CB first, then LB? (1 Viewer)

Consigliere

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
According to a recent ESPN Insider article, the 2008 LB class has no elite talent but much second-tier talent. Therefore, it might make more sense to grab a CB in the first round and a LB that falls in the second round. What do you think?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...shay_todd&id=3251489&univLogin02=stateChanged

The bad news is that the 2008 crop of linebackers lacks a talent of the same caliber as A.J. Hawk or Patrick Willis. The good news, though, is that this might be the deepest linebacker group in the past five drafts. Don't be surprised if as many as eight second-tier talents come off the board between picks No. 20 and 63 overall (the last selection of the second round).

Problem is, there doesn't appear to be a CB in the draft worthy of the #10 pick.
And before someone says "Trade Down", that's not always that simple.
It's all about value.
I will say this, it wouldn't suprise me (if we stay at #10) if the pick isn't a CB or LB. I'm still not sold that one of the big DT's(Dorsey or Ellis) don't fall a bit. If their gone, you may see us grab an OT.

from the way its looking it appears to be the best way to go (Corner in the first, LB in the second)

I'd take DT in the first, LB in the 2nd.

If the top DT's are off the board, trade down and take a corner (maybe).

Corner is pretty deep, so you can get a quality starting cover corner in the 3rd and 4th round. Defensive tackles are much harder to come by.

Problem is, there doesn't appear to be a CB in the draft worthy of the #10 pick.
And before someone says "Trade Down", that's not always that simple.
It's all about value.
I will say this, it wouldn't suprise me (if we stay at #10) if the pick isn't a CB or LB. I'm still not sold that one of the big DT's(Dorsey or Ellis) don't fall a bit. If their gone, you may see us grab an OT.

369wgsl2.jpg

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

I always think it's funny when posters write, "blah, blah, blah or just trade down". It is not that easy which is why you don't see teams do it much. Every single year you here how the teams at the top of the draft wants to trade down and aquire picks. How many times that happen? Barely ever.......Why.....because it's very hard to not get raped when teams know you want to move down.

The only way we will move down from the 10 spot this year is if Long(OT), McFadden, Dorsey or Ellis fall and someone calls US looking to trade up.

Watch the Cowboys armed with two #1 picks... they will attempt to make a move, especially if McFadden slips past the Falcons and the Raiders, which is a very real possiblility.

Teams do trade up/down all the time... the Saints do it a lot. They traded up to get Jammal Brown. They traded down twice in 2006 in the 2nd and the 4th. They moved all over the place on day 2 in 2007.

The Browns traded their #1 pick for this year to get back in the 2007 draft to take Brady Quinn.

The thing is, these trades don't follow the fans' logic... they don't trade up or down to take the name that is coveted on fan sites, they trade to take a player at a position that supposedly the team is "deep" in -i.e. the Saints trading up in the 4th to take Antonio Pittman or a player where you are scrambling looking up in the index of your draft guide because you had never heard of him.

assuming neither of the 2 DTs fall, and we're unable to trade back, my personal choices for #10 would be, in order: jenkins, connor, rivers, campbell (DE miami), williams (OT vandy)

my choice is BPA regardless of position (except QB)

We'll likely stay put at 10 and just take the BPA. At this point thats Jenkins, Phillips, or Ellis as far as defensive players go. The combine can and will change things. Don't be surprised to see DRC taken top 10 after he lights up the combine.

Yeah, I think we stay at 10 and take a corner, I was just watching NFL Total Access and Mike Mayock just said this Virginia Tech CB is a top ten pick (then went on to say that the guy is 5'9 and may run a 4.5 or lower...what the hell?) So we all might be wrong of who we think it worth...but I like the Kansas CB , or the Troy Corner and I think we may be able to get Lofton in the 2nd...but if he runs a good 40 he may be a building block for one of those other teams picking before us...we pick high in the second, so there is a chance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom