CB FA= 100million (1 Viewer)

I see NFL teams shying away from 100 million dollar corner-backs. As a result I also see the union crying about collusion.

I see NFL teams shying away from 100 million dollar corner-backs. As a result I also see the union crying about collusion.

I can't really see them coughing up that kind of contract either,but the contract Alex Rodriguez got in baseball showed me that you can never say never with these owners...i think he'll come to terms around 65-70 which is saying alot in itself....to the union i would say there's no crying in football......i hope we have one helluva draft....peace

I'm thinking that contract demands in the 100 million dollar area will cause teams to go to the cover 2.

Is there no end in sight, to these ridiculous numbers these players are getting? Crazy.

How did it work out for the 49ers?

Exactly. It'll be interesting to see if people shell out the money for Samuel and a few other CBs available. Clement didn't make that big of an impact. Patrick Willis made more of an impact really.

Clements had a good year. Teams just didn't throw on him much because most teams got an early lead on the 9ers and went to the run. I followed 49ers closely this year, Clements wasn't called on to do a lot but he did i. The stigma of our blowout against them doesn't represent his whole season.

Worth that deal? I don't know. We'll really know after seeing the top cornerback deals this offseason and then how Clements stacks up with those corners next year. But he didn't have a poor season by any means.

Yes, but "not having a poor season" doesn't equate to getting one of the biggest contracts ever for a cornerback. I expect the whiners wanted a great season out of him for that kind of money, not a mediocre one. Same with any club, and seeing that the whiners got a decent, but not noteworthy return on their high investment, one would think other owners would be quite hesitant to pull a similar big money deal after observing that.

Exactly. It'll be interesting to see if people shell out the money for Samuel and a few other CBs available. Clement didn't make that big of an impact. Patrick Willis made more of an impact really.

Clements made a huge impact on the 49ers. Clements effectively allowed the 49ers to reshape their defense. It allowed the 49ers to sign Mark Lewis, who had a good year, because they've got two corners who can either play on an island, effectively, or play a zone, effectively.

Clements got beat occasionally, because the 49ers play a great deal of man coverage and had to bring a lot of blitzers to generate any pass rush, and when you bring a lot of blitzers and then don't generate much pressure...the cornerback is hung out to dry.

Also, what people forget is that the 49ers lost Manny Lawson early in the season, and Lawson was, at the time, the linchpin for the entire defense. He was the guy with the size, speed, and coverage skills to be the X factor in the defense.

Clearly, the 49ers still have holes on defense, but they're getting close to having a pretty good defense and Clements is a big part of that.

Yes, but "not having a poor season" doesn't equate to getting one of the biggest contracts ever for a cornerback. I expect the whiners wanted a great season out of him for that kind of money, not a mediocre one. Same with any club, and seeing that the whiners got a decent, but not noteworthy return on their high investment, one would think other owners would be quite hesitant to pull a similar big money deal after observing that.

But here's the thing: every year there will be a "one of the biggest contracts ever for a corner." That's why I said you have to judge Clements' deal compared to the big money corner this year and how the two perform. You can't compare Clements' deal to corners signed before him because the cap is always inflating.

Take Drew's deal. When he signed with us it elevated him into a pay class with Peyton and Brady, and Palmer had just received a big extension. As much as we all love Drew, he's not as good as Brady or Peyton and he's about even with Palmer. But now Tony Romo and Marc Bulger have similar deals, Roethlisberger's gonna get a bigger one this offseason, Derek Anderson will get one that's not far behind, and Hasselbeck and Schaub aren't making much less than Drew. So in hindsight we're getting a steal.

At this time next year, if Asante Samuel makes $100m and has 6 interceptions, and Clements makes $80m with 5, everyone will be talking about what a steal that deal is.

You can't judge a player's talent by his salary. Nobody is "worth" anything, because the exchange rate keeps changing. Just the way it is in the salary cap era.

Is there no end in sight, to these ridiculous numbers these players are getting? Crazy.

Its not ridiculous. The NFL is a business. These guys are the people who bring in the billions of dollars to these teams. They deserve a large slice of the pie.

From an on the field standpoint, though, yeah it sucks.

the price for cover guys will always be high espacially now because of the now pass happy nfl. truth is great cover guys are hard to find so, u either got to draft them and hope they pan out or overspend and hope they panout. its really no way around it really other then switching cover schemes, this trend will continue to grow but i expect it to reach a celing at some point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom