CBS off-season grades. (1 Viewer)

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

The bigger question and cause for concern centers on their coaching staff. Dennis Allen made poor in-game decisions on fourth down and in scoring position that didn’t turn into points on the scoreboard. Pete Carmichael Jr.’s shortcomings as a play caller were highlighted far too often. The larger issue is that both coaches are going to have the same roles in 2023 that they struggled to hold down in 2022.

This Cody Benjamin CBS thing is such a hack. How is it a free agency eval to ignore the pickups and knock their grade down based on the fact that they're not tanking, and that they're picking up free agents in order to win?

Journalism has become so lazy. Once you hear a take, it keeps coming back over and over. So clearly the narrative for the Saints this year is that they've ignored the cap concerns too long, and should unload players, burn it down to the ground, start over, and stop trying to win.

So Cody is just piling on lazily using the popular theme of the offseason. Regardless of the merit of the opinion, it should be irrelevant. Shouldn't a team who's tanking, dumping salary, and signing no one get the worst free agency grades?? Shouldn't the grades slant toward the teams who signed free agents that will make them better this year, regardless of whether you agree with the philosophy??

And he says "New QB Derek Carr is a gutsy leader who might have a deep playoff run in him...". Seems worthy of a good grade, although he tries to bolster his argument by saying "provided he's got an all-star setup a la Matthew Stafford with the 2021 Rams". Again, the merits of the argument are debatable, but really? If the rest of your team doesn't seem quite good enough, you LOSE points for adding Derek Carr.

I try to ignore the stupidity, and then at some point, I just have to vent. To me, the Saints have had a masterful off-season. Carr is a big upgrade, letting Davenport and Onyemata walk for 2 4ths?? How could that have gone any better? The DL signings, keeping MT and Peat in the fold while reducing their cap hits.... How exactly did we 'double down' on Jamaal Williams? Looks to me like we filled a need with a great fit at a reasonable price.

Stop being so lazy, Cody, and look at the moves....

The bigger question and cause for concern centers on their coaching staff. Dennis Allen made poor in-game decisions on fourth down and in scoring position that didn’t turn into points on the scoreboard. Pete Carmichael Jr.’s shortcomings as a play caller were highlighted far too often. The larger issue is that both coaches are going to have the same roles in 2023 that they struggled to hold down in 2022.
It’s like when a restaurant has bad reviews, so they change their name in hopes that people will forget that the bad chefs still work there if the restaurant rebrands.

I think Derek Carr is gonna be the difference in us winning those close games this year instead of losing then.
He's a QB who can work the way Carmichael prefers to work, giving the QB 3 play options and letting the QB make the right call at the line. We just didn't have that with Winston or Dalton. Let's not discount the fact Carr can throw the long ball to Olive and Shaheed.

Another all too common, lazy, generic Saints take, this time by CBS. Here we have a journalist bad mouthing a team for not rebuilding. Think about that for a second. "How dare you try your hardest and decide to not be terrible!" The Saints are the team that refuses to rebuild and I for one respect them for it. We've been hearing about how the Saints should rebuild for years and years. Lol talking heads were saying we should blow it up while we still had Drew!

I don't agree with all of the decisions the front office makes but I have always respected them for not laying down like we've seen so many teams do. It's mentioned that some teams went into rebuild mode and then stayed there and that's such a good point. You aren't guaranteed future success simply because you throw your hands up and decide to rebuild. The Browns have been in rebuild mode basically my entire life.

Exploding a team to build it back up always seems like a poor strategy to me. First of all, it's very discouraging for the players and thereby runs the risk of producing a losing culture. The perception of the culture spreads to the fan base. Then it spreads to the media and to the NFL world as a whole. How many times have we heard phrases like " Browns gonna Brown" (regardless of whether or not the Browns ever intentionally tanked-- it's about the league wide perception of their losing culture)? It has never made sense to me to concede defeat in the sports world beyond the level of the individual game when behind by an insurmountable margin late in the fourth quarter, for instance.

And then comes the seemingly interminable rebuilding process, which produces frustration for all concerned. How many years does that take? And then, the tanksters have a bad reputation that's hard to discard and may take years to get rid of even if the team has been good for a while.

"You play to win the game."

The point of the article, that I wanted to point out was the concern we all had for our HC and OC and that's their ability to make in game adjustments and though we are having a pretty good offseason personnel wise there are still improvements that need to be made in regard to coaching.

The point of the article, that I wanted to point out was the concern we all had for our HC and OC and that's their ability to make in game adjustments and though we are having a pretty good offseason personnel wise there are still improvements that need to be made in regard to coaching.
Yes, coaching is the main concern.

He is spot on here.....the rest? Not so much.....

This Cody Benjamin CBS thing is such a hack. How is it a free agency eval to ignore the pickups and knock their grade down based on the fact that they're not tanking, and that they're picking up free agents in order to win?

Journalism has become so lazy. Once you hear a take, it keeps coming back over and over. So clearly the narrative for the Saints this year is that they've ignored the cap concerns too long, and should unload players, burn it down to the ground, start over, and stop trying to win.

So Cody is just piling on lazily using the popular theme of the offseason. Regardless of the merit of the opinion, it should be irrelevant. Shouldn't a team who's tanking, dumping salary, and signing no one get the worst free agency grades?? Shouldn't the grades slant toward the teams who signed free agents that will make them better this year, regardless of whether you agree with the philosophy??

And he says "New QB Derek Carr is a gutsy leader who might have a deep playoff run in him...". Seems worthy of a good grade, although he tries to bolster his argument by saying "provided he's got an all-star setup a la Matthew Stafford with the 2021 Rams". Again, the merits of the argument are debatable, but really? If the rest of your team doesn't seem quite good enough, you LOSE points for adding Derek Carr.

I try to ignore the stupidity, and then at some point, I just have to vent. To me, the Saints have had a masterful off-season. Carr is a big upgrade, letting Davenport and Onyemata walk for 2 4ths?? How could that have gone any better? The DL signings, keeping MT and Peat in the fold while reducing their cap hits.... How exactly did we 'double down' on Jamaal Williams? Looks to me like we filled a need with a great fit at a reasonable price.

Stop being so lazy, Cody, and look at the moves....
I agree with you, that the CBS post is lazy and piling on. I’m not against anyone criticizing the saints, but if you do, you must back it up with facts. The CBS article claims to repeat the assumptions it’s heard regarding DAs and PCs failures with decision making and 4th down play calling. How come theres no sources listed or independent facts to back his claim? Todays journalism is lazy repetitive fodder for clicks. Usually listed under a click-bait title.

I welcome all criticism of DA and PC to gain facts to help me create my opinions. But I’ve yet to see one single credible example. Not a Single one. Dont misunderstand, I’m not saying they’re great and infallible, I’m just saying the claim lacks substance.

If someone claims that 4th down or redzone play calling led to a low redzone TD% etc etc, must use something else other than “hindsight” to substantiate their claim. As it stands with me, DA and PC are highly qualified for the job, until they prove otherwise. I tend to believe that people get better over time by gaining experience. They both have a ton of that.

Exploding a team to build it back up always seems like a poor strategy to me. First of all, it's very discouraging for the players and thereby runs the risk of producing a losing culture. The perception of the culture spreads to the fan base. Then it spreads to the media and to the NFL world as a whole. How many times have we heard phrases like " Browns gonna Brown" (regardless of whether or not the Browns ever intentionally tanked-- it's about the league wide perception of their losing culture)? It has never made sense to me to concede defeat in the sports world beyond the level of the individual game when behind by an insurmountable margin late in the fourth quarter, for instance.

And then comes the seemingly interminable rebuilding process, which produces frustration for all concerned. How many years does that take? And then, the tanksters have a bad reputation that's hard to discard and may take years to get rid of even if the team has been good for a while.

"You play to win the game."
Great post. This is such a good point. Once a team is perceived to be losers then it permeates every level. Players don't want to get drafted by them, coaches don't want to coach there, and fans are mentally checked out by mid October. A losing culture is every bit as real as a winning culture. Teams just go through the motions because everyone knows they're in rebuild mode. It becomes, "Why bother? We're going to be terrible anyway."

One of the many things I will be grateful to Sean Payton for was the way he came in and was having no part of a losing culture. No more personal recliners in the locker room. No more me first guys who cared more about individual success than actually winning. No more being okay with losing because we'll get em next year. That was one of the quickest 180s I have ever seen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom