CBA idea to chew on (1 Viewer)

Id sure hate to lose games because Drew couldnt be activated on a given game

Or worse, lose Drew because O linemen couldnt be activated

What about the games you win because the other team doesn’t play an impact player?

I do think this is a good point but I would also add that teams deal with injuries every week.... it’s not preseason where teams don’t game plan to protect the QB but, I’d say this would be the best argument against.

SoA's idea mirrors unplesant bye week roster choices in fantasy football.

For the NFL games, sitting star players would cause an outrage for Vegas and fantasy football players in basing their gambles on unknowns like star players being held out. Ticket-buyers would not feel good about paying for a diminished product on any given week. The NFL needs all of these engaged fans to thrive, so the idea would never happen.

An 18 game season is stupid in terms of the sport already being over-saturated at 22 weeks and with the injury toll. The floating of a trial balloon of 18 games is just the league and its owners pressure-posturing on the future negotiation, saying to the union that if you want more of the pie, you'll have to get it by playing 18 games.

Instead of limiting "games played", limit snaps instead and it gives you more flexibility.

There are already too many rules and too much complexity, which is daunting to potential young fans and causes old fans to love the game less.

Coaches need to put more emphasis on durability and less on speed and flashiness. Some people weren't meant to play football, and when they play them anyway and they get injured, they change the game for them?

How about instead of plays or games, you do it by quarters. Have an 18 game season with 2 bye weeks. You can play any of your players for up to 64 quarters. They must sit for 8 quarters (2 games) over the course of the season.

Now, from a game perspective you could run the score up and give your starters a break in the 4th quarter. Also, this would make for even more game planning as to who plays what game based on strengths. Teams expand the practice squad to 15 players and 10 are protected (can't be signed by another team for X amount of weeks). Game day rosters are the total 53 man roster...not 45. Then you can rotate players back and forth from the active rosters based on need, health, and the specific gameplan of the week.

Just a thought.

Totally different from yours but I would love to see a scenario where a certain percent of a players contract doesn’t affect the salary cap if they were drafted by the team.

It’ll give teams more options to pay their stars and keep them from leaving without crippling the teams salary cap. The longer the player is with the team the higher percentage they aren’t held accountable for.

It’ll give stars a reason to stay with smaller market teams if they could make more money while keeping the parity in the league. It’s a win win for the league and players.

Totally different from yours but I would love to see a scenario where a certain percent of a players contract doesn’t affect the salary cap if they were drafted by the team.

It’ll give teams more options to pay their stars and keep them from leaving without crippling the teams salary cap. The longer the player is with the team the higher percentage they aren’t held accountable for.

It’ll give stars a reason to stay with smaller market teams if they could make more money while keeping the parity in the league. It’s a win win for the league and players.

No real problem with the idea, and in fact, would be a favorite of mine *if* the league added a game to the schedule. 17 team games, but players can only play in 16. My biggest objection to expanding number of games (aside from player safety) is preserving the integrity of statistics over time. This proposal would help to accomplish that, though I can see how it still might skew things (e.g. the starting QB plays 16 games, but one is without his top WR, top LT, ect). I can definitely see how this approach would add some intrigue and difficulty from a coaching perspective.

Andrew Beaton of the Wall Street Journal reports that, as part of the NFL’s push for 18 regular-season games, the league has advanced the possibility of an 18-game season with a per-player limit of 16 games per year.

That idea has been percolating for years; it’s been the subject of multiple PFT stories, PFT Live discussions, and #PFTPM monologues.

So if you wana dump on the idea, tell me your logic on why...
If , like many , attending games is not something you can regularly afford , suppose you saved and sacrificed to make a game in person only to find your favorite player is being rested that week ... or our international friends , all those arrangements and costs , and same deal . That would suck .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom