically caught everything, and near perfection on offense, plus ambush, and a significant coaching edge, was enough to grab the lead and allow Porter to seal it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom