Casting Companies Put Out "Whites Only" Signs (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Casting Companies Put Out "Whites Only" Signs

Despite federal law barring discrimination in employment based on race, 69 percent of all casting notices this past summer specifically asked for white actors, according to a study by the UCLA School of Law and the UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center, and reported in today's (Friday) Los Angeles Daily News. "Casting directors take into account race and sex in a way that would be blatantly illegal in any other industry," Study author Russell Robinson observed. The study also found that ethnic minorities were not cast in about 80 percent of first-, second- and third-billed leading roles..............

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-12-01/

Certain things need to be color-blind, but there is such a thing as preference.

Do we complain when a white guy only dates white women? There are some roles in movies intended for a white person, or black for that matter?

just wondering...

Well, if the part calls for a white male, then they should hire one and have the right to say so. Acting requires these things, it's not like a technical or sales job for instance where performance is what counts and not skin color.

C

It's actually not illegal for a company to take race into account if they can show where it is explicit to the job. I think this would qualify.

Occupations such as "actor" fall under the Title VII category of a bona fide occupational qualification.

It's probably better known as the "Hooters exclusion".

I always wondered how Eddie Murphy would portray James Bond...

The issue isn't really about the hiring of a specific color of people do do a job. There always has been a major "white" dominance in Hollywood. I don't see this changing ever.

Paul Robeson would appreciate this thread.

I'm sure casting calls for "Showboat" include white lead singers for "Old Man River."

Hey, white actors can also do "Porgy & Bess" just as good as black actors you know...they just have to wear blackface makeup.

I heard they're going to remake "Shaft" with Jim Carrey in the title role.

I'd remake "The Ten Commandments" with Samuel L. Jackson as Moses and Ving Rhames as Rameses. It would be the single most awesome thing ever captured on film. Wayne Brady could be Aaron.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom